Master Cylinder Questions

Old May 5th 05, 05:44 AM
Noice87

Default Master Cylinder Questions

I finished my Rear breaks and now working on the front. I took out the
Master Cylinder and was ready to replace it with a new one I got on
ebay. Buut the orginal master cylinder has 3 stopl light switches all
appear to be of different size. 2 have 2 places for connections and
the other 3 but only uses 2. The replacement I got only has 2 places
for stop light signals. My 2 stoplight signals are same part number
but different color and size hole. One will not screw all the way in.
My camera batteries are dead or I would have taken a pic. Here is what
I wrote the seller and what he replied back. Is he right or did I get
the wrong part? If he is right which wires get hooked up and is it ok
that one doesn't screw in all the way?

The Master Cylinder I got from you only has 2 places for Stop Light
Switches (One which doesn't screw in all the way). The one I pulled
off my car has 3 ( 2 with 2 connectors, 1 with 3 connectors only 2
connected). I can I send the Master Cylinder and the 2 Stop Light
Switches back for a replacement?

Thanks Steven

Someone had yours hooked up wrong. No VWs have 3 brake light switches.
What year do you have? Switches should be facing left and angled down.
Left and right front each have a port to thread in and the rear has a
port.

Old May 5th 05, 06:28 AM
Noice87

By the way my Car is a 68 Autostick.

Old May 5th 05, 11:35 AM
Al Adams

The original mster cylinder had 3 switches. This mc is no longer available.
The one with 2 switches replaces it, but you will need to modify the wiring
at the switches. I think Speedy Jim's website may have the rewiring info.

Al Adams

oups.com...

Old May 5th 05, 02:53 PM
Speedy Jim

Al Adams wrote:
> The original mster cylinder had 3 switches. This mc is no longer available.
> The one with 2 switches replaces it, but you will need to modify the wiring
> at the switches. I think Speedy Jim's website may have the rewiring info.
>
> Al Adams

Yes, indeed it do:-)

Go to Electrical section.

Al is 100% correct; the old M/C is NLA and this one
is the univ replacement.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old May 5th 05, 04:01 PM
Noice87

Thanks for the info. But what about the Stop Light Switch that will
not screw all the way in? Is that a problem?

Thanks Steven

Old May 6th 05, 04:32 AM
Jim Adney

On 4 May 2005 21:44:17 -0700 "Noice87" > wrote:

>I finished my Rear breaks and now working on the front. I took out the
>Master Cylinder and was ready to replace it with a new one I got on
>ebay. Buut the orginal master cylinder has 3 stopl light switches all
>appear to be of different size. 2 have 2 places for connections and
>the other 3 but only uses 2. The replacement I got only has 2 places
>for stop light signals.

VW used odd MCs in 68-9 which use 3 switches. The front and rear one
should be the same, but the middle one is different, with a plunger
sticking out of the threaded end. Starting in '70 they figured out a
much better way to do the job and discontinued the 68-9 style of MC,
even as replacements.

The later style, which you should switch to, uses 2 switches each with
3 terminals. The wiring should be changed to accomodate this change,
and this can be made easy if you can find the MC wiring harness, about
3' long, that they started using in '70. It drops right in, and
connects to the late switches.

>My 2 stoplight signals are same part number
>but different color and size hole. One will not screw all the way in.

The 3 terminal switch you have is a replacement. It's a tapered
thread, you just screw it in until it's tight enough to not leak.
Switches from different sources will have different amounts of thread
left exposed, but that is not a problem.

When you're done here, you should have 2 switches, each with 3
terminals. The switches are cheap and are the switches that VW used
from '70-on.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA

dual ci6rcuit master brake cylinder JS VW air cooled 3 December 20th 04 03:42 PM
Question about Brakes / Master Cylinder [email protected] Technology 8 December 17th 04 02:04 PM
'97 Voyager - Brakes MamaB Dodge 20 December 6th 04 01:26 AM
67 beetle master cylinder spacer Hal VW air cooled 8 November 13th 04 04:17 AM
Master Cylinder - which part number should I use? Chuck Townsley VW air cooled 4 October 21st 04 03:55 PM