Where's the rub?

Old July 7th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Default Where's the rub?

I have a brake related rubbing sound coming from my rear driver side wheel.
It changes with speed and can be suppressed by pulling on the emergency
brake so it is definitely is coming from the rear. I had thought I my two
year / 15k mile rotor might have become warped so I installed new rear
rotors and pads, yet the sound persists. What else should I look for and
how do i test it. I am thinking perhaps the hub. I had the wheel bearings
replaced a few years ago as preventative maintenance at 110k (now have
130k). Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old July 7th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

ps. caliper pins (upper and lower) were cleaned, looked fine, and were lubed
with high temperature grease before reassembly... so i don't think that is
the problem.

t...

Old July 7th 09, 01:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Christopher Muto" > wrote:

> caliper pins (upper and lower) were cleaned, looked fine, and were lubed
> with high temperature grease before reassembly... so i don't think that is
> the problem.

Regardless, they'd be the second thing I'd check. Right after the
handbrake hardware.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old July 7th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Christopher Muto" > wrote:
>
>> caliper pins (upper and lower) were cleaned, looked fine, and were lubed
>> with high temperature grease before reassembly... so i don't think that
>> is
>> the problem.

> Regardless, they'd be the second thing I'd check. Right after the
> handbrake hardware.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Thanks for the suggestion. I had the e-brake completely relaxed (adjustment
screw out at the brake handle) when replacing the caliper on the other side
of the car, and even with the wheel off and two lug nuts installed i could
feel the caliper grabbing no matter how far the hex screw was retracted. I
suppose to really know if it is the e-brake is to remove the cable from the
caliper, which i could try the next time i am in there, but i went ahead and
ordered new upper and lower pins. Will report back once they are installed.
Thanks again.
ps. for what it is worth, the car in question is a '95

Old July 7th 09, 11:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Ephar[_2_]

My '92 has a manual adjustment, according to this article
http://www.miata.net/garage/brakepad.html you should also.
Easy fix if that's the problem
Ephar & Bambi
Old July 8th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

Thanks for that, but I am aware of it. This is what I was trying to
articulate by referring to the hex screw adjustment. Even with the wheel
off, the e-brake relaxed, and two lug nuts holding down the rotor, when I
manually turned the rotor i get the wub wub from the caliper grabbing part
of the rotor. It is a new rotor (and pads) and it doesn't appear that the
rotor is warped... so I await the new pins to see if that helps... and fully
check the e-brake cable while in there. If that doesn't help then I suppose
a new caliper bracket is in order next?!? Thank you.

Old July 8th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Dale Beckett[_4_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> I have a brake related rubbing sound coming from my rear driver side wheel.
> It changes with speed and can be suppressed by pulling on the emergency
> brake so it is definitely is coming from the rear. I had thought I my two
> year / 15k mile rotor might have become warped so I installed new rear
> rotors and pads, yet the sound persists. What else should I look for and
> how do i test it. I am thinking perhaps the hub. I had the wheel bearings
> replaced a few years ago as preventative maintenance at 110k (now have
> 130k). Any/all suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Try swapping the left-right rotors and see if the problem migrates to the
other side. If it does, your rotor is warped, new or not.
If it doesn't, then maybe you should investigate the bearing/hub?

--
Dale Beckett
Old July 24th 09, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

no matter what i did i could not get the rubbing to stop. i was able to see
about 1/16" run out in the rotor when i spun the wheel so it seemed like it
is probably a bent hub. brought it to a trusted shop who first checked the
rotor, then the hub and they did find some runout in the hub so i will have
that and the wheel baring replaced. thanks again for all of the
suggestions.

Old July 27th 09, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Christopher Muto wrote:
> no matter what i did i could not get the rubbing to stop. i was able to see
> about 1/16" run out in the rotor when i spun the wheel so it seemed like it
> is probably a bent hub. brought it to a trusted shop who first checked the
> rotor, then the hub and they did find some runout in the hub so i will have
> that and the wheel baring replaced. thanks again for all of the
> suggestions.

Chris,

did you ever fix this? I might have a hub in good shape, need to make
sure everything is compatible.
If it works for you, it's free, I just need to remove it from the car
and get it from Texas to New York.

Pat
Old August 2nd 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Christopher Muto

"pws" > wrote in message
> Christopher Muto wrote:
>> no matter what i did i could not get the rubbing to stop. i was able to
>> see about 1/16" run out in the rotor when i spun the wheel so it seemed
>> like it is probably a bent hub. brought it to a trusted shop who first
>> checked the rotor, then the hub and they did find some runout in the hub
>> so i will have that and the wheel baring replaced. thanks again for all
>> of the suggestions.

> Chris,
>
> did you ever fix this? I might have a hub in good shape, need to make sure
> everything is compatible.
> If it works for you, it's free, I just need to remove it from the car and
> get it from Texas to New York.
>
> Pat

Pat,
Thank you very much for the offer. It is most kind of you. However,
considering the labor and other costs involved (alignment) I think it would
be money well spent for me to just get a new one. Will write more to you
directly.
Thanks again!