Air Bag Light - '93

Old June 10th 05, 02:14 AM
Joe

Default Air Bag Light - '93

OK, here's a good one. Just got the LX back from the body shop (more
front end body work) and now the air bag light is blinking. However,
there's a catch. It only blinks when I'm not giving it gas. If it's
idling, cruising, or decelerating, it blinks. If I accelerate, it
stops.

My first guess is something vacuum-related. Any ideas? TIA.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old June 10th 05, 03:19 AM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 01:14:25 GMT, Joe > wrote:

>OK, here's a good one. Just got the LX back from the body shop (more
>front end body work) and now the air bag light is blinking. However,
>there's a catch. It only blinks when I'm not giving it gas. If it's
>idling, cruising, or decelerating, it blinks. If I accelerate, it
>stops.
>
>My first guess is something vacuum-related. Any ideas? TIA.
>
>Joe
>Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

my god ya are a foctard
scan for codes
ya prolly lost a sensor

a vacume computer
LMFAO
foctard

Old June 11th 05, 04:43 AM
Mike R

In article >, Joe
> wrote:

> OK, here's a good one. Just got the LX back from the body shop (more
> front end body work) and now the air bag light is blinking. However,
> there's a catch. It only blinks when I'm not giving it gas. If it's
> idling, cruising, or decelerating, it blinks. If I accelerate, it
> stops.
>
> My first guess is something vacuum-related. Any ideas? TIA.
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

I don't see how the Supplemental Air Bag system could be vacuum related.
It's all pretty much electrics and mechanics. With front end body work
recently done, I'd check around the right/center/left crash sensors and
associated wiring and harness connectors. The RH and LH sensors are
located at their respective sides of the upper radiator support, behind
the headlamps and the center sensor at the middle upper radiator
support...

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old June 11th 05, 11:41 PM
Mike R

In article >, Joe
> wrote:

> (Mike R) wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Joe
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> OK, here's a good one. Just got the LX back from the body shop
> >> (more front end body work) and now the air bag light is blinking.
> >> However, there's a catch. It only blinks when I'm not giving it
> >> gas. If it's idling, cruising, or decelerating, it blinks. If I
> >> accelerate, it stops.
> >>
> >> My first guess is something vacuum-related. Any ideas? TIA.
> >>
> >> Joe
> >> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> >> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> > I don't see how the Supplemental Air Bag system could be vacuum
> > related. It's all pretty much electrics and mechanics.

> I thought as much, but I wonder why it stops blinking when I give it
> gas..
>
> > With front
> > end body work recently done, I'd check around the right/center/left
> > crash sensors and associated wiring and harness connectors. The RH
> > and LH sensors are located at their respective sides of the upper
> > radiator support, behind the headlamps and the center sensor at the
> > middle upper radiator support...
> >
> > --
> > Mike
> > 93 Cobra

> I will certainly do that. Thanks for the tip, Mike.
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Joe, are you having battery charging issues of late??? The diagnostic
monitor may be flashing a code 12 for low battery. This might also explain
reving of the engine causing the lamp to extinguish. Make sense??? Maybe a
bad regulator or alternator. Also, if you haven't done so yet, check fuse
#7 (15amp).

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old June 12th 05, 01:17 AM
Joe

(Mike R) wrote in
:

> In article >, Joe
> > wrote:

(Mike R) wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > In article >, Joe

>> > I don't see how the Supplemental Air Bag system could be vacuum
>> > related. It's all pretty much electrics and mechanics.

>> I thought as much, but I wonder why it stops blinking when I give
>> it gas..
>>
>> > With front
>> > end body work recently done, I'd check around the
>> > right/center/left crash sensors and associated wiring and harness
>> > connectors. The RH and LH sensors are located at their respective
>> > sides of the upper radiator support, behind the headlamps and the
>> > center sensor at the middle upper radiator support...
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mike
>> > 93 Cobra

>> I will certainly do that. Thanks for the tip, Mike.
>>
>> Joe
>> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> Joe, are you having battery charging issues of late??? The
> diagnostic monitor may be flashing a code 12 for low battery. This
> might also explain reving of the engine causing the lamp to
> extinguish. Make sense??? Maybe a bad regulator or alternator. Also,
> if you haven't done so yet, check fuse #7 (15amp).
>
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Yes, in fact, I am having battery charging issues. The underdrives on
the car are killing the battery - at idle it's constantly discharging.
Forget about it if the a/c or lights are on.

The alternator (stock replacement) is only about 18 months old give or
take, and the battery is less than a year. Since I bought the car
(I'm the original owner) I've never ever seen the air bag light go on
except for start up and key-on-engine-off. The bag has never popped,
either.

So does the air-bag light flash codes? I've never heard of that. But
the discharging is certainly an issue. Again, thanks for the tip.
All good stuff to check out.

Old June 12th 05, 02:41 AM
Mike R

In article >, Joe
> wrote:

> (Mike R) wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Joe
> > > wrote:

(Mike R) wrote in
> >> :

> >> I thought as much, but I wonder why it stops blinking when I give
> >> it gas..

> >> I will certainly do that. Thanks for the tip, Mike.
> >>
> >> Joe
> >> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> >> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> > Joe, are you having battery charging issues of late??? The
> > diagnostic monitor may be flashing a code 12 for low battery. This
> > might also explain reving of the engine causing the lamp to
> > extinguish. Make sense??? Maybe a bad regulator or alternator. Also,
> > if you haven't done so yet, check fuse #7 (15amp).
> >
> > --
> > Mike
> > 93 Cobra

> Yes, in fact, I am having battery charging issues. The underdrives on
> the car are killing the battery - at idle it's constantly discharging.
> Forget about it if the a/c or lights are on.
>
> The alternator (stock replacement) is only about 18 months old give or
> take, and the battery is less than a year. Since I bought the car
> (I'm the original owner) I've never ever seen the air bag light go on
> except for start up and key-on-engine-off. The bag has never popped,
> either.
>
> So does the air-bag light flash codes? I've never heard of that.

Yeah, the Diagnostic Monitor will display a DTC representing a two digit
number when detecting a fault. No memory mind you after the key is turned
off. You got to do it on the fly. So, for instance DTC 12 (low battery
voltage) would be:

Flash (one second pause) - flash flash (three second pause) and then it repeats.

This particular code caught my attention after thinking about your
original post. More so now than the front crash sensors with recent body
work, but don't count those out. Right now, it's important to pull the
code to narrow this down.
The D/M monitors (among other things) battery voltage via fuse # 7. Don't
forget to check this fuse. If it's blown, we need to figure why. If you
have a voltmeter, measure the battery directly while the engine idles vs
reving and note any voltage swing. Obviously, you've got a charging
problem here. BTW, anything lower than 9 volts will trigger the D/M to
flash a DTC 12.

>But the discharging is certainly an issue.

It certainly is. Fix that first and maybe the air bag issue will resolve itself.

> Again, thanks for the tip. All good stuff to check out.

Yep, good luck with it...

> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

Mike
93 Cobra
Old June 12th 05, 01:04 PM
Joe

[posted and mailed]

(Mike R) wrote in
:

> In article >, Joe
> > wrote:

(Mike R) wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > In article >, Joe

(Mike R) wrote in

>> > Joe, are you having battery charging issues of late??? The
>> > diagnostic monitor may be flashing a code 12 for low battery.
>> > This might also explain reving of the engine causing the lamp to
>> > extinguish. Make sense??? Maybe a bad regulator or alternator.
>> > Also, if you haven't done so yet, check fuse #7 (15amp).
>> >
>> > --
>> > Mike
>> > 93 Cobra

>> Yes, in fact, I am having battery charging issues. The underdrives
>> on the car are killing the battery - at idle it's constantly
>> discharging. Forget about it if the a/c or lights are on.
>>
>> The alternator (stock replacement) is only about 18 months old give
>> or take, and the battery is less than a year. Since I bought the
>> car (I'm the original owner) I've never ever seen the air bag light
>> go on except for start up and key-on-engine-off. The bag has never
>> popped, either.
>>
>> So does the air-bag light flash codes? I've never heard of that.

> Yeah, the Diagnostic Monitor will display a DTC representing a two
> digit number when detecting a fault. No memory mind you after the
> key is turned off. You got to do it on the fly. So, for instance DTC
> 12 (low battery voltage) would be:
>
> Flash (one second pause) - flash flash (three second pause) and then
> it repeats.
>
> This particular code caught my attention after thinking about your
> original post. More so now than the front crash sensors with recent
> body work, but don't count those out. Right now, it's important to
> pull the code to narrow this down.
> The D/M monitors (among other things) battery voltage via fuse # 7.
> Don't forget to check this fuse. If it's blown, we need to figure
> why. If you have a voltmeter, measure the battery directly while the
> engine idles vs reving and note any voltage swing. Obviously, you've
> got a charging problem here. BTW, anything lower than 9 volts will
> trigger the D/M to flash a DTC 12.
>
>>But the discharging is certainly an issue.

> It certainly is. Fix that first and maybe the air bag issue will
> resolve itself.
>
>> Again, thanks for the tip. All good stuff to check out.

> Yep, good luck with it...
>
>> Joe
>> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Mike, you know it never occurred to me that the air bag light was
actually displaying a code by blinking. Now I'll have to go check it
out and see what it's telling me. And I will check the fuses as well.
Again, thanks very much.

BTW, is there a web site or something that contains all the codes and
what they mean?

Old June 12th 05, 02:55 PM
Mike R

In article >, Joe
> wrote:

> [posted and mailed]
>
> (Mike R) wrote in
> :
>
> > In article >, Joe
> > > wrote:

(Mike R) wrote in
> >> :

(Mike R) wrote in

> >> Yes, in fact, I am having battery charging issues. The underdrives
> >> on the car are killing the battery - at idle it's constantly
> >> discharging. Forget about it if the a/c or lights are on.
> >>
> >> The alternator (stock replacement) is only about 18 months old give
> >> or take, and the battery is less than a year. Since I bought the
> >> car (I'm the original owner) I've never ever seen the air bag light
> >> go on except for start up and key-on-engine-off. The bag has never
> >> popped, either.
> >>
> >> So does the air-bag light flash codes? I've never heard of that.

> > Yeah, the Diagnostic Monitor will display a DTC representing a two
> > digit number when detecting a fault. No memory mind you after the
> > key is turned off. You got to do it on the fly. So, for instance DTC
> > 12 (low battery voltage) would be:
> >
> > Flash (one second pause) - flash flash (three second pause) and then
> > it repeats.
> >
> > This particular code caught my attention after thinking about your
> > original post. More so now than the front crash sensors with recent
> > body work, but don't count those out. Right now, it's important to
> > pull the code to narrow this down.
> > The D/M monitors (among other things) battery voltage via fuse # 7.
> > Don't forget to check this fuse. If it's blown, we need to figure
> > why. If you have a voltmeter, measure the battery directly while the
> > engine idles vs reving and note any voltage swing. Obviously, you've
> > got a charging problem here. BTW, anything lower than 9 volts will
> > trigger the D/M to flash a DTC 12.
> >
> >>But the discharging is certainly an issue.

> > It certainly is. Fix that first and maybe the air bag issue will
> > resolve itself.
> >
> >> Again, thanks for the tip. All good stuff to check out.

> > Yep, good luck with it...
> >
> >> Joe
> >> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> >> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> > Mike
> > 93 Cobra

> Mike, you know it never occurred to me that the air bag light was
> actually displaying a code by blinking. Now I'll have to go check it
> out and see what it's telling me. And I will check the fuses as well.
> Again, thanks very much.
>
> BTW, is there a web site or something that contains all the codes and
> what they mean?
>
> Joe
> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

I just found this:

http://tinyurl.com/9doou

If you're interested in a schematic:

http://tinyurl.com/ex3mt

FYI. The D/M monitors battery voltage at pin 13 via fuse #7

Time for some coffee...HTH

--
Mike
93 Cobra
Old June 13th 05, 03:25 AM
Joe

(Mike R) wrote in
:

> In article >, Joe
> > wrote:
>
>> [posted and mailed]

(Mike R) wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > In article >, Joe

(Mike R) wrote in
> [...]
(Mike R) wrote in

>> > Yeah, the Diagnostic Monitor will display a DTC representing a
>> > two digit number when detecting a fault. No memory mind you after
>> > the key is turned off. You got to do it on the fly. So, for
>> > instance DTC 12 (low battery voltage) would be:
>> >
>> > Flash (one second pause) - flash flash (three second pause) and
>> > then it repeats.
>> >
>> > This particular code caught my attention after thinking about
>> > your original post. More so now than the front crash sensors with
>> > recent body work, but don't count those out. Right now, it's
>> > important to pull the code to narrow this down.
>> > The D/M monitors (among other things) battery voltage via fuse #
>> > 7. Don't forget to check this fuse. If it's blown, we need to
>> > figure why. If you have a voltmeter, measure the battery directly
>> > while the engine idles vs reving and note any voltage swing.
>> > Obviously, you've got a charging problem here. BTW, anything
>> > lower than 9 volts will trigger the D/M to flash a DTC 12.

>> > It certainly is. Fix that first and maybe the air bag issue will
>> > resolve itself.

>> > Yep, good luck with it...

>> > Mike
>> > 93 Cobra

>> Mike, you know it never occurred to me that the air bag light was
>> actually displaying a code by blinking. Now I'll have to go check
>> it out and see what it's telling me. And I will check the fuses as
>> well. Again, thanks very much.
>>
>> BTW, is there a web site or something that contains all the codes
>> and what they mean?
>>
>> Joe
>> Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
>> Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC

> I just found this:

http://tinyurl.com/9doou

> If you're interested in a schematic:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/ex3mt
>
> FYI. The D/M monitors battery voltage at pin 13 via fuse #7
>
> Time for some coffee...HTH
>
> --
> Mike
> 93 Cobra

Great stuff, Mike - thanks! It's all in the archives now...

Poorly setup stop light Paul Driving 7 May 19th 05 10:25 PM
1998 Audi A4 Oil Indictor Light ellenb999 Audi 2 April 21st 05 01:03 PM
2001 Civic EX check engine light [email protected] Honda 0 March 6th 05 08:35 AM
"Check AdvanceTrac" light comes on Larry Brown Ford Explorer 6 December 15th 04 05:43 PM
Check Engine Light and Fuel Mixture Mark Barrett Ford Explorer 2 November 11th 04 08:11 PM