Congress Paving the Way for Tolls on Interstates

Old March 11th 05, 04:57 PM
Dave C.

"Rox" > wrote in message

> "John Harlow" > wrote in message
> > > Congress Paving the Way for Tolls on Interstates

> > I am simply stunned at the number of positive responses supporting a tax
> > collector building roadblocks in the middle of a damn high speed

roadway.

> The toll booth doesn't need to be in the middle of the roadway. The NJ
> Turnpike, which is part of I-95, has tolls that you pay as you exit.

Do you have to STOP to pay the toll? Yes or no? It's still a roadblock,
even if it's relocated. -Dave

Old March 11th 05, 05:02 PM
Brent P

In article >, Big Bill wrote:

> Your thinking is flawed, in that almost half of wage earners pay no or
> very little income tax. I'm speaking of those on the lower end, not
> the upper end.

I don't see how it matters to my point that those not paying taxes will
have no problem increasing taxes on those that do. Wether it be for the
roads or ice cream every friday.

> A consumption tax (which you said you'd prefer) will never happen in
> the US, as they are *very* regressive.
> Same goes for a flat tax.
> While either would be more *fair* than our current income tax, fair is
> not what's wanted.

Yes, the current system is anything but fair. It is controlled by politics
and thusly one group always gets breaks at the expense of another. Somebody
with kids gets a deduction on their income taxes, I have no kids, I do
not. Yet, by not having children thus far, I require less in government
services, there is no kid of mine in the school systems (yet my property
taxes go to the schools directly, income taxes indirectly), etc and so
forth. And before someone says 'but you benefit from educated childern'
I'll wager it's the same person who would also say since I have no
children I should shut up about how they are to be educated, despite
paying for said education.

And as I have been saying what is wanted, are groups of citizens
demanding money from another group and using the power of government as a
weapon to do it. It's theft just as the mugger does with a gun.

Old March 11th 05, 05:06 PM
SoCalMike

Larry Bud wrote:

> End the withholding, make everybody pay quarterly.

hehe... the way most people spend "extra" money on 24" wheels and DVD
players for their SUVs, they wouldnt have anything saved for the
quarterly bills.
Old March 11th 05, 05:12 PM
John Harlow

> At least for me, having to pay tolls on interstates wouldn't be a big
> deal. At worst, it's an annoyance, IMHO.

A pollution causing intentionally placed safety hazard is far more than an
annoyance to me.

Do you have toll boths in your area? Listen to the traffic reports
sometime. Guess where all the bottlenecks are?

>But it might be very hard to
> get approved and adopted.

One can only hope so. Sadly, we're going to have to pay for the current
dunken sailor's bar tab somehow.

Old March 11th 05, 05:14 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Rox wrote:

> > I am simply stunned at the number of positive responses supporting a tax
> > collector building roadblocks in the middle of a damn high speed roadway.

> The toll booth doesn't need to be in the middle of the roadway. The NJ
> Turnpike, which is part of I-95, has tolls that you pay as you exit.

Oh, sure, great idea: let's emulate NEW JERSEY, of all the ******** places
in the US.
Old March 11th 05, 07:13 PM
bicycle

SoCalMike wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
> >
> > End the withholding, make everybody pay quarterly.

> hehe... the way most people spend "extra" money on 24" wheels and DVD

> players for their SUVs, they wouldnt have anything saved for the
> quarterly bills.

Have you ever had to suffer the embarrassment of your peeps mistaking
your 24" rims for 20's? Well no more because TIS Wheels has the size
of the wheel displayed right on the center cap. It's the SHIZZIT! YO!

This is a direct quote from their website:

"Let Your Size Be Known"
"TIS brand wheels are the first and only wheel to display the size of
the wheel right on the center cap. So there's no guessin' that you're
rollin strong."

<http://www.twentyinchesstrong.com/tis01.html>

Pathetic.

Old March 11th 05, 07:41 PM
SoCalMike

bicycle wrote:
> Pathetic.

oh, man. that IS weak. bling bling, y'all!
Old March 11th 05, 08:28 PM
Bob Ward

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:57:58 GMT, "Dave C." > wrote:

>> > I am simply stunned at the number of positive responses supporting a tax
>> > collector building roadblocks in the middle of a damn high speed

>roadway.
>>
>> The toll booth doesn't need to be in the middle of the roadway. The NJ
>> Turnpike, which is part of I-95, has tolls that you pay as you exit.
>>

>Do you have to STOP to pay the toll? Yes or no? It's still a roadblock,
>even if it's relocated. -Dave

Unless you have a transponder.
Old March 11th 05, 08:32 PM
John Harlow

> Unless you have a transponder.

Now these make a bad idea (toll roads) even worse. I remember when the
tolls doubled here - to PAY FOR THE FORTHCOMING TOLL COLLECTION SYSTEM!

MORONS!