95 sl2 auto trans broken

Old August 27th 04, 05:23 PM
Dave V

Default 95 sl2 auto trans broken

I have issues with my 95 automatic and had it checked out by a local
mechanic that I trust.

I know he checked the valve body and and a couple other things and its clear
the parts were actually checked because all the muck is gone and the threads
are shiny

He says its fried and he guesses the clutch packs. It wont stay in 4th any
more.

He gave me a price for putting in a used trans and for having the existing
one rebuilt for $1700

The care has 210,000 on it and he recommends just getting something else

I have called a couple junk yards in my area and I can get a used trans from
a 98 for $600 and the car has 77,000 on it

A quick flip thru my hanes manual shows having to take the engine and trans
out together, i thought that was odd

Has anyone changed one of these ? I have a garage, tools, and some
experienced help if I need it. Its been a while since I did a job that big.
Any known issues with putting a 98 trans in a 95 ?

Anyone have a reccomendation ?

thanks,
DaveV

Old August 27th 04, 09:14 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article >,
"Dave V" > wrote:

> He says its fried and he guesses the clutch packs. It wont stay in 4th any
> more.

Blown seal or clutch pack. Either way, it's toast.

> He gave me a price for putting in a used trans and for having the existing
> one rebuilt for $1700

Ick.

> The care has 210,000 on it and he recommends just getting something else

Is everything else ok? 210,000 isn't bad for an automagic tranny. Of
course, if the rest of the car's fine, then it might make sense to keep
it. but if it's gotother problems, it might be better to replace.

> I have called a couple junk yards in my area and I can get a used trans from
> a 98 for $600 and the car has 77,000 on it

Yow. I'd shop some more. Realize used might = used up. Of course, you
could always buy one, rebuild it, and install it yourself. Automatics
aren't hard to do, but they have to be SPOTLESS and the clearences set
just right, plus a new torque converter.

Where are you located, anyway? If you're anywhere near Binghampton, NY,
i know a place where you can get a just about any car tranny (within
reason!) for about $80. (!)

> A quick flip thru my hanes manual shows having to take the engine and trans
> out together, i thought that was odd

Not really - that's how it went in.

> Has anyone changed one of these ? I have a garage, tools, and some
> experienced help if I need it. Its been a while since I did a job that big.

Nope. I've done RWD cars, but no FWD.

> Any known issues with putting a 98 trans in a 95 ?

They might have changed it in '96 due to OBDII. I don't know.

> Anyone have a reccomendation ?

If the car's good, you might want to try it. If there's other problems,
stick a fork in it. If you change trannies, remember to flush flush
flush the cooler out really good.

Replace Manual Trans w/ Auto Dean Jeep 2 December 1st 04 06:51 AM
1992 525i Auto Trans question Scott BMW 1 October 10th 04 03:14 PM