In the market for a 99-00-01 Caravan/New Yorker/Voyager

Old March 5th 05, 01:45 PM
Bert Hochwald

Default In the market for a 99-00-01 Caravan/New Yorker/Voyager

Dear Kind Fellows:

I am in the market for a 1999/2000/2001, maybe even 2002
Caravan, Voyager, or possibly even a New Yorker. Is there
any consensus about engine size/transmission/accessories/year that I
should make sure to have, or make sure to stay away from?

Thanks for your input,
Bert H

Old March 5th 05, 03:58 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Bert Hochwald wrote:

> I am in the market for a 1999/2000/2001, maybe even 2002 Caravan,
> Voyager, or possibly even a New Yorker. Is there any consensus about
> engine size/transmission/accessories/year that I should make sure to
> have, or make sure to stay away from?

Which engine to get depends on how you intend to use the van. Which
accessories to get is totally up to you. The Chrysler version of the
minivan is the Town & Country, not the New Yorker. If you wish to drive at
night, get a 2001 or later van; their headlamps are "less poor" than the
'96-'00 units.
Old March 5th 05, 04:52 PM
Bob Shuman

Bert,

We have a '99 Town & Country Limited with 3.8L engine. It has been a very
good vehicle, but is heavier than the earlier vans (we owned one of those
too wit ha 3.3L engine) so gets a bit worse gasoline mileage. Both the 3.3L
and the larger but nearly otherwise identical 3.8L engines are solid. I'd
say the 3.8L is better for the larger size van. We would definitely buy
another as it is still in excellent shape and now has ~65K miles and looks
pretty much like new in most regards.

That said, here is my list of things that could have been improved based on
my personal experience and re-affirmed by this newsgroup pretty much daily:

- Headlight output is not as good as the early 90's vans, but from what I
understand better than mid to late 90's versions.

- Front disk brakes are undersized so pads need replacement too often (for
us, every ~22K miles)

- Front brake rotors are poorly made from cheap steel so needed replacement
due to warping, and deep pitting from road salt at just 4 years. (Quality
replacement parts have faired better.)

- Front sway bar bushings have worn out and now need replacement.

- Vehicle output Speed Sensor wore out at ~36K miles and ~4 years old.

- Starter solenoid contacts wore out at ~50K miles so needed replacement.

- Ignition lock cylinder has been replaced twice now in my van (once under
warranty and now again 3 years later) Note: this problem appears to be
specific to our vehicle

As to what to check when buying a used vehicle, I'd say check for the
following before buying:

- Good maintenance records (tune ups, gas/air/oil/trans filters, PCV, etc.)
and consistent visual appearance.

- Regular interval for motor oil changes of 3-5K miles.

- Vehicle was not used for towing and had transmission fluid changes with
correct ATF+3 or ATF+4 only at no more than 36K mile intervals.

- Serpentine belt, idler, and tensioner should have been replaced if vehicle
has > 90K miles

I can't think of anything more off the top of my head, but am sure others
will offer their experience and collective wisdom.

Bob

Old March 5th 05, 07:25 PM
Matt Whiting

Bob Shuman wrote:

> Bert,
>
> We have a '99 Town & Country Limited with 3.8L engine. It has been a very
> good vehicle, but is heavier than the earlier vans (we owned one of those
> too wit ha 3.3L engine) so gets a bit worse gasoline mileage. Both the 3.3L
> and the larger but nearly otherwise identical 3.8L engines are solid. I'd
> say the 3.8L is better for the larger size van. We would definitely buy
> another as it is still in excellent shape and now has ~65K miles and looks
> pretty much like new in most regards.
>
> That said, here is my list of things that could have been improved based on
> my personal experience and re-affirmed by this newsgroup pretty much daily:
>
> - Headlight output is not as good as the early 90's vans, but from what I
> understand better than mid to late 90's versions.
>
> - Front disk brakes are undersized so pads need replacement too often (for
> us, every ~22K miles)
>
> - Front brake rotors are poorly made from cheap steel so needed replacement
> due to warping, and deep pitting from road salt at just 4 years. (Quality
> replacement parts have faired better.)
>
> - Front sway bar bushings have worn out and now need replacement.
>
> - Vehicle output Speed Sensor wore out at ~36K miles and ~4 years old.
>
> - Starter solenoid contacts wore out at ~50K miles so needed replacement.
>
> - Ignition lock cylinder has been replaced twice now in my van (once under
> warranty and now again 3 years later) Note: this problem appears to be
> specific to our vehicle

Do you have a heavy ring of keys hanging from the ignition key? That
can cause problems over time, although I have about 10 keys on my key
ring and haven't had problems with either my Chevy truck or my 96 van.

Matt
Old March 5th 05, 07:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Bob Shuman wrote:

> - Headlight output is not as good as the early 90's vans, but from what
> I understand better than mid to late 90's versions.

All '96-'00 Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth US/Canada/Mexico-market minivan
headlamps are garbage.

Old March 5th 05, 08:18 PM
Bob Shuman

Dan,

I will take your word on that since lighting is your subject matter
expertise. Sorry, but I was confusing my makes and models as I also own a
1996 Eagle Vision and 2001 Dodge Intrepid (both basically Intrepids) and
know the headlights are far better on the latter.

Bob

n.umich.edu...

Old March 5th 05, 08:28 PM
Bob Shuman

Yes, both my wife and I have heavy rings with lots of keys... Despite that,
no problems, yet, on any other vehicle I've owned and driven over the years,
including many which are/were Chryslers. I suspect some bean counter has
"cost reduced" this part.

In any event, the first time this occurred the vehicle was less than a year
old with about 6K miles when it needed to be towed to the dealer and
replaced (all under warranty). I've subsequently learned to tap on the key
with a small hammer to push it further into the lock and this has always
allowed it to turn freely. I've had the lock out three times now and
lubricating with a light weight graphite lock oil seems to make it work for
about another 6 months. I've also noticed that the problem is worse in
colder weather.

This 2nd replacement lock is already on order and should go in next week. I
hope this is the last time this will be needed.

Bob

Old March 5th 05, 09:53 PM
Bert Hochwald

I'm interested in the V6 engines and have no real engine preference
other than it not have alot of design or manufacture faults.
Mostly about-town driving with a few long trips here and there.
Generally I prefer the fewest accessories that make the
drive pleasant, don't need digital dashes, power antennas,
spoilers, his and hers mirror settings, and the like.
Just interested to hear if there is an accessory that people
really like that goes with those years.

Since I have a '91 van, I'm used to night-driving with the
equivalent of flashlights taped to the front of the car.
The plastic lens-units are all discolored.

Thanks for the feedback,
Bert

Old March 5th 05, 09:56 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Bob Shuman wrote:

> I was confusing my makes and models as I also own a 1996 Eagle Vision
> and 2001 Dodge Intrepid (both basically Intrepids) and know the
> headlights are far better on the latter.

Very true!
Old March 5th 05, 10:11 PM
Bert Hochwald

Dear Bob,

Thank you for your input. I have a '91 Caravan that is
getting long in the tooth. It has had solenoid, tensioner, and
brake pad troubles in its past. Also has recently had water
pump, wheel bearing, brake cylinder, fuel pump and other
troubles that are starting to irk me. But it has high miles
and I have not exactly been very kind to it either.

I have had to baby the 4-speed transmission along to
keep it alive. Have they improved at all since '91?

--Bert

"Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> Bert,
>
> We have a '99 Town & Country Limited with 3.8L engine. It has been a very
> good vehicle, but is heavier than the earlier vans (we owned one of those
> too wit ha 3.3L engine) so gets a bit worse gasoline mileage. Both the

3.3L
....snip...