No Oil Filter???

Old November 11th 04, 12:13 AM
Shaggie

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:39:39 GMT, "Raymond Lowe" >
wrote:

>Shaggie wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:59:07 +0200, Jan Andersson
>> > wrote:

>>> Sounds like your rings are shot John Either that or you
>>> converted to 2-stroke
>>>
>>> Please explain to me where the vacuum inside the engine case comes
>>> from?

>> I've been wondering where the vacuum during deceleration in the
>> crankcase comes from. I didn't know that happened. I can understand
>> the vacuum in the intake manifold during deceleration, but not in the
>> crankcase. I mean the throttle closes so air/fuel isn't dumping into
>> the intake, but the pistons are still going and sucking in what they
>> can through the intake valve on the intake stroke so that would cause
>> vacuum in the intake area. I don't get it for the case, though.

>On the power stroke, the hot gasses are forced behind the rings and the
>pressure expands them outward to the cylinder surface. This is how the
>rings seal. On the intake stroke, the rings have only internal tension
>holding them outward which means they seal far less.
>
>When the vacuum spikes on deceleration, this is felt in the combustion
>chamber during the intake stroke. Especially since you no longer have
>the charge velocity to compensate.

I understand that much 100%...

> And, with very little happening on
>the power stroke to offset this,

"this" = what? I think you mean "this" = "vacuum on intake/combustion
side."

> the net result is vacuum (or suction)

Suction on intake/combustion side of things on the power stroke,
right?

>drawing crankcase air around the rings and through the ring gaps.
>The resulting vacuum in the case draws air in from your vent.

So you're saying all of the vacuum in the crankcase is a result of
vacuum in the intake/combustion and is from gases escaping past the
piston rings? Like osmosis or something, right? Stuff moving through
a semi-permeable membrane (around the rings) from an area of higher
concentration to an area of lesser concentration or something to move
towards forming a happy balance in pressure? If that's the case I'd
hope that at least the vacuum in the crankcaseseen on deceleration is
several orders of magnitude less than what is seen on the
intake/combustion side of the piston or I'd think you've got some
serious ring wear. Unless I didn't understand your explanation.
Thanks for at least trying to explain it to me. I'd love to know if I
followed your explanation ok or if I missed something.

--

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite,
and furthermore always carry a small snake.
Old November 11th 04, 12:18 AM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Shaggie wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:30:16 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
> et> wrote:
>

>>Shaggie wrote:

>>>OK, then I won't answer it... :-)
>>>

>>Okay then. Make that a Bob Hoover, Jan, or Shaggie kinda question.
>>
>>Your move.
>>
>>--

> *knocks chess pieces all over the board with frustrated look*
> OK, where's Bob or Jan when you need them!?!? ;-)
> I dunno, dude. I was just feeling left out and trying to be a part of
> things. *sniffle* Wow, Dan Rather almost cried during the closing of
> the news just now. I'm kinda shook-up over that. :-/

Jeez, Shaggie -- I'm sorry! Didn't mean to overlook you! But now that
you've made a scene about it and everyone in class is looking at you,
come up to the front of the classroom and tell everyone what you know
about dished cams.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old November 11th 04, 12:29 AM
Shaggie

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:18:41 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
et> wrote:

>Shaggie wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:30:16 -0800, "Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
>> et> wrote:

>>>Okay then. Make that a Bob Hoover, Jan, or Shaggie kinda question.
>>>
>>>Your move.
>>>
>>>--

>> *knocks chess pieces all over the board with frustrated look*
>> OK, where's Bob or Jan when you need them!?!? ;-)
>> I dunno, dude. I was just feeling left out and trying to be a part of
>> things. *sniffle* Wow, Dan Rather almost cried during the closing of
>> the news just now. I'm kinda shook-up over that. :-/
>>

>Jeez, Shaggie -- I'm sorry! Didn't mean to overlook you! But now that
>you've made a scene about it and everyone in class is looking at you,
>come up to the front of the classroom and tell everyone what you know
>about dished cams.

They're dished.
*shuffles feet, tries to hide boner that popped up at the worst time
like they always do*

Old November 11th 04, 12:36 AM
Tim Rogers

et> wrote in message

> Jeez, Shaggie -- I'm sorry! Didn't mean to overlook you! But now that
> you've made a scene about it and everyone in class is looking at you,
> come up to the front of the classroom and tell everyone what you know
> about dished cams.

...............This is going to be good.

<getting my spitballs ready>

Old November 11th 04, 12:39 AM

Shaggie wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:39:39 GMT, "Raymond Lowe" >
> wrote:

[BIG ol' discussion snipped]

> Thanks for at least trying to explain it to me. I'd love to know if I
> followed your explanation ok or if I missed something.

Keep askin' questions, Shaggie -- I'm totally drawing a blank on this
whole vacuum in case issue. Raymond: you took a good shot at explaining
it, and for someone sharper than me, a light bulb might have gone off,
indicating enlightenment. But as it stands, I am benighted in my
inability to understand how the case can have any vacuum at all. All I
picture is this big hot magnesium box with pistons going in and out,
those going out matching the swept volume of those going it, and bitty
bursts of hot gases leaking into the case on every power stroke. The
very concept of the case developing negative pressure w/r/t the outside
world boggles me.

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
-=-=-
The fact that it works is immaterial.
-- L. Ogborn
------------------------------------
Old November 11th 04, 01:43 AM
Kidd Andersson

Umm.. because I'm a pain in the ass, and because I have nothing better to do, I
just thought I would point out that Jan said:

>The most important thing in my opinion will get
>adequately taken care of: pressure relief.

And:

>white creamy mayonnaise-like substance

in the same post. Just found that interesting.

Kidd

"We're friends. You smile, I smile. You hurt, I hurt. You cry, I cry. You jump
off a bridge.... I'm gonna miss your dumb ass."
Old November 11th 04, 02:04 AM
John Connolly

How can it get pressurized Mike? Could it be that pressure in the combustion
chamber makes it's way past the rings and pressurizes the crankcase?

Under decelleration, you have an engine that's trying to turn fast, and a
closed throttle, resulting in a high vacuum. Now air in the crankcase is
sucked into the chamber (again, past the rings).

you can't assume the rings are 100% effective, then it makes some sense. The
entire reason you need a crankcase vent in the first place is because of
combustion gasses making their way past the rings. The same issue is present
under high vacuum.

John
Aircooled.Net Inc.

Old November 11th 04, 02:27 AM

Kidd Andersson wrote:
> Umm.. because I'm a pain in the ass, and because I have nothing better to do, I
> just thought I would point out that Jan said:
>

>>The most important thing in my opinion will get
>>adequately taken care of: pressure relief.

> And:
>
>>white creamy mayonnaise-like substance

> in the same post. Just found that interesting.

Wow. And I thought that /I/ had a dirty little mind. But Kidd:
"Mayonnaise-like"? What's Jan been eating?

Old November 11th 04, 02:40 AM

John Connolly wrote:
> How can it get pressurized Mike? Could it be that pressure in the combustion
> chamber makes it's way past the rings and pressurizes the crankcase?
>
> Under decelleration, you have an engine that's trying to turn fast, and a
> closed throttle, resulting in a high vacuum. Now air in the crankcase is
> sucked into the chamber (again, past the rings).
>
> you can't assume the rings are 100% effective, then it makes some sense. The
> entire reason you need a crankcase vent in the first place is because of
> combustion gasses making their way past the rings. The same issue is present
> under high vacuum.

Hang on -- when a piston is pulling against a vacuum there certainly is
a pressure differential across it. And the most extreme case would be if
there was a total vacuum in the combustion chamber. The inside of the
case is pretty close to atmospheric pressure -- 16psi. So the maximum
pressure differential across the piston would be 16psi and not an ounce
more. That's several orders of magnitude less than the pressure on the
outside of the piston when the air/fuel mixture is burning during the
power stroke -- anyone got the figures for peak combustion chamber
pressure for these engines?

(Of course, if the rings leak a lot when there isn't much pressure
across the piston, and very little when the pressure is great, or if
they seal better in one direction than another, my whole argument
collapses like a bunch of broccoli.)

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
84 Westphalia: "Mellow Yellow (The Electrical Banana)"
KG6RCR
-=-=-
Actual Test Answers Music Teachers Have Received, #27:
My favorite instrument is the bassoon. It is so hard to play
people seldom play it. That is why I like the bassoon best.
Old November 11th 04, 03:07 AM
ilambert

Chris had already answered why they changed the design.Makes sense too.More
meat at the cam/pump interface.