Oil pressure sending unit

Old March 31st 06, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default Oil pressure sending unit

Just purchased a 98 C5 and found the oil pressure sending unit is bad.
Bought the new part. Can anyone tell me the location of the sender on the
engine? Thanks for any help!

Old April 2nd 06, 05:57 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

bojiboss wrote:

> Just purchased a 98 C5 and found the oil pressure sending unit is bad.
> Bought the new part. Can anyone tell me the location of the sender on the
> engine? Thanks for any help!

bojiboss:

Just had my oil pressure sensor replaced under warranty a month ago
(2001 Z06). They said they had to remove the intake plenum.

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Old April 2nd 06, 04:17 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Same for my C5 - had the sensor replaced last week $532. It failed 24
hours later, so the autoshop got to replace it all over again ($0 cost to
me).

Old April 5th 06, 12:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

$532!?!?! This is a $40 part at Napa. It screws in just like a spark plug
does. You will be removing the intake plenum but it's just a plastic piece
for the air to go through on it's way to the motor. There are no gears or
oil there or anything like that. You will disengage the intake components
on the front of the plenum and then start to unscrew the 8 or 10 bolts
holding it on. There is a braided fuel line goping into it which you will
not need to disconnect. Once loose just lift the manifold up and put it to
the side. The oil pressure sender is on top of the motor towards the back.
If I rememeber right you will need a deep well socket to get at it. There
is enough room there for a regular wrench-- you won't need any special
tools. Also, behind the plenum is a plastic air/vacuum line which you will
need to disengage in order to move the manifold out of the way. If you go
real slow, it can't take more than 45 minutes to get to this. (15 if you gop
fast and have done it before) You will have it re-assmebled in 20 minutes.
I use a 14 volt cordless drill to remove the long screws. Save yourself
some back pain from leaning over the motor for too long.

I would do the job for $200 and feel like I got over on somebody. Five
hundred is way too much.

-Stan
2000 C5 Coupe
1999 Blown C5 Vert

newsp.s7dzfyjt6x1zv6@daves-m520...

Old April 5th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:50:54 -0500, "bojiboss" >
wrote:

>Just purchased a 98 C5 and found the oil pressure sending unit is bad.
>Bought the new part. Can anyone tell me the location of the sender on the
>engine? Thanks for any help!

Looking through one of the C5 groups on the net states that the
sending unit is at the rear of the block where the distributor would
be if it had one, and you have to remove the manifold to replace the
sending unit. Good luck with the replacement.

...Ron
--
68'RS Camaro
88'Formula
Old April 5th 06, 09:35 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Good news is that you don't have to remove the engine to replace it. Any
wonder GM is in deep trouble..???

Old April 6th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

This is why I didn't have it done for 2 years. I knew I was going to bleed.
$124 Inlet manifold gasket set
$97 for the OEM sensor
$30 shop supplies

3 hours labor.

But I DID get a $36.57 discount. They are AAA-approved & gave me an
estimate, so they had to stay within 10% - hence the "discount".

What I was paying for a AAA-approved shop, comeback, etc. (i.e. when they
fked up the job, I took it back & got them to do it all over again the
next day, for $0).

I can design software integration solutions that are cool - but I am a
real liability with a wrength in my hand.

The shop is about 2 miles from my office & I get a shuttle van each way.

So on the one hand, I got taken on the C5 repair. But on the other, MY
labor rate is higher :-)