A Mercury Mustang?

Old February 6th 05, 07:44 AM
A Guy Named Steve

Well, we know it won't have the Hurricane motor, if it were to happen!

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

oups.com...

Old February 6th 05, 05:39 PM

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005 22:15:31 -0800, "MadMango" >
wrote:

>If this were to happen I wonder if they would use the Capri name or the
>Cougar name? I'd love to see a 2006 version of the Cougar Eliminator.

Excuse while I wipe the drool from my keyboard....

Yeah, an updated Cougar Eliminator, that'd be the ticket for sure!

Okie Tom - TS #62

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd.
2001 Ranger XLT
www.bluestanggt.corral.net
Old February 6th 05, 05:47 PM

MadMango wrote:

> > "Ford Motor Co. will consider a new Mustang-based car for
> > Mercury. Barb Samardzich, executive director of Ford Motor Co.'s
> > small-car platforms, says she will prepare a business case for
> > the project. She says a Mercury convertible and coupe drived
> > from the Mustang are high on her list of 'cycle plan wants'"

> > Is it possible the Cougar name could once again be used, and
> > attached to a worthy successor?

> If this were to happen I wonder if they would use the Capri name
> or the Cougar name?

Personally, I like the Cougar name better, but it's the end product
that would be most important to me.

> I'd love to see a 2006 version of the Cougar Eliminator.

Wouldn't that be cool! I don't see that happening though. A
performance Mercury Mustang would compete with the Ford Mustang GT.

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old February 6th 05, 05:52 PM

A Guy Named Steve wrote:
> Well, we know it won't have the Hurricane motor, if it were to
> happen!

I know... it's sad. Oh well, at least the 4.6 is now a runner. 112 in
the quarter with a little weight reduction and aftermarket chip isn't
too shabby.

Patrick
'93 Cobra
'83 LTD

Old February 6th 05, 06:11 PM
CobraJet

In article . net>, A
Guy Named Steve > wrote:

> Well, we know it won't have the Hurricane motor, if it were to happen!

The typical Mercury buyer is looking for an upscale Ford. Merely
changing the fascia of the Mustang ain't gonna work. The Fox Capri died
because of this. The RWD Cougar died because of this. The Marauder died
because it was underpowered. Also, Mercury has to be given a better ad
budget. I can only remember one ad during the entire run of the Mark
VIII, which is an awesome car that could easily have sold far more
quantity than it did.

It seems to me Ford is a one-legged duck in a pool of piranha.

--
CobraJet
Thunder Snake #1
Old February 6th 05, 07:05 PM
A Guy Named Steve

"CobraJet" > wrote in message
> In article . net>, A
> Guy Named Steve > wrote:
>
> > Well, we know it won't have the Hurricane motor, if it were to happen!

> The typical Mercury buyer is looking for an upscale Ford. Merely
> changing the fascia of the Mustang ain't gonna work. The Fox Capri died
> because of this. The RWD Cougar died because of this. The Marauder died
> because it was underpowered. Also, Mercury has to be given a better ad
> budget. I can only remember one ad during the entire run of the Mark
> VIII, which is an awesome car that could easily have sold far more
> quantity than it did.
>
> It seems to me Ford is a one-legged duck in a pool of piranha.

It sounds to me that they're the "Buick of Ford Motor Co."

I really liked the last Riviera, but not enough power (or too much weight
AND not enough power). It reminds me of the Mark VIII.

Steve
72 Skylark Custom455

Old February 6th 05, 07:08 PM
Generic

"CobraJet" > wrote in message
> In article . net>, A
> Guy Named Steve > wrote:
>
> > Well, we know it won't have the Hurricane motor, if it were to happen!

> The typical Mercury buyer is looking for an upscale Ford. Merely
> changing the fascia of the Mustang ain't gonna work. The Fox Capri died
> because of this. The RWD Cougar died because of this.

In the 80s the selection of relevant imports sent traditional American Badge
Engineering into history. If you wanted something "nicer" than a Ford or GM
you'd get a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. If you wanted something more reliable
you'd buy Japanese. American companies made a bundle by rebadging before
that.

-John

Old February 6th 05, 07:54 PM
Backyard Mechanic

Generic opined i

>> The typical Mercury buyer is looking for an upscale Ford. Merely
>> changing the fascia of the Mustang ain't gonna work. The Fox Capri died
>> because of this. The RWD Cougar died because of this.

> In the 80s the selection of relevant imports sent traditional American
> Badge Engineering into history. If you wanted something "nicer" than a
> Ford or GM you'd get a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. If you wanted something
> more reliable you'd buy Japanese. American companies made a bundle by
> rebadging before that.
>
> -John

Anyone who's bought and driven a Grand Marquis or even an MN12 Cougar knows
better.

There's a look/feel difference between the Ford / Merc marque, though not as
pronounced as the Chev / Buick difference.

Good luck to those who think they are getting a "value for money" deal on a
5 year old BMW/ Audi, BTW... makes me larf!
- - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - -
I'm looking for a return of the 4-seater T-Bird road car based on the LS
platform, the Cougar would do better with a version of that - just like the
MN12.

Which would supply an interesting amount of bolt-on mods for the Mustang down
the road
Old February 6th 05, 08:07 PM
Generic

"Backyard Mechanic" > wrote in message
> >> The typical Mercury buyer is looking for an upscale Ford. Merely
> >> changing the fascia of the Mustang ain't gonna work. The Fox Capri died
> >> because of this. The RWD Cougar died because of this.

> > In the 80s the selection of relevant imports sent traditional American
> > Badge Engineering into history. If you wanted something "nicer" than a
> > Ford or GM you'd get a BMW, Audi or Mercedes. If you wanted something
> > more reliable you'd buy Japanese. American companies made a bundle by
> > rebadging before that.
> >
> > -John

> Anyone who's bought and driven a Grand Marquis or even an MN12 Cougar

knows
> better.
>
> There's a look/feel difference between the Ford / Merc marque, though not

as
> pronounced as the Chev / Buick difference.

The Fox Capri? See original post.

> Good luck to those who think they are getting a "value for money" deal on

> 5 year old BMW/ Audi, BTW... makes me larf!
> - - -- - - - - - -- - - - - - - -

A lot of it has to do with perception and what your friends drive. The
upscale commuters of Silicon Valley drive twice as many Euro and Japanese
cars as US brands. Plenty of expensive cars have problems but they are
fashionable because they are exclusive. Not many euro cars after the
original Beetle have been good values!

-John

Old February 6th 05, 08:08 PM
Jim Warman

Whoa, CJ... ain't nothin' like the sound of a big inch cam in block with a
llllooooonnnnngggg cam idling (or at least trying to). Yeah, this new stuff
is neat but I'm a traditionalist.

Though I haven't mentioned it for a while, we are hoping to get Project
Runner back on track this year. We delivered an ultimatum to our fabricator
last fall. I was in the city a couple of weeks back but at this time of year
he subcontracts to professional racers and lives in a much warmer place than
I do during that time.

I'm all for seeing new stuff come down the line... especially if it doesn't
look like a half used bar of soap or the new Dodge Charger. I will agree
that Patrick seems to grab onto just about anything he reads....