thinking of buying a transporter style VW camper

Old July 20th 05, 02:11 PM
Lee Bazalgette - Factory

Default thinking of buying a transporter style VW camper

Hey all,

I'm guessing there's going to be loads of stuff on this group already, but
I'm lookignt o get a transporter style camper van, so could you all list the
dos and donts and what to look out for, or point me to such a list.

many thanks

Lee

Old July 20th 05, 02:42 PM
Speedy Jim

http://www.type2.com/
http://www.westfalia.org/
http://www.limbobus.org/

--

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old July 20th 05, 06:10 PM

rust in floor boards,
light reflectors/covers
door seals,
take it for a test drive and
see if there is noise in the running gear,
rust on dash (leaky windshield seal)

look at oil color. black means someone
hasn't been maintaining oil.
look at distributor cap and rotor. check for
wear.
make sure all tin is in engine compartment,
on bottom side of engine.
does rear end ride low?
interior panels, window roller handles,
interior lights, rubber floor mats,

Jen

Old July 20th 05, 08:03 PM
Paul Broadway

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> rust in floor boards,
> light reflectors/covers
> door seals,
> take it for a test drive and
> see if there is noise in the running gear,
> rust on dash (leaky windshield seal)
>
> look at oil color. black means someone
> hasn't been maintaining oil.
> look at distributor cap and rotor. check for
> wear.
> make sure all tin is in engine compartment,
> on bottom side of engine.
> does rear end ride low?
> interior panels, window roller handles,
> interior lights, rubber floor mats,
>
> Jen

After all that, buy a Vanagon Westy! They are the nicest camping rigs ever!
I have a 1982 Westy that has 125,000 miles on it and it is quite dependable.
Change the oil religiously, be prepared to rebuild the engine at 80,000
miles, and change the oil, air, fuel filters often. The only weak points
are the brakes, they wear out pretty quickly. Don't drive on worn brakes,
it gets expensive quickly. The fuel system is also a weak point, be sure to
replace all of the fuel lines with quality lines. You don't want a rolling
bar-be-que. Other than that, you will be happy in the largest air cooled
Volkswagen van!

--
Paul Broadway
www.broadwaypub.com

Old July 21st 05, 01:33 AM
Bryan

"Lee Bazalgette - Factory" > wrote in
message ...
> Hey all,
>
> I'm guessing there's going to be loads of stuff on this group already, but
> I'm lookignt o get a transporter style camper van, so could you all list
> the dos and donts and what to look out for, or point me to such a list.
>
> many thanks
>
> Lee

Be aware of Adventurewagens (i.e. double bubbles) with their fiberglass
raised roofs. They are difficult to drive in cross winds and get terrible
gas mileage. But once stopped for camping they are awesome.

But they are "rare".

Bryan

Old July 22nd 05, 12:57 PM
Lee Bazalgette - Factory

Thanks y'all - any more stuff greatly appreciated!