Oil Info????

Old March 11th 05, 06:37 PM
Paul Woodsford

Default Oil Info????

Popped into my Alfa/Fiat dealer today to get a 5L can of Selena 20K oil for
topping up.
I didn't realise there was a Fiat version and an Alfa version of the Selena
20K oil.

Can anyone explain the difference, apart from cost that is????

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old March 11th 05, 07:20 PM
Hughes.

In article >,
"Paul Woodsford" > wrote:

> Popped into my Alfa/Fiat dealer today to get a 5L can of Selena 20K oil for
> topping up.
> I didn't realise there was a Fiat version and an Alfa version of the Selena
> 20K oil.
>
> Can anyone explain the difference, apart from cost that is????

The tin looks much nicer for the Alfa one.

--
I Amuse (I am Hughes.)
Judge Nutmeg in #Digi

1998 156 2.0 TS Sport
Old March 11th 05, 10:50 PM
alfistagj

"Paul Woodsford" > schreef in bericht
news
> Popped into my Alfa/Fiat dealer today to get a 5L can of Selena 20K oil
> for topping up.
> I didn't realise there was a Fiat version and an Alfa version of the
> Selena 20K oil.
>
> Can anyone explain the difference, apart from cost that is????

There should be no difference.
Selenia 20K is a SAE 10W-40 full synthetic oil complying to ACEA A3 and API
SJ specifications.
I suppose the oil is the same, but the can print is the only difference.
And, let me guess, the Fiat can is cheaper than the Alfa can!!

Question:
What the h*** is wrong with your engine that you woul be needing 5 liters
for topping up??
If my engine was burning oil that quick, I would change to the cheapest DIY
store oil immediately (or get the engine fixed)
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

Old March 11th 05, 11:55 PM
Paul Woodsford

Remove NOSPAM to reply.
"alfistagj" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Paul Woodsford" > schreef in bericht
> news
>> Popped into my Alfa/Fiat dealer today to get a 5L can of Selena 20K oil
>> for topping up.
>> I didn't realise there was a Fiat version and an Alfa version of the
>> Selena 20K oil.
>>
>> Can anyone explain the difference, apart from cost that is????
>>

> There should be no difference.
> Selenia 20K is a SAE 10W-40 full synthetic oil complying to ACEA A3 and
> API SJ specifications.
> I suppose the oil is the same, but the can print is the only difference.
> And, let me guess, the Fiat can is cheaper than the Alfa can!!
>
> Question:
> What the h*** is wrong with your engine that you woul be needing 5 liters
> for topping up??
> If my engine was burning oil that quick, I would change to the cheapest
> DIY store oil immediately (or get the engine fixed)
> --
> Ciao from Holland
> AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)
> Rosso Radicofani GT 2.0JTS
> Golden Montreal 1428700 (1973/4)

My Last 5L can of oil has lasted for 16500 miles, and I still have 1L left,
so 4L/16500 miles from new.
1L/4125 miles or 1L/6638 Km

That's not too bad is it?

Anyway, oil consumption has decreased as the engine beds in.

--
Paul Woodsford

Old March 12th 05, 01:00 AM
alfistagj

How about changing oil and filter every 12500 miles as in the manual........
Hardly more costs than you have now, but certaily better for the engine!

Old March 12th 05, 10:40 AM
Paul Woodsford

Do you think I'm stupid.
The oil and filter IS changed every 12,000 miles, but the car, well the way
I drive it anyway, uses about 1 L every 4 to 5,000 miles. More when it was
new, less now.
I like to keep it topped upto the mark and check it religiously every week
or before and after any long trip.

A friend who has an Jaguar XKR, noticed the oil light flickered on a steep L
hand bend so decided to top up with oil. The car had done 4,231 miles and
needed 5L to bring it from the Min level on the dipstick to Max.

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old March 12th 05, 12:18 PM
Tony Rickard

"alfistagj" wrote:

> How about changing oil and filter every 12500 miles as in the

manual........
> Hardly more costs than you have now, but certaily better for the engine!

I have got through more than 5 litres topping up my 156 V6 between 12000
mile services. It has done 27k miles now, though most of the topping up was
in the first few 1000 miles.

These cars don't go between services without needing oil - as in the manual!

That is one reason why they are still more for car enthusiasts. The vast
majority of modern car owners don't expect to open the bonnet between
services let alone work out where the oil goes.

The assumption being that there is something wrong with them if they use
oil - which is not the case.

Old March 12th 05, 02:57 PM
Paul Woodsford

Too True

--
Paul Woodsford
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old March 12th 05, 03:58 PM
Tony Rickard

"Antti" wrote:

> > I have got through more than 5 litres topping up my 156 V6 between 12000
> > mile services. It has done 27k miles now, though most of the topping up

was
> > in the first few 1000 miles.

> mine is using about 1 litre in every 10 000kms, what oil are you using?

I've been topping up with Castrol Magnatex, but the biggest use of oil seems
to come after services. I assume my dealer is putting Selena in.

> > That is one reason why they are still more for car enthusiasts. The vast
> > majority of modern car owners don't expect to open the bonnet between
> > services let alone work out where the oil goes.

> there is many cars which needs adding more oil nowadays.
> Opels, Audi v6s, TDIs etc its not just Alfa.
> I would drive any car without checking it once in a while.

Maybe they give the drivers some more warning when they get low so they can
take it to a garage. Most company car drivers I know wouldn't dream of
"maintaining" their car.

Old March 12th 05, 08:33 PM
Pete

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:58:18 GMT, "Tony Rickard"
>, wrote:

> I assume my dealer is putting Selena in.

Obviously not using an Alfa UK dealer <G>
My local main dealer does not even stock 1lr
bottles. All serving is done using a large drum of Castrol

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)

winch info excossack 4x4 4 January 3rd 05 02:28 AM
winch info excossack 4x4 2 December 21st 04 09:07 PM
INFO: Reverse "slipping" on Ford Explorer Greg Ford Explorer 0 December 1st 04 08:00 PM
2007 Cobra engine info from SEMA ? DriveSpy Ford Mustang 2 November 11th 04 04:17 PM
Chevy Aveo and Toyota Echo Hatchback aniram General 42 March 1st 04 07:06 PM