Engine Temp? 110?

Old May 26th 05, 01:58 PM
HotRod

Default Engine Temp? 110?

My 1994 Golf CL Diesel is running consistently at 110 C and I'm wondering if
this is normal? I've replaced all of the thermal switches (three) that are
in the RAD and water Jacket to make sure the RAD Fans are coming on (They
are) I'm just wondering if 110 C is way to high? What should it run at? Do I
need to yank off the water pump and check that?

Old May 26th 05, 03:37 PM
N8N

Is that water temp or oil temp? 110C is a good oil temp, but a bit too
warm for water.

nate

Old May 26th 05, 03:41 PM
SFC

Normal is around 90 deg. or the middle of the scale...

SFC

"N8N" > schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old May 26th 05, 05:30 PM
Joseph Meehan

HotRod wrote:
> My 1994 Golf CL Diesel is running consistently at 110 C and I'm
> wondering if this is normal? I've replaced all of the thermal
> switches (three) that are in the RAD and water Jacket to make sure
> the RAD Fans are coming on (They are) I'm just wondering if 110 C is
> way to high? What should it run at? Do I need to yank off the water
> pump and check that?

If that is water temp it is too high. You may have a defective
thermostat, a head gasket problem or a radiator that is starting to clog up.
My guesses are in what I believe to the the most likely first.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old May 26th 05, 09:29 PM
HotRod

it's a 94 Golf CL so I don't believe that it has an oil temp gauge just a
water gauge.

I've been checking the oil and rad but haven't noticed anything in either
that would indicate a head gasket problem. And I've just replaced all of the
RAD sensors so they are accurate. IDEAS?

Old May 27th 05, 02:58 AM
Randolph

HotRod wrote:

> it's a 94 Golf CL so I don't believe that it has an oil temp gauge just a
> water gauge.
>
> I've been checking the oil and rad but haven't noticed anything in either
> that would indicate a head gasket problem. And I've just replaced all of the
> RAD sensors so they are accurate. IDEAS?

How do you measure the 110°C? Does your coolant temperature gauge
actually have numbers on it (rather than just high and low indicators)
or are you reading it from the MAF? The only temperature I can read on
my '87 GTi is from the MAF, and that is the oil temperature, not the
coolant temperature. My coolant temperature gauge is not calibrated in
degrees.

A very modest collection of Honda tech info can be found at:
http://www.geocities.com/ng_randolph
Old May 27th 05, 10:43 AM
SFC

The coolant temp is measured with the sensor (not the blue one) in the upper
radiator flange.

SFC

"HotRod" > schreef in bericht

Old May 30th 05, 03:17 PM
HotRod

When I first got the car the temp gauges and RAD fan weren't working, I
replaced all three temp sensors (1 in the RAD, 2 in the water jacket by the
engine) After replacing all of this I got the temp gauge and fans working
however it still seems to be to hot. I'm going to try and pull the
thermostat and see if that works. The temp I'm getting is from the dash
gauge, remember this is a Canadian Turbo Diesel.