service engine soon 98 caravan

Old December 9th 04, 06:08 PM
John

Default service engine soon 98 caravan

My engine light on my Dodge Caran just turned on, and i now learned
that it was because my gas cap was not on.
My question is, is there a way to reset this light on 1998 Dodge Caran.
Thanks for your help

Old December 9th 04, 09:23 PM
fweddybear

>My engine light on my Dodge Caran just turned on, and i now learned
>that it was because my gas cap was not on.
>My question is, is there a way to reset this light on 1998 Dodge Caran.
>Thanks for your help

My 88 caravan had a switch behind the dashboard (where the instrument
panel is) that you just pushed to reset. Not sure on my 97, although I
think if you disconnect the battery for a few minutes then reconnect it,
that may reset the codes it stores. What does the manual say??

Good Luck...

fwed

Old December 10th 04, 12:54 AM
Neil Nelson

In article <dt2ud.1089$jn.886@lakeread06>,
"fweddybear" > wrote:

> >My engine light on my Dodge Caran just turned on, and i now learned
> >that it was because my gas cap was not on.
> >My question is, is there a way to reset this light on 1998 Dodge Caran.
> >Thanks for your help

> My 88 caravan had a switch behind the dashboard (where the instrument
> panel is) that you just pushed to reset.

No it didn't.
The switch that you're remembering is/was to reset the
"Maintenance Required" light which is/was a whole different
animal from an SES light.
Old December 10th 04, 01:05 AM
fweddybear

"fweddybear" > wrote:

> >My engine light on my Dodge Caran just turned on, and i now learned
> >that it was because my gas cap was not on.
> >My question is, is there a way to reset this light on 1998 Dodge Caran.
> >Thanks for your help

> My 88 caravan had a switch behind the dashboard (where the instrument
> panel is) that you just pushed to reset.

>No it didn't.
>The switch that you're remembering is/was to reset the
>"Maintenance Required" light which is/was a whole different
>animal from an SES light.

Oops.... sorry.. I thought they were the same... so how would you fix
this guys problem??

Fwed

Old December 10th 04, 04:17 AM
Mark

Hi,
On many cars, it will reset itself once the cap is tightened. It may take
a few days, because the system has to go through a certain amount of cycles
to be sure that the fault is gone. Then, the light will go out.
Mark

Old December 10th 04, 04:03 PM
Neil Nelson

In article <uI5ud.1599$jn.581@lakeread06>,
"fweddybear" > wrote:

> >No it didn't.
> >The switch that you're remembering is/was to reset the
> >"Maintenance Required" light which is/was a whole different
> >animal from an SES light.

> Oops.... sorry.. I thought they were the same... so how would you fix
> this guys problem??

I'd plug in my scan tool and clear the trouble code, that way the
adaptive memories for the engine and transmission won't be
disturbed. (this assumes that the original problem was indeed a
hurried fuel stop)
Old December 12th 04, 10:33 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Neil Nelson" > wrote in message
> In article <uI5ud.1599$jn.581@lakeread06>,
> "fweddybear" > wrote:
>
> > >No it didn't.
> > >The switch that you're remembering is/was to reset the
> > >"Maintenance Required" light which is/was a whole different
> > >animal from an SES light.

> > Oops.... sorry.. I thought they were the same... so how would you

fix
> > this guys problem??

> I'd plug in my scan tool and clear the trouble code, that way the
> adaptive memories for the engine and transmission won't be
> disturbed. (this assumes that the original problem was indeed a
> hurried fuel stop)

How about just doing nothing because the code will reset itself after 50
starts or so, if nothing else is wrong and the original fault isn't there
anymore.

Ted

Old December 12th 04, 04:12 PM
Neil Nelson

In article >,
"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote:

> > I'd plug in my scan tool and clear the trouble code, that way the
> > adaptive memories for the engine and transmission won't be
> > disturbed. (this assumes that the original problem was indeed a
> > hurried fuel stop)

> How about just doing nothing because the code will reset itself after 50
> starts or so, if nothing else is wrong and the original fault isn't there
> anymore.

Yup, he could do that if the light isn't too annoying.

of course, if he has an emissions test coming up, he may not
pass, and if another fault should crop up while driving, he won't
know about it.
Old December 21st 04, 07:36 PM
John

Update:
Problem solved, i unplugged the battery cable for 5 min, problem has
gone away.
Thanks for your help