Help wanted : Audi A6 1998 1.8T Auto stalling when hot

Old November 4th 04, 06:25 PM
Gremilex

Default Help wanted : Audi A6 1998 1.8T Auto stalling when hot

When the engine is hot and I am trying low speed maneouvres, the engine
stalls.

If I place the car in neutral and rev the engine and let it settle, it hunts
to the idle speed, but intitially it hunts too low. In the case where it is
in Drive at the low rev range the engine can stall.
Usually happens when pulling away at junctions or traffic lights.

This is not a problem when the engine is cold.

If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Cheers
Grem

Old November 12th 04, 01:06 PM
Gremilex

"Gremilex" > wrote in message
. net...
> When the engine is hot and I am trying low speed maneouvres, the engine
> stalls.
>
> If I place the car in neutral and rev the engine and let it settle, it
> hunts to the idle speed, but intitially it hunts too low. In the case
> where it is in Drive at the low rev range the engine can stall.
> Usually happens when pulling away at junctions or traffic lights.
>
> This is not a problem when the engine is cold.
>
> If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
> Cheers
> Grem

It was the air mass flow meter - (I think that is what they said),
potentiometer was not working.

Old November 12th 04, 08:09 PM
Steve Sears

Grem,
You wouldn't have a K&N air filter installed by any chance, would you?
Cheers!
Steve Sears
1987 Audi 5kTQ
1980 Audi 5k
1962 and '64 Auto Union DKW Junior deLuxes
(SPAM Blocker NOTE: Remove SHOES to reply)
et...

Old November 12th 04, 08:36 PM
Yvan

Nedavno Gremilex pise:

| > When the engine is hot and I am trying low speed maneouvres, the
| > engine stalls.
| >
| It was the air mass flow meter - (I think that is what they said),
| potentiometer was not working.

Not working completely, or not working properly (I have similar problem
on different model)?

--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
Old November 14th 04, 03:04 AM
David

Sounds like a dirty throttle body. Try cleaning it with throttle body
cleaner. Probably a lot of gunk in there.

Old November 17th 04, 11:03 AM
Gremilex

"David" > wrote in message
> Sounds like a dirty throttle body. Try cleaning it with throttle body
> cleaner. Probably a lot of gunk in there.

>> | It was the air mass flow meter - (I think that is what they said),
>> | potentiometer was not working.
>>
>> Not working completely, or not working properly (I have similar problem
>> on different model)?
>>

>> --
>> ___ ____
>> /__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **
>> / / \/ /\ \ ** http://counter.li.org/ **
>> /__/\____/--\__\ ** Reply at: iimperl - at - ml1 - dot - net **

Filters are standard parts no K&N AFAIK.
Symptoms are still there, the air mass flow fix has certainly improved the
performance, but there is still some hunting for idle when cold but slight
improvement when hot.

The garage inform me that there are no other faults being shown on
diagnostics.

The symptoms are a damped oscilation until the throttle finds its correct
position.
My uninformed guess is that it could be a feedback a sensor problem.

Someone mentioned a sticky throttle body, I wonder if it could be
mechanical.

Thanks for all your replies.

Gremilex