thinking about buying a temporary car

Old February 7th 05, 02:40 PM
Sam O'Nella

> Any other suggestions as to what cars to look at? Any commenst on
> the reliability of the above cars?

I think you need to do some "what if" calcs of TCO (Total Cost of
Ownership); include projected miles per year, fuel economy, initial purchase
price, depreciation, and insurance. I'll bet a couple year old car with
your features will be the most cost effective for you.

For example, if you heard car talk last week, you'll notice it made more
sense for the family to increase their 10 mpg SUV to 11 mpg rather than
trade in their 100 mpg hybrid for the 200 mpg one.

A Lease is never a good idea for a consumer (but great for the dealer); it's
a scheme where barely credit worthy people can drive more car than they can
truly afford for awhile. At the lease end, they HAVE to do something -
either turn the car in and get nothing for their payments, or buy the car at
a ridiculous price.

And, above all, AVOID DEALERS except for warranty work! Buy from
individuals, and have the car inspected by a 3rd party - you will save
thousands.

Old February 7th 05, 03:20 PM
Magnulus

"Sam O'Nella" > wrote in message
> For example, if you heard car talk last week, you'll notice it made more
> sense for the family to increase their 10 mpg SUV to 11 mpg rather than
> trade in their 100 mpg hybrid for the 200 mpg one.

I think that arguement misses the point: should people be driving a car
that gets 11 mpg when there may be a more fuel efficient car that could
meet their needs?

I believe what you are saying- is the increase in gas mileage in a hybrid
worth it vs. owning a fuel efficient, small car? There is a point of
diminishing returns, I suppose, in purely monitary terms. But just
consider that a Corolla is rated at emitting around 6 lbs. of CO2 or so, a
Ford Focus around 7, and a Prius emits about 3.5 ; that's a significant
difference, and the Prius is actually a slightly bigger car with mone
ammenities (that's often overlooked in the price comparison- a Prius is not
simply a bare-bones Corolla feature-wise- for one traction control is
standard, as is ABS and it has a good air conditioning/heating system). Of
course, those cars are far less than a large SUV, which is around 12.5 lbs
of CO2 for the same amount of mileage.

These are things that an individual driver doesn't pay $$$ for (CO2
emissions), but they affect the planet and everybody on it collectively.

Old February 7th 05, 03:35 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a smaller car to drive for a year or so until
>the Prius price-gouging and shortages stop. My criteria is I want decent
>gas mileage, it MUST be a car (no SUV's or trucks), it should handle OK, and
>I want side-curtain airbags or side airbags in the front seat (thorax bags
>like on the Honda Civic don't count).

You're better off financially buying a new Prius now than buying a new
car now and then buying a new Prius a year from now. However, given
your irrational need for every last iota of safety equipment
regardless of cost, I suggest you just ride the bus instead.
Old February 7th 05, 03:40 PM
Sam O'Nella

> These are things that an individual driver doesn't pay $$$ for (CO2
> emissions), but they affect the planet and everybody on it
> collectively.

Heh. The problem is hardly anyone thinks like you, so really you're just
****ing into the ocean.
If you want to spend $1000s to feel better about yourself, fine. The earth
started out as a smouldering ball of rock and given the current
administration, will soon become one again

If you really want to "save the planet" (for whom?), invest in birth
control! You'd be much kinder to the earth by driving a Hummer and having
no kids than having one and driving a Prius.

Old February 7th 05, 03:43 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article >,
Magnulus > wrote:

>"Timothy J. Lee" > wrote in message
>> If it is a new car, it will be costly to own it for a year or so, since
>> you'll have to buy it from a dealer, but you'll get at most private party
>> price when you sell it (not to mention paying sales tax that you won't
>> recover).

> What kind of value would I get on trading it in to a dealer after a year
>or two (assuming it is in good condition)? Less than blue book?

The dealers have their own little book which they pull values out of.
And they always low-ball you. However, they'll probably stamp
"Sucker" on your forehead for free.
Old February 7th 05, 04:09 PM
Bill the second

"Magnulus" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Sam O'Nella" > wrote in message
>> For example, if you heard car talk last week, you'll notice it made more
>> sense for the family to increase their 10 mpg SUV to 11 mpg rather than
>> trade in their 100 mpg hybrid for the 200 mpg one.

> I think that arguement misses the point: should people be driving a car
> that gets 11 mpg when there may be a more fuel efficient car that could
> meet their needs?
>
> I believe what you are saying- is the increase in gas mileage in a hybrid
> worth it vs. owning a fuel efficient, small car? There is a point of
> diminishing returns, I suppose, in purely monitary terms. But just
> consider that a Corolla is rated at emitting around 6 lbs. of CO2 or so, a
> Ford Focus around 7, and a Prius emits about 3.5 ; that's a significant
> difference, and the Prius is actually a slightly bigger car with mone
> ammenities (that's often overlooked in the price comparison- a Prius is
> not
> simply a bare-bones Corolla feature-wise- for one traction control is
> standard, as is ABS and it has a good air conditioning/heating system).
> Of
> course, those cars are far less than a large SUV, which is around 12.5 lbs
> of CO2 for the same amount of mileage.
>
> These are things that an individual driver doesn't pay $$$ for (CO2
> emissions), but they affect the planet and everybody on it collectively.

Due to testing methods, the mileage reported by government testing won't
match the real life mileage... especially with hybrids. The numbers are
inflated.

Old February 7th 05, 04:54 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

Magnulus wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a smaller car to drive for a year or so

until
> the Prius price-gouging and shortages stop.

A wise financial plan ...

> My criteria is I want decent gas mileage

Not a bad idea; depends on your definition of 'decent'.

> it MUST be a car (no SUV's or trucks)

Another good idea of you don't need the space.

> it should handle OK,

Depends on your definition of 'OK'. But the better the handling, the
better the *active safety* of the car. You're a complete idiot if you
think side airbags are more important to you than ABS.

> I want side-curtain airbags or side airbags in the front seat (thorax

bags
> like on the Honda Civic don't count).

OK; you're a typical New Age Wimp who buys a car *planning* to crash
it. Dumb.

> So far, I have found these cars that would fit the bill:
>
> - Toyota Corolla
> - Toyota Matrix
> - Ford Focus hatchback

Not to mention boring. OK; I'll admit to almost a decade of Toyota
Corollas in my misspent youth when fuel economy and dependability were
the primary considerations. However, I never planned to crash one (and
never did, at least seriously). That was in the days before exploding
whoopie cushion steering wheels and dashboards. Since then, I've
learned it's lots better *not to crash* and *not* to allow morons to
crash into me. I'm really good at it, too.

> Any other suggestions as to what cars to look at? Any commenst

on the
> reliability of the above cars?

The Toyotas are as reliable as dirt. Unfortunately, they're almost as
boring as you must be. Drive one for a few years until you figure that
out. Then, get back to us about which *fun* car you want to replace
your 'hair shirt' transportation module.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Been there; done that)

Old February 7th 05, 05:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Sam O'Nella wrote:

> For example, if you heard car talk last week, you'll notice

....that those two idiots are still giving out wrong advice and laughing at
their own dumb jokes.
Old February 7th 05, 05:53 PM
Harry K

Magnulus wrote:
> I am thinking about buying a smaller car to drive for a year or so

until
> the Prius price-gouging and shortages stop. My criteria is I want

decent
> gas mileage, it MUST be a car (no SUV's or trucks), it should handle

OK, and
> I want side-curtain airbags or side airbags in the front seat (thorax

bags
> like on the Honda Civic don't count).
>
> So far, I have found these cars that would fit the bill:
>
> - Toyota Corolla
> - Toyota Matrix
> - Ford Focus hatchback
>
> Car Talk says the Toyota Matrix is about 2,000 dollars more than a

Focus
> station wagon. I've priced one out, with all the options I'd want,

> around $17,500. I believe a Ford Focus would start around 14,500

with the
> options I'd want (namely, the side airbag). The Corolla is probably
> similarly priced.
>
> Any other suggestions as to what cars to look at? Any commenst

on the
> reliability of the above cars?

You will proably be money ahead to buy the Prius now. The loss you
will take by buying a bottom line new car now and trading in a year or
two will be more than the 'overpricing' on the Prius. You will also
gain another year or two of 'saving the planet'

Harry K

Old February 7th 05, 09:24 PM
Ulf

Harry K wrote:
> Magnulus wrote:
>
>>I am thinking about buying a smaller car to drive for a year or so

> until
>
>>the Prius price-gouging and shortages stop. My criteria is I want

> decent
>
>>gas mileage, it MUST be a car (no SUV's or trucks), it should handle

> OK, and
>
>>I want side-curtain airbags or side airbags in the front seat (thorax

> bags
>
>>like on the Honda Civic don't count).
>>
>> So far, I have found these cars that would fit the bill:
>>
>> - Toyota Corolla
>> - Toyota Matrix
>> - Ford Focus hatchback
>>
>> Car Talk says the Toyota Matrix is about 2,000 dollars more than a

> Focus
>
>>station wagon. I've priced one out, with all the options I'd want,

>>around $17,500. I believe a Ford Focus would start around 14,500

> with the
>
>>options I'd want (namely, the side airbag). The Corolla is probably
>>similarly priced.
>>
>> Any other suggestions as to what cars to look at? Any commenst

> on the
>
>>reliability of the above cars?

> You will proably be money ahead to buy the Prius now. The loss you
> will take by buying a bottom line new car now and trading in a year or
> two will be more than the 'overpricing' on the Prius.

Yup, buying a new car and only keep it a year does not make any sense.
You'll lose *a lot* of money.

> You will also
> gain another year or two of 'saving the planet'

LOL. And it's not like you can measure "saving the planet" in dollars
and cents... :-)

> Harry K

Ulf

honda hr-v buying advice Icabod Honda 3 January 23rd 05 12:11 AM
Taking The Haggling Out Of Buying That New '05 Auto Azam Chrysler 0 January 15th 05 06:15 AM
Buying an Audi A4 need Advise Buying a Used Audi Audi 12 November 14th 04 02:40 PM
Mitsubishi Montero - thinking of buying one. Is it reliable? fern 4x4 5 August 25th 04 11:00 AM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM