gas gauge..

Old August 17th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cal[_1_]

Default gas gauge..

'97 jgc, every now and then my gas gauge will suddenly drop to empty. It
seems like this always happens on a hot day, while sitting at a stop light.
Never seems to do it while riding down the road... The gauge will SLOWLY
come back up to its correct reading. Most often, turning the jeep off and
back on will correct it. Some sort of voltage drop at idle, maybe due to a
bad ground? Voltage gauge looks ok. Also, sometimes, when hot, the starter
will not turn at all, unless I release the key and try again. Could both of
these problems be a bad ground? Unrelated? Any ideas?

cal

Old August 19th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Cal wrote:
> '97 jgc, every now and then my gas gauge will suddenly drop to empty.
> It seems like this always happens on a hot day, while sitting at a
> stop light. Never seems to do it while riding down the road... The
> gauge will SLOWLY come back up to its correct reading. Most often,
> turning the jeep off and back on will correct it. Some sort of
> voltage drop at idle, maybe due to a bad ground? Voltage gauge looks
> ok. Also, sometimes, when hot, the starter will not turn at all,
> unless I release the key and try again. Could both of these problems
> be a bad ground? Unrelated? Any ideas?

Could be a bad ground or a bad connector in the harness. Usually if
there is a bad ground it doesn't correct itself with a computer restart.
Might check to see if there are any TSB's on your problem. Local dealer
can look those up.

--
DougW

Old August 21st 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Cal[_1_]

thanks!
cal