TJ Power Steering Fluid Leak

Old September 12th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
CD

Default TJ Power Steering Fluid Leak

I've got new marks on the ground, just below the steering gear box; and
splatter marks on the underside of the hood just above the power steering
fluid reservoir. I see no obvious leak points in this area (but the bottom
of the gear box is wet). The fluid level was a little low (not dry). I
added some fluid and it seems to steer as always. But, I'm still getting
dripping - not exactly sure of the leak point.

It's a stock 2000 TJ with 70k miles. It is driven on the weekends. It was
out for a few hours of off-roading last weekend in very hot weather. I
noticed no problems at that time. Any ideas on the likely problem - bad
pump, seals, gear box problem? How difficult to fix?

Thanks,

Cliff

Old September 12th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

The new style 2 piece adjustment plug Saganaw uses on the steering shaft
end is very prone to seal failure. You can just buy the seal and
replace it, but a local steering and suspension shop told me that the
best fix was to use the old style single piece plug with a new seal.
They had some and gave us one for the last one I helped a friend fix.

You could just have a hose fitting loose also. A good clean and a
careful watch should tell you where it's leaking.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 13th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
JimG

The symptom where you have splatter on the hood indicates the leak is in the
area near the fan, like around the pump. Look at the back side of the pump
where the hoses connect. Although Mike is correct on the "prone to seal
failure", input shaft leaks typically just soak the gear box and drip to the
ground (I just replaced my TJ gear box a few months ago). The pump is much
easier to repair than the box.

--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift
Warn X8000i

. ..

Old September 13th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

The power steering pump shaft takes a special puller to remove the
pulley: http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/...pspulley-1.htm
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/
Old September 13th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
JimG

Hi Bill,

Indeed you are correct... and Advance Auto (and most of their competitors)
will do it for free (assuming you buy the pump).

JimG

"L.W.(Bill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> The power steering pump shaft takes a special puller to remove the
> pulley: http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/...pspulley-1.htm
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/

Power Steering Fluid Leak BWR Technology 3 March 25th 06 06:34 AM
Power Steering Fluid boils over - steering works fine... How??? spareparts Technology 0 June 21st 05 03:29 PM
Ford F150 Power steering unit leak bingolov 4x4 2 June 15th 05 03:54 AM
Pwr Steering Fluid Leak D Jeep 5 May 28th 05 03:55 PM
Power steering leak Ed VW water cooled 2 December 5th 04 12:46 AM