Power Steering Pump/Car Stalling?

Old August 27th 05, 11:58 PM
Kyonn Gowans

Default Power Steering Pump/Car Stalling?

Lately my '89 Cherokee is stalling when I make turns (right or left). This
only seems to happen after I've been going relatively fast like on the
highway, first I'll feel a slight lose of power and then after I attempt to
make a turn the car will shut off midway through the turn. This has been
going on for about 3 months now (lucky for me I do very little highway
driving).

Prior to this problem I noticed I was leaking power steering fluid. I've
been monitoring the levels and keep filling it back up until I have the time
to get under there and see where the leak is coming from a fix it. Could the
power steering pump be the cause of my problem? Any ideas or suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.

Old August 30th 05, 01:22 AM
DougW

Kyonn Gowans did pass the time by typing:
> Lately my '89 Cherokee is stalling when I make turns (right or left). This
> only seems to happen after I've been going relatively fast like on the
> highway, first I'll feel a slight lose of power and then after I attempt to
> make a turn the car will shut off midway through the turn. This has been
> going on for about 3 months now (lucky for me I do very little highway
> driving).
>
> Prior to this problem I noticed I was leaking power steering fluid. I've
> been monitoring the levels and keep filling it back up until I have the time
> to get under there and see where the leak is coming from a fix it. Could the
> power steering pump be the cause of my problem? Any ideas or suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.

There is no real connection between the two, apart from engine load.
My first thought is you have a vac leak, spray some carb cleaner around
the base of your carburator and listen for any changes. If the engine
stammers then you need to replace the carb gasket. You can do the same
thing on the hoses, look for cracks.

As for the PS system, Leaks usually come from one of three places.
Return hose cracked at the bottle (or bottle nipple cracked)
Supply hose pinhole, not easy to see, usually shows up as oil/dirt
stuck all over the side of the engine.
O ring between the PS pump and reservoir. In this case it leaks
between the pump and reservoir. Fairly easy fix, NAPA has the rings.
Just take it easy with the reservoir as older ones tend to crack.

--
DougW

Old August 30th 05, 01:23 AM
DougW

Oh.. forgot.

Check your motor mounts and the engine ground strap.
Busted mounts and a shot ground strap can also cause
the engine to cut out on turns.

Old August 30th 05, 01:24 PM
Kyonn Gowans

Thanks for the input

Old September 12th 05, 06:18 PM
Rich Hampel

Check the high pressure hose from power steering pump .... looking for
a small electical switch mounted/connected directly into the pressure
line. It will have two electrical leads .... one black the other
usually blue with a brown stripe. There is also usually a 5 amp fuse
somewhere nearby (orange leads).
This switch is an "Idle kicker" that increases engine rpm when the
PSteering pump is straining during a left handed turn (doesnt strain so
when turning fully right). Replace the switch and all will be fine
again. Problem is that these idle kick switches were mostly/sometimes
applied to carburated Jeeps from the 1980s and are hard to find in
aftermarket or even dealer sources.
If carburated also check the rubber vacuum hose to the idle kicker
diaphragm/dash pot on the carburator to be sure that the hose is still
intact and check (energize) the electrically operated vacuum switch
that usually sits up on the left inner fender .... vac hose runs across
to the carb from the vac. switch. .
When turning left it takes more Horsepower drain from the pump so you
need a 'kicker' on the carb to slightly increase the rpm ... or the
vehicle will stall. Doesnt happen when turning to the right.

Hope this helps.
;-)

In article >, Kyonn Gowans