SL2 Cabin filling up with Carbon Monoxide, after fender bender?!?!?!??!

Old May 10th 04, 02:45 AM
eb7g

Default SL2 Cabin filling up with Carbon Monoxide, after fender bender?!?!?!??!

Thanks for the replies!!

I figured out what it was. It was actually engine oil that I was smelling.

You know the top of the Saturn motors, there is a release value of some
sort, right in front of the carburator? Well, I guess the accident
impact pushed it completely out and I was smelling hot oil!!! I put it
back in, voila, no more smell.

And JUST IN TIME TOO, I checked my engine oil, as a precaution. Yep,
those 3-4 days of the motor not being a closed system had evaporated (or
I inhaled it all) almost all the oil and my car was overheating like
mad. I dumped some more in and accidentally put too much (I am an idiot
I suppose) and I get some other problems now, but nothing major.

Old May 12th 04, 06:09 AM
Napalm Heart

I realize that some may consider this picking a nit, but there is no
carburetor on your car. It is called a throttle body.

Ken

"eb7g" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the replies!!
>
> I figured out what it was. It was actually engine oil that I was

smelling.

> You know the top of the Saturn motors, there is a release value of

some
> sort, right in front of the carburator? Well, I guess the accident
> impact pushed it completely out and I was smelling hot oil!!! I put

it
> back in, voila, no more smell.
>
> And JUST IN TIME TOO, I checked my engine oil, as a precaution. Yep,
> those 3-4 days of the motor not being a closed system had evaporated

(or
> I inhaled it all) almost all the oil and my car was overheating like
> mad. I dumped some more in and accidentally put too much (I am an

idiot
> I suppose) and I get some other problems now, but nothing major.
>

> richard hornsby wrote:
>

> > First off, I can tell you that carbon monoxide is completely

odorless,
> > colorless, and tasteless. Exhaust gases contain CO, and you're

likely
> > smelling the non-CO components. Arguably, it is the CO that is

the most
> > dangerous component, however.
> >
> > Did the shop who fixed your car check to see if there was any

damage to
> > the engine or the exhaust system? Or did your insurance co only

allow
> > you to go to a "body shop"?
> >
> > It is _possible_ that your exhaust manifold is cracked and when

you turn
> > on the fan you're sucking those gases trapped under the hood into

the
> > cabin. I don't remember where the cabin air intake is located.

However,
> > IIRC a cracked exhaust manifold would exhibit many other issues
> > including a lot of noise. You're right tho - exhaust gases in the

cabin
> > can be an extremely dangerous situation. The part you can't see

and
> > smell is hurting you.
> >
> > Check for damage under the hood - intake manifold, fuel lines

(?!),