clutch fails to disengage

Old September 12th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bladica

Default clutch fails to disengage

i have a 1991 mazda miata and when i go to start my car and i press in
my clutch the clutch doesnt disengage. when i go to start it it starts
to start but rolls back as if clutch pedal wasnt pressed in. it is a
stage 1 racing clutch. and i just rebuilt the master cylinder just in
case that was the problem but it wasnt. any suggestions?

Old September 12th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article . com>,
"bladica" > wrote:

> i just rebuilt the master cylinder just in
> case that was the problem but it wasnt. any suggestions?

What about the slave cylinder?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 12th 06, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bladica

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article . com>,
> "bladica" > wrote:
>
> > i just rebuilt the master cylinder just in
> > case that was the problem but it wasnt. any suggestions?

> What about the slave cylinder?
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

i replaced it when i replaced my clutch could something have happened
to it?

Old September 12th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Scott Hughes

"bladica" > wrote in news:1158078427.037343.141590
@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> Lanny Chambers wrote:
>> In article . com>,
>> "bladica" > wrote:
>>
>> > i just rebuilt the master cylinder just in
>> > case that was the problem but it wasnt. any suggestions?

>> What about the slave cylinder?
>>
>> --
>> Lanny Chambers
>> '94C, St. Louis
>> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

> i replaced it when i replaced my clutch could something have happened
> to it?

How long ago was that?
Old September 12th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bladica

Scott Hughes wrote:
> "bladica" > wrote in news:1158078427.037343.141590
> @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Lanny Chambers wrote:

> >> What about the slave cylinder?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Lanny Chambers
> >> '94C, St. Louis
> >> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

> > i replaced it when i replaced my clutch could something have happened
> > to it?
> >

> How long ago was that?

i changed it december or january and have put 7000 miles on it

Old September 12th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bladica

bladica wrote:
> Scott Hughes wrote:
> > "bladica" > wrote in news:1158078427.037343.141590
> > @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

> > > i replaced it when i replaced my clutch could something have happened
> > > to it?
> > >

> > How long ago was that?

> i changed it december or january and have put 7000 miles on it

Oh yeah the problem goes away when i bleed the system and make sure
theres no air in it but it comes right back. is there a way air is
getting in. i am not loosing any fluid but it does get a black residue
in it. if theres anything you neet to know to help us figure this out i
can tell you just about anything. i do ALL the work on my car.

Old September 12th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

bladica wrote:

> Oh yeah the problem goes away when i bleed the system and make sure
> theres no air in it but it comes right back. is there a way air is
> getting in. i am not loosing any fluid but it does get a black residue
> in it. if theres anything you neet to know to help us figure this out i
> can tell you just about anything. i do ALL the work on my car.

There is your problem, not doing all the work on your car, the fact that
you need to re-bleed the system at all. :-)
This is an obvious indication that the problem is related to the system
not being sealed.

Does the clutch feel good after bleeding and get progressively worse?

Black residue is common after a while if you don't change the fluid
regularly, though the fact that it is showing up after only 7,000 miles
would also help indicate that air, (and a little dirt), are getting
pulled into the system.

The fact that you are not leaking fluid would have me guess that you
have all of the hydraulic lines hooked up correctly and that the problem
is probably a defective master or slave cylinder, most likely the master
cylinder since the slave cylinder usually leaks when it is not working
correctly.

Pat
Old September 12th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
pws > wrote:

> The fact that you are not leaking fluid would have me guess that you
> have all of the hydraulic lines hooked up correctly and that the problem
> is probably a defective master or slave cylinder, most likely the master
> cylinder since the slave cylinder usually leaks when it is not working
> correctly.

Agreed. I know you just rebuilt the master, but did you hone the
cylinder before putting in the new piston? Did a piece of dirt get in
and score the cylinder or seal?

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old September 12th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bladica

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >,
> pws > wrote:
>
> > The fact that you are not leaking fluid would have me guess that you
> > have all of the hydraulic lines hooked up correctly and that the problem
> > is probably a defective master or slave cylinder, most likely the master
> > cylinder since the slave cylinder usually leaks when it is not working
> > correctly.

> Agreed. I know you just rebuilt the master, but did you hone the
> cylinder before putting in the new piston? Did a piece of dirt get in
> and score the cylinder or seal?
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> '94C, St. Louis
> http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

so i need to take it apart and hone the cylinder ?

Old September 12th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
bladica

bladica wrote:
> Lanny Chambers wrote:
> > In article >,
> > pws > wrote:
> >
> > > The fact that you are not leaking fluid would have me guess that you
> > > have all of the hydraulic lines hooked up correctly and that the problem
> > > is probably a defective master or slave cylinder, most likely the master
> > > cylinder since the slave cylinder usually leaks when it is not working
> > > correctly.

> > Agreed. I know you just rebuilt the master, but did you hone the
> > cylinder before putting in the new piston? Did a piece of dirt get in
> > and score the cylinder or seal?
> >
> > --
> > Lanny Chambers
> > '94C, St. Louis
> > http://www.hummingbirds.net/alignment.html

> so i need to take it apart and hone the cylinder ?

the piston and seals that i took out where in good shape. i just got in
the car and i had to pump the clutch (like 50 times) and then it
started fine