Vacuum Reservoir for A/C System

Old March 12th 05, 04:51 PM
Papa

Default Vacuum Reservoir for A/C System

This reservoir is attached to the inside surface of the hood, colored black,
and looks like a bunch of tennis balls. Is it really necessary? Will the A/C
work without it? My car is a 1988 VW (Rabbit) Cabriolet Convertible. Thanks
for responding.

Old March 12th 05, 04:57 PM
Joseph Meehan

Are you sure it is there only for the A/C?

Vacuum systems generally server a number of functions.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
ink.net...

Old March 12th 05, 07:53 PM
Randolph

Papa wrote:

> This reservoir is attached to the inside surface of the hood, colored black,
> and looks like a bunch of tennis balls. Is it really necessary? Will the A/C
> work without it? My car is a 1988 VW (Rabbit) Cabriolet Convertible. Thanks
> for responding.

That particular vacuum reservoir is not specific to the A/C, it is for
the ventilation system in general. Vacuum from the reservoir is used to
open and close the flaps to direct air to the various vents as well as
to switch between fresh and recirk.

If you remove the reservoir and leave the hoses open, you will not be
able to direct the air where you want it, but the A/C will still work.
If you bypass the reservoir (and remove it) the A/C & ventilation system
will work fine most of the time, but you will find that during heavy
acceleration the air flow from the ventilation system may change, and
then return to after you are done accelerating.
Old March 12th 05, 09:24 PM
Papa

Hi Randolph:

Thank you for a very definitive answer. When I purchased this car a few
weeks ago it did not have the reservoir, but at least the vacuum line going
to it was capped off, and everything seems to work just fine. I haven't
tried the A/C yet, its still winter here. Anyway, I showed the car to my
local VW service manager and he did not seem to think that its absence was
much of a detriment. I have looked just about everywhere for a replacement
reservoir, including Ebay, but no luck so far.

Old March 12th 05, 10:30 PM
Randolph

Papa wrote:

> Hi Randolph:
>
> Thank you for a very definitive answer. When I purchased this car a few
> weeks ago it did not have the reservoir, but at least the vacuum line going
> to it was capped off, and everything seems to work just fine. I haven't
> tried the A/C yet, its still winter here. Anyway, I showed the car to my
> local VW service manager and he did not seem to think that its absence was
> much of a detriment. I have looked just about everywhere for a replacement
> reservoir, including Ebay, but no luck so far.

Head to the local junk yard. The same vacuum tank (part number 321 820
601) was used in the cabriolet from around 1984 through around 1993, so
it should be easy to find one.
Old March 13th 05, 12:14 AM
Papa

"Randolph" > wrote in message

> Papa wrote:
>>
>> Hi Randolph:
>>
>> Thank you for a very definitive answer. When I purchased this car a few
>> weeks ago it did not have the reservoir, but at least the vacuum line
>> going
>> to it was capped off, and everything seems to work just fine. I haven't
>> tried the A/C yet, its still winter here. Anyway, I showed the car to my
>> local VW service manager and he did not seem to think that its absence
>> was
>> much of a detriment. I have looked just about everywhere for a
>> replacement
>> reservoir, including Ebay, but no luck so far.

> Head to the local junk yard. The same vacuum tank (part number 321 820
> 601) was used in the cabriolet from around 1984 through around 1993, so
> it should be easy to find one.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.