Is Honda brake fluid really superior to its "clone"?

Old October 25th 04, 05:14 PM
Daniel

Default Is Honda brake fluid really superior to its "clone"?

Greetings,
3 years have gone (so quickly) since I bought my brand new Honda
Accord 2001 and the "Maintenance Schdule for Severe Conditions"
official sheet from my Honda dealer says that its time to replace the
brake fluid. It says "Use Honda DOT 3".

My Honda dealer wants $80 for this service.
A local automobile service shop wants only $35 for this.

But when I asked whether he uses a genuine Honda DOT 3 fluid, he said:
"what I use is DOT 3 or 4 compatible".

Which means the container of his brake fluid doesn't carry the Honda
logo. To which he answered: "Honda doesn't make its fluids anyway".

My question is simple: Is the Honda DOT 3 really that special/superior
or is it marked up simply because it carries the Honda logo?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old October 25th 04, 06:09 PM
He Hate Retard and Moron

Of course it's superior.... it costs more don't it!

____________________________________
Do not write below this line. Reserved for me.

Old October 25th 04, 06:59 PM
motsco_ _

Daniel wrote:
> Greetings,
> 3 years have gone (so quickly) since I bought my brand new Honda
> Accord 2001 and the "Maintenance Schdule for Severe Conditions"
> official sheet from my Honda dealer says that its time to replace the
> brake fluid. It says "Use Honda DOT 3".
>
> My Honda dealer wants $80 for this service.
> A local automobile service shop wants only $35 for this.
>
> But when I asked whether he uses a genuine Honda DOT 3 fluid, he said:
> "what I use is DOT 3 or 4 compatible".
>
> Which means the container of his brake fluid doesn't carry the Honda
> logo. To which he answered: "Honda doesn't make its fluids anyway".
>
> My question is simple: Is the Honda DOT 3 really that special/superior
> or is it marked up simply because it carries the Honda logo?
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

============================

You have to use Honda Z1 ATF, or Honda steering pump fluid, or Dual Pump
Fluid for AWD, but brake fluid is just brake fluid.

Use whatever you want, as long as it's Dot 3 or Dot 4.

It's good that you're following the schedule . . You probably even read
the manual . . . Cool. The next owner of your car will be a lucky person.

'Curly'

Old October 26th 04, 03:20 AM
SoCalMike

Daniel wrote:

> Greetings,
> 3 years have gone (so quickly) since I bought my brand new Honda
> Accord 2001 and the "Maintenance Schdule for Severe Conditions"
> official sheet from my Honda dealer says that its time to replace the
> brake fluid. It says "Use Honda DOT 3".
>
> My Honda dealer wants $80 for this service.
> A local automobile service shop wants only $35 for this.

i can do it with a mityvac and under an hour for about $6. that local
shop price is damn good.

> But when I asked whether he uses a genuine Honda DOT 3 fluid, he said:
> "what I use is DOT 3 or 4 compatible".

as long as DOT5/silicone isnt used, its all good.

> Which means the container of his brake fluid doesn't carry the Honda
> logo. To which he answered: "Honda doesn't make its fluids anyway".

they dont

> My question is simple: Is the Honda DOT 3 really that special/superior
> or is it marked up simply because it carries the Honda logo?

brake fluid and oil are 2 fluids in which case it doesnt matter what you
use. anything else, like tranny oil, auto trans fluid, and coolant will
start a flame war

Old October 26th 04, 05:11 PM
Daniel

y_p_w wrote:

> Basically Honda DOT 3 is a "heavy duty" fluid with a high dry boiling
> temperature. However - the boiling temp is going to decrease
> substantially when it inevitably absorbs moisture. It's likely
> similar to something like Quaker State "Heeavy Duty DOT 3".
>
> I'd say regular DOT 3 or DOT 4 is the way to go. If you really want
> the good stuff, Valvoline SynPower is a DOT 4 fluid that goes a bit
> beyond the DOT 4 requirements, and has a really high dry boiling point.
> You might even try a DOT 5.1 (non-silicone) fluid, which is a lot
> pricier, but compatible with standard DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluids.
>
> <http://www.pitposse.com/mobrfld5.html>
> <http://www.motorspot.com/dot51.html>
> <http://www.phattire.com/hopdot51brak.html>
> <http://www.phillcomrally.com/Motul/BrakeFluids.htm>
>
> "DOT 5.1" results from Yahoo Shopping:
> <http://tinyurl.com/5mkgb>

Wow! Thank you very much for this detailed and learned answer. Thanks to
everyone else who replied to my posting as well. Based on your answers I
scheduled an appointment to do my 30K miles maintenance (break fluid,
transmission fluid, etc.) in the local shop. It will save me at least
$150...

Sometimes you just have to say No. :-)

Regards,
Daniel

Green Brake Fluid coffee01 Corvette 4 January 15th 05 08:06 PM
Why Are Honda CR-V's Catching Fire? Sparky Honda 4 October 19th 04 05:35 PM
1990 honda civic dx brake problem budz Honda 5 October 11th 04 11:20 AM
2002 CR-V brake fluid bleed Robert Honda 1 September 25th 04 04:26 AM