PT Cruiser key question

Old October 29th 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
bllsht[_2_]

Default PT Cruiser key question

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:14:43 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 21:37:57 -0700, bllsht
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 22:00:10 -0400, "Wesley" > wrote:
>>
>>>Is the transponder (key) programmed for the vehicle, or is the vehicle
>>>programmed to recognize the transponder? It would seem to me that the car
>>>would be more easily reprogrammed than the "key"... Not that the system
>>>designers would necessarily think the same way I do of course...!
>>>
>>>Wesley

>>Both are true. The key is programmed with info from the vehicle, and
>>the vehicle is programmed with the key's ID.
>>
>>The key's ID can be erased from the vehicle, but once programmed, the
>>key cannot be reprogrammed to another vehicle.
>>

>What would be the point? I fail to see the logic of it. I'm not
>saying you are wrong.

Wish I could tell ya, but I don't know. Maybe they thought it would
have a negative impact on security of the system.

Old October 29th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

wwilson wrote:
> The responder has two batteries in series. I have replaced mine for a
> 2001 PT. They cost about $4 apiece at my local battery source.

I'm not talking about the remote, I'm talking about the Sentry security
key. Which has no replaceable parts whatsoever.

Old October 29th 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 12:07:14 -0500, Steve > wrote:
>
>> Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
>>> Is the battery replaceable? How long will the Sentry Key work? My 2001
>>> Cruiser uses one.

>> What battery? The key transponder is either powered by the interrogation
>> signal from the car, or is just a passive resonant circuit. No battery.
>> Similar to modern toll road tags, parking garage access tags, RFID price
>> tags, etc. etc.

> The current keys include both the transponder, which needs no battery,
> and the remote buttons for the keyless entry, and that does need the
> batteries. If you buy the simple transponder keys there is no battery
> and it's smaller.

Smaller- but still stupidly big. I HATE modern car keys with big fat
heads holding transponders or remotes. A simple brass key is SO much
more convenient and so much easier to carry on a keyring.

Old October 29th 09, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Pete E. Kruzer[_2_]

> Smaller- but still stupidly big. I HATE modern car keys with big fat
> heads holding transponders or remotes. A simple brass key is SO much
> more convenient and so much easier to carry on a keyring

I'll tell ya what. I'll take the stupidly big key. I offers theft
protection plus
a discount in my auto insurance premiums.

Can you say that for the simple brass key??
Old October 29th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

"Pete E. Kruzer" > writes:

>> Smaller- but still stupidly big. I HATE modern car keys with big fat
>> heads holding transponders or remotes. A simple brass key is SO much
>> more convenient and so much easier to carry on a keyring

> I'll tell ya what. I'll take the stupidly big key. I offers theft
> protection plus
> a discount in my auto insurance premiums.
>
> Can you say that for the simple brass key??

Given the actual size of an RFID tag, there's no need for such a
ginormous head on a transponder key.
Old October 29th 09, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
>> Smaller- but still stupidly big. I HATE modern car keys with big fat
>> heads holding transponders or remotes. A simple brass key is SO much
>> more convenient and so much easier to carry on a keyring

> I'll tell ya what. I'll take the stupidly big key. I offers theft
> protection plus
> a discount in my auto insurance premiums.
>
> Can you say that for the simple brass key??

Doesn't make squat of a difference on my insurance, and auto theft is
just not an issue around here. Especially not our PT cruiser. Gimme a
key that fits in my pocket.

Besides, there's NO reason that a transponder/security key HAS to be as
big as a hockey puck. It could be much smaller, as is the case with the
keyless ignition transponders that fit in a wallet.
Old October 30th 09, 06:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:56:33 -0500, Steve > wrote:

>Ashton Crusher wrote:

>>> What battery? The key transponder is either powered by the interrogation
>>> signal from the car, or is just a passive resonant circuit. No battery.
>>> Similar to modern toll road tags, parking garage access tags, RFID price
>>> tags, etc. etc.

>> The current keys include both the transponder, which needs no battery,
>> and the remote buttons for the keyless entry, and that does need the
>> batteries. If you buy the simple transponder keys there is no battery
>> and it's smaller.

>Smaller- but still stupidly big. I HATE modern car keys with big fat
>heads holding transponders or remotes. A simple brass key is SO much
>more convenient and so much easier to carry on a keyring.

This was what I bought. I don't think it is all that big.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
Old November 2nd 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:
> Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
>> Is the battery replaceable? How long will the Sentry Key work? My 2001
>> Cruiser uses one.

> What battery? The key transponder is either powered by the interrogation
> signal from the car, or is just a passive resonant circuit. No battery.
> Similar to modern toll road tags, parking garage access tags, RFID price
> tags, etc. etc.

That's why you will feel your gonads tingle every once in a while for no
apparent reason.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 2nd 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> ...You set a 1
> by putting a big enough current through a junction to quite literally
> blow a tiny fuse...

That's done using homotrons.

--
Bill Putney