Motor oil found in coolant.

Old June 29th 04, 03:24 AM
H20Rapidz

Default Motor oil found in coolant.

I have a 1992 SL1 with 84,000 miles on it.
the low coolant light came on and I checked the level.
when I did I noticed what seems to be motor oil mixed with the coolant.
Has anone else had this happen?
I think a gasket must be leaking somewhere.
Old June 29th 04, 03:37 AM
James1549

Sounds like a head gasket or bad head.

James
Old June 29th 04, 05:25 AM
Blind Saturn Drive

Yes, definitely a head gasket. Happened to one of my SL's.

Old July 1st 04, 03:25 PM
ben@

Or might be oils from inside new set of cooling system hoses as I have had
each time I've replaced the hoses. Hoses replaced twice, at 100,000 miles
per set, and still no cracked head at 255,000 miles, 2000 SL2.

Be sure it is a cracked head before spending the BIG $.

Old July 4th 04, 01:07 PM
Matt hotmail

The cracked head issue is with the 1996 and earlier SOHC models only. Some
people have been able to get the Saturn facilities to pay for later SOHC
models but not many. A 2000 SL2 should have no problems. I would expect
Saturn to still cover at least 50% of the cost for your 1992 SL1. Get it
done know.
Good Luck.

Old July 6th 04, 03:41 AM
H20Rapidz

Well I took the car in today I havent heard anything yet.
My newsgroup browser only allows me to review articles from past 30 days.
If the head is cracked which I believe will be the case becuase there is no
smoke coming from exaust pipe and the coolant was like grey slug.
How do I argue with saturn that this is a factory mistake?
I know they wont admit there was a problem with the head cracking with 96 and
prior SOHC engines.
Old July 6th 04, 04:09 PM
H20Rapidz

Well I heard back from the dealership.
They want $500 to tear the head down to see if it is the gasket or the head.
this is not the repair just the tear down.
I called a few engine exchange places and it will cost me $3000 to rebuild my
engine new pistons rings bearings oil pump with 3 year unlimited mile warrenty.
$3000 is a lot but I get a motor with 0 miles. compared to a $1200 repaired
head on a motor with 85,000 miles on it.
The car is in great shape and wonder if the rebuild is the better option.
Old July 6th 04, 08:28 PM
Steve

> "ben@" > wrote in message
> > Or might be oils from inside new set of cooling system hoses as I have

had
> > each time I've replaced the hoses. Hoses replaced twice, at 100,000

miles
> > per set, and still no cracked head at 255,000 miles, 2000 SL2.
> >
> > Be sure it is a cracked head before spending the BIG $.

> > "H20Rapidz" > wrote in message
> > > I have a 1992 SL1 with 84,000 miles on it.
> > > the low coolant light came on and I checked the level.
> > > when I did I noticed what seems to be motor oil mixed with the

coolant.
> > > Has anone else had this happen?
> > > I think a gasket must be leaking somewhere.

"Matt hotmail" > wrote in message
. com...
> The cracked head issue is with the 1996 and earlier SOHC models only.

<snip>

Looks like you've bought into Saturn propaganda. From many other posts
here and in the NHTSA database, this problem continued on through *at least*
1999. I would not be at all surprised to discover that owners of 2000
models also have the problem.

Old July 6th 04, 08:32 PM
Steve

"H20Rapidz" > wrote in message
> Well I heard back from the dealership.
> They want $500 to tear the head down to see if it is the gasket or the

head.
> this is not the repair just the tear down.
> I called a few engine exchange places and it will cost me $3000 to rebuild

my
> engine new pistons rings bearings oil pump with 3 year unlimited mile

warrenty.
> $3000 is a lot but I get a motor with 0 miles. compared to a $1200

repaired
> head on a motor with 85,000 miles on it.
> The car is in great shape and wonder if the rebuild is the better option.

At suggestion of my dealer's service manager, I contacted Saturn
Customer Service (there was a link to them on the Saturn web site). Saturn
agreed to pay for the parts; I paid for the labor, total cost to me just
over $1000. YMMV. In fact, since you have an earlier model (mine is a 1999
SL), you may be covered under the warrantee extension (to 10 years/100,000
miles), although my information was that it covered 1994-1996 model years.
Good luck!