London.

Old July 23rd 05, 10:10 PM
Dave Milne

OTOH, it seems our intelligence is crap, as they admit they shot the wrong
guy, and
there is some debate as to whether they gave any warning.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711021.stm

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

"Dave Milne" > wrote in message
. uk...
> well, that's the third attempt in two weeks. Looks like our Intelligence
> service is very good as they were watching him.
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland
> '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
>
> "L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> > I liked the way your citizens beat the one bombers to death. It's
> > about time we clean house.
> > God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> > http://www.billhughes.com/
> >
> > Dave Milne wrote:
> > >
> > > hurrah, "plain clothes police" (i.e secret service intelligence

officers
> > > probably) shot a suicide bomber dead today and captured another !
> > >
> > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4706787.stm
> > >
> > > The Muslims are bricking themselves now we have a shoot to kill

policy.

Old July 23rd 05, 11:01 PM
DougW

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:
> OTOH, it seems our intelligence is crap, as they admit they shot the wrong
> guy, and
> there is some debate as to whether they gave any warning.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4711021.stm

The guy vaulted the ticket barrier and ran straight for the train.

Given all that's gone on there I'd have shot him too.

Then again if you go to any metro you find the odd person that
jumps the gate. Some subways now use a checkpoint you can't jump.

Some people feel the need to do stupid things at the wrong time.
These days being stupid can get you killed.

It's like security where I work. The signs that say "Deadly Force
Authorized" used to be a laugh. Now it's no joke.

--
DougW

Old July 23rd 05, 11:13 PM
Dave Milne

Operation Kratos (the authority on which we have a shoot to the head policy
to avoid hitting a bomb strapped round the torso), is an intelligence-led
system which requires them to identify the target in advance and take them
out. Clearly they took out their target very professionally (no criticism of
the officers at all), but someone in intell cocked up.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 26th 05, 11:22 PM
Billy Ray

Dave,

I was sporadically listening to these reports during my camping /
off-roading visit to Canada. Part of the time the only radio reception was
a French station so I had some difficulty following their rapid speech

Several questions came to mind when this occurred.

It "seemed odd" that there was such a delay in the identification of the
man.

The contents of his rucksack and if anything was inside his coat was not
mentioned.

The following day's brief report that the man was "completely innocent" did
not address (or even mention) why he was in a house full of terrorists or
was wearing a winter coat in July, or that the police were acting within
current security rules of engagement.

No further mention of the victim's failure to comply with the 'police' order
to stop, his running away, or his jumping onto a train to elude the
'police'

The victims brother (also supposedly Brazilian) ,in an interview, did not
sound like any Brazilian (Portuguese) accent I have ever heard.

The whole story sounds fishy. Will we hear in a few days or weeks that this
terrorist cell suspected they were being watched and sent a 'blocker' to
gauge the 'police' response while the real terrorists went out the back
door?

The truth may never be known. He may have been innocent. He may have been
a red herring. He may have been used by the 'police' as a warning or example
to terrorists. Hopefully he was not innocent and selected at random by the
police to be used as a warning.

For what it is worth I was happy to hear that the 'police' in a country
where the police do not carry guns were able to hit a target with 100%
accuracy.

. uk...

Old July 26th 05, 11:42 PM
Billy Ray

'political prisoners' ; they swiftly realised that they had better stop or
> else, and the misty-eyed "my great grandpappy was a leprechaun"
> Irish-Americans stopped funding them).

Weren't the Scots kinda upset about the British occupation of their country
for a while?

Old July 27th 05, 08:40 AM
Dave Milne

It seems that he was an illegal immigrant (and immigrant checks are often
done on tube stations). As our police don't normally carry guns he felt safe
in legging it.He lived in the same apartment block as some terrorist
suspects, but not in the same apartment. There is some question over whether
these guys were policemen, but if they were they were marksmen trained by
the SAS. Looks like they got him 7 times in the head and once in the
shoulder.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 27th 05, 08:46 AM
Dave Milne

We had several conventional wars over it. Ireland is a bit different; the
northern irish (protestant) don't want to be one country with the southern
irish (catholic). That's the conventional line; the truth is that the IRA
and the ulster lot ran protection rackets using the above as an excuse. As
long as everyone paid up to one side or the other, they were happy. Not
really about occupation or religion.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old July 27th 05, 05:32 PM
Billy Ray

My thought all along was it was a SAS operation not 'police'. Such
operations also happen in the US where law enforcement agencies will....
'borrow'... military personnel on detached duty or members of the state's
'National Guard' as it is 'illegal' in most cases for the US military to be
used against American Citizens within the borders of the US.

. uk...

Old July 27th 05, 05:39 PM
Billy Ray

I tell genealogy friends I an 50% German, 25% Swedish, and 25% Irish and
they can finedme "Crying in my beer while I plan to take over the world and
make it safe for statuesque blonds and petite redheads."

My grandfather Kelly's parents were from County Louth so I heard all the
stories growing up.

. uk...

Old July 28th 05, 08:33 PM
Dave Milne

I note that the IRA have now decided to stop being terrorists (yeah right).

The White house said it understood that "the IRA and its members will no
longer have any contact with any foreign paramilitary and terrorist
organisations".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4720863.stm

However, our whining ****wit spinless wonder of a prime-minister, who has
been responsible for letting these murdering *******s out of gaol on the
grounds that they are political prisoners, said it was a "step of
unparalleled magnitude".

Somehow If Al Quaeda terrorists renounced bombs, I can't see Bush reacting
with praise and claims that it was the greatest thing ever.

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

London Olympics Ross Garrett BMW 12 July 7th 05 09:01 PM
Impact Group [email protected] Driving 2 May 11th 05 06:33 PM
London to use intelligent speed traps to catch highway killers Jim Yanik Driving 1 April 14th 05 06:06 PM
Independent BMW garages - London SW moxy BMW 2 March 25th 05 04:34 PM
E39 Police Cars in London [email protected] BMW 32 February 5th 05 11:31 PM