transmission fluid and rpm

Old August 20th 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
trixluck

Default transmission fluid and rpm

my neighborhood got flooded and my truck sat for 2 weeks drying out.
unbelievably, its running now, but the guy at the auto store said i
need to buy some more transmission fluid and put it in. do i pour it
in the same place i check it? and, i dont know if i just pour it in,
or if its like changing oil, getting under the truck and draining it.
i think he said to do it while the truck is running, is this true?
will this stop my truck from idling at 2000 rpm? it used to idle at
about 1500. damn thing almost tries to take off at the stop lights if
i barely take my foot off the brake.
Old August 20th 09, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
trixluck

oops sorry, its a 2000 explorer
Old August 21st 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 11:50:24 -0700 (PDT), trixluck
> wrote:

>my neighborhood got flooded and my truck sat for 2 weeks drying out.
>unbelievably, its running now, but the guy at the auto store said i
>need to buy some more transmission fluid and put it in. do i pour it
>in the same place i check it? and, i dont know if i just pour it in,
>or if its like changing oil, getting under the truck and draining it.
>i think he said to do it while the truck is running, is this true?
> will this stop my truck from idling at 2000 rpm? it used to idle at
>about 1500. damn thing almost tries to take off at the stop lights if
>i barely take my foot off the brake.

I think (personally) you have more than a few problems with this
vehicle. First, ignore the knuckle dragger at teh parts store, he
doesn't know what he's talking about.

If the ATF is contaminated, your transmission should be flushed
properly.

The fast idle is a totally different problem, if this is new since
flooding then you need to take it to a compentent mechanic to have it
checked. Have them do a scan and see what codes are being set. Heck,
they can check the trans fluid for contamination at the same time.

Do NOT just dump more fluid into the transmission if you don't know
exactly what you are doing--the result can easily be a damaged
transmission.
Old August 21st 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Flood? I think it might be time to involve your insurance carrier.... If the
water got high enough to contaminate the transmission fluid, chances are you
will have electrical headaches for a long time to come...

Getting cheap and trying to do unfamiliar DIY tasks at this point in time
will more than likely lead to some serious out of pocket mistakes in the
near future.

Transmission Fluid W Moore Corvette 5 January 15th 09 09:44 PM
99 Nissan Maxima, automatic transmission fluid for power steering fluid? [email protected] Technology 6 December 2nd 08 03:21 PM
Transmission Fluid again [email protected] Chrysler 15 August 1st 07 11:09 AM
Accord Brake Fluid & Transmission Fluid Problems ? Robert11 Honda 0 February 11th 07 08:08 PM
Transmission Fluid Dan Fraser Dodge 12 August 10th 04 06:08 AM