first BMW purchase

Old February 25th 05, 01:54 AM
Troika

Hi Richard I have one thing to say to you as a X5 owner for two years now I
must say I truly enjoy this vehicle it is a very good vehicle .I drove over
3 thousand miles last summer with the family
to Florida the ride was great and my X5 did not burn any oil gas was average
my X5 is a 3.0
I am telling you I was so impress with this vehicle I would bye another one
in a minute.
my only recommendation is to change your oil regular and fallow-up on the
recall
it's a great vehicle.
<richard> wrote in message ...
> I'm trying to convince myself (then the wife) that spending the $$ on a

BMW
> is "worth it"....
> I'm looking at a new X5 Diesel which is 82,000 + On roads (This is rec
> retail - I'll start the haggle later if I decide to do it)
> I can buy a new Toyota Landcruiser (to replace existing one we have) but
> sort of "been there done that" as far as the 'cruiser goes.
> Our current one is petrol (gas for USA people). and the toyota diesel is
> agricultural compared to the BMW.
>
> I'm not a wealthy person (but our business can cover the lease / HP

without
> a prob). But the 'fear' of driving / scratching such a valuable
> vehicle does concern me a bit. esp sice I'm sure repairs will be equally
> expensive (ie if you can afford a BMW you must have a pocket full
> of $$ to pay for repairs etc) Having said that the BMW service costs for

the

Old February 25th 05, 03:54 AM
GRL

If someone is trying to sell a 3 year old anything for the same price as the
new anything, then something very strange is going on...or the seller is
just looking for a real sucker. This can happen when the new thing is being
closed out with a fat discount from the vendor. For example, BMW was giving
a $3800 incentive on new 2005 330i's to clear the showrooms for the E90's
soon to arrive. Plus dealers were selling them at invoice. This has
temporarily wreaked havoc on used car values for 330i's, but it will not
last. Only a relative few cars will be sold at this deep discount and then
they will be gone.

Now as to whether you should get a BMW SUV if you are used to a Toyota you
may not be happy with the reliability of the Beemer after the Toyota. Even
if the cost is covered by warranty, you will still suffer the inconvenience.
Personally, I just don't get BMW SUV's. They are very impractical as SUV's
(not much room or towing capability) and ride/accelerate/handle/use fuel in
an inferior manner to BMW station wagons. I mean, what's the point? Get the
Beemer wagon.

- GRL

Old February 25th 05, 04:00 AM
R. Rikoski

This is a psychology question not a car question. All of the issues that
you raise are real and will drive you nuts; if they are really important
to you.

If that is the case, then you should seriously consider a well built,
high value SUV like one of the Hyundai Tucson or Santa Fe or Kia Sedona.

They are well built, perform well and cost a third, fully equipped, of
what you are considering paying for the Bimmer.

Rick Rikoskii

Old February 25th 05, 04:32 AM

I certainly wouldn't pay close to new price for a 3yo anything either. It
was just one I saw advertised.
X5 isn't reliable? ummmm your right the toyota has had tyres & 1 battery &
oil changes in10 yrs.
Our 2002 Toyota RAV has had a set of car mats & oil changes....Toyotas are
good.

The X5 says it tow 2700kg (braked) which is less than the cruiser @ 4500kg
(braked), but still enough for us.

Room wise I sat in the back seat of the X5 and it seems to have as much leg
room as the 'cruiser but didn;'t feel as 'closed in' as the cruiser.
Possibly because the cruiser front seats are higher, which makes the back
seats feel closed in a bit.

The quited fuel use for the X5 is 8-9litres/100 whic is way better than the
'cruiser petrol (around 15-16 L/ 100)
Are the BMW station wagons better than 8-9 l/100km? (I'm still thinking
diesel)

Old February 25th 05, 04:43 AM

Hi Rick,
Your right it is a psychology question.and yep it is sort of driving me
nuts :-)
Mostly 'cause I like the BMW...but have to justify it in my own mind.
Are you suggesting the correct "mindset" is "If I care about cost,
forget the BMW" ?
I don't think I'd go down market as far as the brands you mention mostly
due to resale in 3yrs time.
As I said Toyota have a good (but not 'cheap') product in the 'cruiser.
A new diesel cruiser is $62000 or $72000 for the turbo diesel which is
10 or 20 0000 less than the BMW (82000)
I guess its that 10-20000 that I'm trying to justify spending.
So why do people spent the extra 10-20 or 3x in your example. DO BM's
smell 3 better, look 3x better or are the seats 3x better
I'm just trying to understand the motivations. I don't think I can
believe that BMW purchasers have to much money so they just give it away.
:-)

Old February 25th 05, 09:14 AM
Lars

Hi Richard,

<richard> wrote in message ...

> The quited fuel use for the X5 is 8-9litres/100 whic is way better than
> the 'cruiser petrol (around 15-16 L/ 100)
> Are the BMW station wagons better than 8-9 l/100km? (I'm still thinking
> diesel)

I drive an e39 2002 530dA Touring and get around 7.5 L/100km in average. As
we (my wife and I) drive around 210 km per day the better fuel economy was
one of the reasons that we choose the touring rather than the X5. Of the 210
km's I would say that 120 is highway @ 130 km/h, 60 is major roads @ 100
km/h and the rest is city with a lot of stop/go and somewhat heavy traffic.

Other reason was the price tag, there are a LOT second-hand e39's around and
we got our fully-loaded (leather seats with memory, 16:9 navi, steptronic,
etc) as a very fair price.

It has been said to be the most fault free car in it's category. However, we
have had a few problems with it lately: the front right brake got stuck ->
new discs front, brake pads and entirely new right side brake. Just the week
after the transmission from the gearbox to the rear wheels break down (not
entirely, but needs to be replaced asap). No need to say that I think we
have spent just a LITTLE too much money on that car this month ;-)
Let us hope it does not continue that way, because it is very nice to drive,
especially cruising on the highway - 120 km/h is at 2000 revs/min - very
nice and silent... Still, if you nail the throttle, it certainly has the
ability to move. Only real bad thing is the sound of the engine when it's
idle... But hey, that is to live with.

Having said that, I do think that the X5 is a really very nice ride too! The
towing capacity of the e39 530dA is around 2000 kg.

Good luck in the search for your new car!

** Lars

Old February 25th 05, 11:40 AM
Oliver Hui

Richard,

I've driven Hondas, Subarus, Mazdas, Austins (30 years ago), Toyotas and now
I have a BMW e60. I can only commet based on my own experience, as I can't
say the same for others.

I find that in terms of 'trouble-free' ownership, the Japanese cars that
I've owned always gave me a 'start and go' experience. I would expect to
get into my car, turn the key, and go. Also, I can expect my car to not to
have noises (creaks etc.). For the 30 years I've been driving and owning a
car, I wouldn't expect otherwise (I've been spoiled by the cars I
owned...before my BMW came).

The 'bad' thing about owning a Japanese car is that once the car has passed
4, 5 years (from new), parts start to need replacement. (whether this
applies to a BMW I don't know. I've only had mine for 1 year plus).

Now, the BMW....the car drives great. Much better feel than the Japanese
models I've owned (but then none are in the same market segment as the BMW I
have at present). In terms of control, performance curve, comfort, engine
response, etc. the BMW EXCELS. The item that irritates me are those that
are 'minor' things like cabin noise (little creaks, eeks, clicks etc. that
seems to come and go), and quality - there are certain things that seem to
be not well-built...e.g. one mudflap on the car started to come off
yesterday (never happened to my other cars); I found out that the glue that
was adhering the mud flap to the body has come off. Oh, yes, it is MUCH
more expense to bring the BMW to the shop...in terms of labour (here in Hong
Kong) and parts, as well as annual maintenance plans (which the local BMW
dealer is starting to sell me).

Will I buy another BMW? Don't think so. My next car will be from Japan.
Would I have bought my present e60 had I known (car's been in the shop six
times already)? Don't think so neither.

If you're looking at a Lexus, then go for the Lexus. My friends love their
Lexus and I have never heard any complaints about them.

But then if you want the ego trip and the vanity, then it's another story.
Go for the beemer.

Oliver

Old February 25th 05, 08:27 PM
R. Rikoski

Resale of the Korean SUV's has come up a lot since the quality of the
latest models has been recognized by JD Powers and others.

However, we have a saying around our house that goes like, "At our age,
life is not a dress rehearsal". Which means, if you want it and can
figure how to pay for it, then get it.

Rick Rikoski
330Xi (In snowy Cambridge)

In article >, <richard> wrote:

> [...]
> >> vehicle does concern me a bit. esp sice I'm sure repairs will be equally
> >> expensive (ie if you can afford a BMW you must have a pocket full
> >> of $$ to pay for repairs etc) Having said that the BMW service costs for
> >> the
> >> diesel are a lot less than the toyota services.
> >>
> >> Depreciation on the cruiser is not to bad, but when I look at 3yo BMW
> >> prices.....very minimul depreciation.
> >> eg one I saw had some extras + some average milage, and was selling at
> >> 82,000 ie same as a new one (without O/R costs)
> >> so assuming they sell @ that price their loss will only be cost of extras
> >> they fitted + on road costs not bad for 3 yrs motoring.
> >>
> >> But how do you convince yourself that your first (new) BMW was worth the
> >> "extra"? eg I can buy 2 "normal" cars for the price of a BMW!.
> >>
> >> Look forward to reading some thoughts. Thx in advance

Wanting to purchase a '99 540i auto, but have questions... [email protected] BMW 5 January 21st 05 03:15 AM
Where to purchase floor mats ak47sarah Ford Explorer 0 January 7th 05 08:58 AM
Purchase [email protected] Corvette 4 October 4th 04 04:36 PM
Oregonian, purchase car from Calif., sales tax? Paul Stivers General 6 May 4th 04 03:43 AM