2000 Honda Odyssey Check Engine Lights - Epidemic?

Old January 5th 05, 07:32 PM
sundance

Default 2000 Honda Odyssey Check Engine Lights - Epidemic?

Well... we are going on our 4th visit to the Honda Dealer with a check
engine light - Code P1456. After telling us multiple times that we are
not tightening the gas cap enough (pretty easy to master, and very
insulting to our intelligence), and after having purchased another Honda
gas cap, we are still having the problems where the check engine light
will come on for a couple of weeks and then go off for a week, then come
back on, etc. We have paid the $94 fee twice now, and refused to pay it
the third time (the check engine light actually went off as my wife was
driving ot to the dealer today). My suspicion is that we in fact do have a
larger problem, possibly with a catalytic converter, and that the dealer
doesn't want to bother now (we just turned 70k miles and have 100k mile
warranty. Is this an epidemic for Odysseys or is it just ours? I believe
Honda is misusing the purpose of the check engine light, which in the old
days, if this light came on, you began a search for a new car... pretty
hard to ignore. I am a loyal Honda owner, but am quickly losing my
loyalty. Anyone have any ammo I can use at the dealer?

Old January 5th 05, 07:50 PM
Sean Dinh

Not a single Check Engine in my 99, yet...

Old January 5th 05, 09:57 PM
Woody

You probably have a cracked hose or something defective in the evap system.
Your dealer is not doing a complete job to find the problem. Any loss of
vacuum/pressure in the tank will cause the problem. It might be better for
you to find an independent servicer to troubleshoot the problem. Also check
out the forum at www.odyclub.com for lots of help and information....

lkaboutautos.com...

Old January 5th 05, 11:58 PM
motsco_ _

sundance wrote:
> Well... we are going on our 4th visit to the Honda Dealer with a check
> engine light - Code P1456. After telling us multiple times that we are
> not tightening the gas cap enough (pretty easy to master, and very
> insulting to our intelligence), and after having purchased another Honda
> gas cap, we are still having the problems where the check engine light
> will come on for a couple of weeks and then go off for a week, then come
> back on, etc. We have paid the $94 fee twice now, and refused to pay it
> the third time (the check engine light actually went off as my wife was
> driving ot to the dealer today). My suspicion is that we in fact do have a
> larger problem, possibly with a catalytic converter, and that the dealer
> doesn't want to bother now (we just turned 70k miles and have 100k mile
> warranty. Is this an epidemic for Odysseys or is it just ours? I believe
> Honda is misusing the purpose of the check engine light, which in the old
> days, if this light came on, you began a search for a new car... pretty
> hard to ignore. I am a loyal Honda owner, but am quickly losing my
> loyalty. Anyone have any ammo I can use at the dealer?

What has a GOOGLE.COM search turned up about that Honda OBDII number?
There's lots of incorrect info about what those numbers mean. Maybe your
filler tube has a poor seal, or that code has little to do with the
problem. You're not overfilling, are you?

'Curly'