cleaning EGR valve

Old April 16th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default cleaning EGR valve

how can an EGR valve be cleaned? it comes off easy on between intake and exhaust
manifold and the intake side port is full of soft oily sludge but I suspect the port
should not be sprayed with any chemical as that would move inside the intake

is there any way to determine if EGR is stuck open and if it is, how can it be closed?

Old April 16th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I let them soak in carb cleaner and then use a small wire brush on them.

They can get a buildup on the shaft that can make them stick open. If
you can blow through it it is stuck open.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 17th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Mike Romain wrote:
> They can get a buildup on the shaft that can make them stick open. If
> you can blow through it it is stuck open.

blow where? the exhaust side or the intake side? what about the vacuum line connection
on the top?

Old April 17th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

rick wrote:

> Mike Romain wrote:
> > They can get a buildup on the shaft that can make them stick open. If
> > you can blow through it it is stuck open.

> blow where? the exhaust side or the intake side?

Yup, which ever side you think is going to taste better....

what about the vacuum line connection
> on the top?

That is the line to turn on the EGR and shouldn't have any bearing on
whether the EGR is leaking or not.

Some of those hold a vacuum, some bleed off a vacuum. I don't know
which are which, but that still shouldn't affect it leaking. The vacuum
diaphragm can blow which means the EGR won't turn on.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's