getting ready to do it

Old January 24th 05, 04:58 AM
Nathan W. Collier

Default getting ready to do it

http://img1.imagevenue.com/loc171/47e_rubi.jpg

i went yesterday to order my '05 rubicon but stopped at the last minute for
a few reasons. i test drove the 6 speed and really enjoyed it around town,
but i prefer the automatic for off roading. the only thing i didnt like
about my last rubicon was the shovel, and the mileage. im wondering if there
is a real aftermarket solution yet to the shovel (that doesnt involve an
engine lift), and if the manual gets any real increase in mileage?
also, the dealer said he had one on his other lot just like i wanted, but
with the grey flares/top. he said if i buy it that he will swap the top for
a black one and have the flares rhino-lined black. something just doesnt
feel right about that, opinions?

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old January 24th 05, 05:49 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You coulda had a V8.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 24th 05, 02:27 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

I don't know if the auto and the manual use the same skidplate, but I don't
see any reason why the Warn aftermarket skid (which you can get through the
dealer) wouldn't fit. Your driving habits would probably have more to do
with mileage than the choice of tranny, though the manual will probably get
slightley better mileage, everything else being equal. But something to
consider as well...in the mountains of Montana, you might get tired of
shifting on those mountain roads.

As long as the flares are prepped well (decently scuff-sanded), there
shouldn't be a problem with the rhino-lining them, but the right way to do
it would be to remove them from the jeep, and if he's gonna do that he might
as well swap them out for the black ones on the one he's getting the black
top from.

Old January 24th 05, 05:32 PM
Jeff Strickland

I agree with Matt, the gusto you use in operating the pedals has more to do
with mileage than the choice of trans.

And, you can get a BellyUp skid plate that will solve the shovel issues.

Old January 25th 05, 04:10 AM

>L.W. Hughes III (=DFill) wrote:
> You coulda had a V8.

Hey Bill,
I can't find the V8 option button on http://www.jeep.com/wrangler/
anywhere.
Maybe you have a link you can share with us.... ;-)

Old January 25th 05, 04:36 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
>Your driving habits would probably have more to do with mileage than the
>choice of tranny

i seem to recall getting around 16 mpg (mixed city/highway) with my '00
manual sahara on 33s. the best i ever got on my auto/rubi was 14.9 (iirc)
and that was all highway. it usually got around 14. i know you cant
compare gas to diesel but interesting enough, my '01 cummins 2500 4x4 dodge
is getting over 21, and the '04.5 cummins 3500 4x4 dodge is getting 18+ and
its not even broken in yet. both weigh nearly double what my rubicon
weighed and i drive them a lot faster.

> in the mountains of Montana, you might get tired of shifting on those
> mountain roads.

lol.....very true.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old January 25th 05, 04:36 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> And, you can get a BellyUp skid plate that will solve the shovel issues.

good enough, auto it is. thanks!

--

Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old January 25th 05, 05:55 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
> You coulda had a V8.

if i can get over this "buy a new jeep every 2 years" thing i might
eventually pay one off. then i could see a 5.7 hemi conversion. :-)

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old January 29th 05, 03:45 AM
Lon

Nathan W. Collier proclaimed:

> "L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
>
>> You coulda had a V8.

> if i can get over this "buy a new jeep every 2 years" thing i might
> eventually pay one off. then i could see a 5.7 hemi conversion. :-)

Piker. You want a 6.1 at the very least. Or a classical Crate
Hemi.
Old January 29th 05, 05:32 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Lon" > wrote in message
> You want a 6.1 at the very least. Or a classical Crate
> Hemi.

heh. id actually be more inclined to swap in an oil burner than a v8.

--

Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com