Battery dead cannot roll car

Old August 28th 09, 01:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
ed

Default Battery dead cannot roll car

1999 Explorer FWD auto. The battery is dead. The front of the car is
under a shelf so I cannot open the hood. I put it in neutral but it
won't roll, seems locked. Is the 4wd system locking the wheels?
Old August 28th 09, 02:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ed

On Aug 28, 8:59*am, ed > wrote:
> 1999 Explorer FWD auto. *The battery is dead. *The front of the car is
> under a shelf so I cannot open the hood. *I put it in neutral but it
> won't roll, seems locked. *Is the 4wd system locking the wheels?

BTW, it's an Eddy Bauer, 6 cyl.
Old August 28th 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 05:59:22 -0700 (PDT), ed >
wrote:

>1999 Explorer FWD auto. The battery is dead. The front of the car is
>under a shelf so I cannot open the hood. I put it in neutral but it
>won't roll, seems locked. Is the 4wd system locking the wheels?

Maybe the park pawl is stuck. Try rocking it forward and backward to
unstick it. I can't think of any other reason it would not move. Also
move the shift lever back and forth and leave it in low gear as it's
final position while you are trying to move it.
Old August 29th 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 11:58:45 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 05:59:22 -0700 (PDT), ed >
>wrote:
>
>>1999 Explorer FWD auto. The battery is dead. The front of the car is
>>under a shelf so I cannot open the hood. I put it in neutral but it
>>won't roll, seems locked. Is the 4wd system locking the wheels?

>Maybe the park pawl is stuck. Try rocking it forward and backward to
>unstick it. I can't think of any other reason it would not move. Also
>move the shift lever back and forth and leave it in low gear as it's
>final position while you are trying to move it.

Was the parking brake on? If so it may be slightly stuck (common). Try
this, put a 2x4 or some other relatively strong piece of wood under
the edge of the tire and try rolling it with that. I do this with the
big trucks I work with, it's amazing how easily it is to move a 5 ton
truck a couple of feet doing this, considering that two people pushing
on the bumper won't even rock it.
Old August 30th 09, 03:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
eddbst

Thanks guys. Nothing like this worked. But I found I had a couple
inches between the front bumper and the cement garage wall but no room
to work up there. So I give it an easy push with my Mustang and it
broke free. The charger is doing its thing now. Thanks again.

Battery going dead! Rusted Jeep 1 January 19th 06 09:17 PM
Battery going dead! Jerry Bransford Jeep 0 January 19th 06 05:45 PM
1997 SC2 Completely Dead, No Power, Not Dead Battery getjer1 Saturn 10 November 18th 05 04:05 AM
Dead Battery in 95 SL2 kj Saturn 2 June 7th 05 07:45 PM
When The Battery Light Comes On Does This Mean The Battery Is Going Dead? John Saturn 10 August 14th 04 01:25 AM