Should driveshaft turn at all (by hand)

Old August 5th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
JohnV@nn

Default Should driveshaft turn at all (by hand)

I'm trying to assess the condition of my 93's U joints. I got under
the car and tried to turn the driveshaft by hand. I could turn it a
little bit, I would say about 1/4" of travel measured at the surface of
the shaft. Should I be able to turn it at all by hand?

Thanks,
John V

Old August 5th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
.boB[_1_]

JohnV@nn wrote:
> I'm trying to assess the condition of my 93's U joints. I got under
> the car and tried to turn the driveshaft by hand. I could turn it a
> little bit, I would say about 1/4" of travel measured at the surface of
> the shaft. Should I be able to turn it at all by hand?
>
> Thanks,
> John V

Not really. Each part between the trans output shaft and the axles has a very
small amount of play required, like .005". All those areas wear over time. And they
all add up. Even in a new car, you'll be able to move the driveshaft a slight
amount. Slight. 1/4" is too much. Grab the pinion flange and see how much that
moves.

--
..boB
Arrived: 2006 FXDI, Red.

Old August 6th 06, 05:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article > , .boB wrote:
> JohnV@nn wrote:
>> I'm trying to assess the condition of my 93's U joints. I got under
>> the car and tried to turn the driveshaft by hand. I could turn it a
>> little bit, I would say about 1/4" of travel measured at the surface of
>> the shaft. Should I be able to turn it at all by hand?

> Not really. Each part between the trans output shaft and the axles has a very
> small amount of play required, like .005". All those areas wear over time. And they
> all add up. Even in a new car, you'll be able to move the driveshaft a slight
> amount. Slight. 1/4" is too much. Grab the pinion flange and see how much that
> moves.

He's not looking at fore-aft movement, but rather backlash.

By grabbing the drive shaft and turning it, he's measuring the backlash
of the entire driveline by feel. There really isn't a spec for turning it
like that because each part is usually measured indiviudually. I've done
this on occasion, and I would say that along the circumference of the
drive shaft, it sounds pretty normal.

The shop manual I have shows a method to measure backlash of the rear
axle. Along the tire at the specified circumference with the specified
torque applied, 1 inch or less is considered normal.