Decisions, decisions...

Old October 19th 04, 11:26 AM
Dr Entropy

Default Decisions, decisions...

Dear Alfisti,

The Weber'd 1750 Spider is starting to push some oil out the tailpipe... blue smoke in wisps after
a long run at speed. I suspect worn valve guides as I didn't replace 'em at the last rebuild (Dec
'99 IIRC).

Here's the dilemma:
I have a "spare" 1750 head, some new guides, etc. but no shop to renew it meself so it will need
to go to a machine shop: $$$... I ~also~ have a spare, tired 2-L engine. Rebuilding that for
maximum "wow!" is beginning to appeal. So should I just do up the 1750 head (camming it would be
part of the "deal"), or just go for the "Full Monte" and start ordering 2000cc parts???

TIA for any/all 1750 vs. 2000 opinions.

Torn in Tampa

Dr E--
mhm 17x1

Linux: Load it, Learn it, Love it.
Old October 19th 04, 03:12 PM
Catman

Dr Entropy wrote:

> Dear Alfisti,
>
> The Weber'd 1750 Spider is starting to push some oil out the tailpipe...
> blue smoke in wisps after
> a long run at speed. I suspect worn valve guides as I didn't replace 'em
> at the last rebuild (Dec '99 IIRC).
>
> Here's the dilemma:
> I have a "spare" 1750 head, some new guides, etc. but no shop to renew
> it meself so it will need
> to go to a machine shop: $$$... I ~also~ have a spare, tired 2-L engine.
> Rebuilding that for maximum "wow!" is beginning to appeal. So should I
> just do up the 1750 head (camming it would be part of the "deal"), or just
> go for the "Full Monte" and start ordering 2000cc parts???
>
> TIA for any/all 1750 vs. 2000 opinions.

2000 YKIMS

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 20th 04, 09:00 AM
barks

My opinion is that you should keep the car original.(matching engine numbers
etc)

I have had both a 1600GT Junior & 2000GTV 105 but never driven a car with a
1750 engine.

It seems to me that the general concensence in OZ , after discussing various
engine options over the last 30 odd years with various drivers of Alfa's, is
that the 1750 engine is the sweetest of them all.

As far as Iam aware all 1750 Spiders delivered here were round tails.

Iwould be reluctant to put a 2ltr engine in one of these

Barks
105 GTV2000
Alfa 33
156 JTS

Old October 20th 04, 08:17 PM
Alfistagj

Maybe worth while not doing anything else than topping up the oil regularly.
Certainly much cheaper that any engine rebuild or change!!
--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Dr Entropy" > schreef in bericht