Ball joints

Old November 21st 04, 01:05 AM
JS

Default Ball joints

Anybody know how to get them off? I've got a 66 in need of new tie rod ends
and ball joints. Are there any Bug specific presses I should look into? Or
some kind of homemade device?

TIA,
John

Old November 21st 04, 01:12 AM
Jan Andersson

JS wrote:

> Anybody know how to get them off? I've got a 66 in need of new tie rod ends
> and ball joints. Are there any Bug specific presses I should look into? Or
> some kind of homemade device?
>
> TIA,
> John

The last ones I had pressed out by a shop took 13 metric tons before
they poppe3d out.

I don't think any homemade device could hack it.

You could try heat with a weaker press.

What I do is I take the arms out and take them to a shop that does
balljoints.
Lucky me, my friend works for one.

Note the direction during assembly... they only move in one direction.
The housing is marked, as is the arm.
(underneath all that crud and dirt)

Jan
Old November 21st 04, 01:58 AM
dragenwagen

agreed... take the arms off and take them to a shop to have new joints
pressed in.

I bought new ball joints and took the arms off, cleaned them up and took
them to a guy and he had them done in about 20 minutes. charged me $20.
some places wanted $20 an arm. so watch out for the hi-way robbers who
charge too much!

************************************************** **************
dragenwagen
1966 Type I - Daily Driver
1969 Type I - Undergoing heater channel replacement
http://www.ramva.org/dragenwagen
"Old VW's Don't Leak Oil, They Mark Their Territory."
************************************************** **************

Old November 21st 04, 02:40 AM
Speedy Jim

JS wrote:

> Anybody know how to get them off? I've got a 66 in need of new tie rod ends
> and ball joints. Are there any Bug specific presses I should look into? Or
> some kind of homemade device?
>
> TIA,
> John

And you'll want to buy this lever-action tool to get the
ball joint studs out of the spindles:
http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...r-TA61900.HTML

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/
Old November 22nd 04, 01:38 AM
JS

Does this tool really do it? Have you actually used it to remove the ball
joints? They seem pretty heavy duty.

Thanks,
John

Old November 22nd 04, 01:41 AM
JS

Ooops, never mind. I just read what you wrote again. Disregard the last
post.

John

Old November 22nd 04, 03:56 AM
Jay McGraw

Wow! One place I went wanted $85/arm and the other wanted $165 for all 4! I
already have the ball joints!
These were both VW places too!

Jay

Old November 22nd 04, 08:06 PM
David

Jay McGraw wrote:
> Wow! One place I went wanted $85/arm and the other wanted $165 for
> all 4! I already have the ball joints!
> These were both VW places too!
>
> Jay

I paid $20/arm with my own ball joints, the only other option I saw was a mail order company and they wanted $80 +
shipping and my old arms returned , I forget but I think it was in Ca, so with sipping both ways I figured it was
cheaper to pay locally (east coast).
Dave

Old November 22nd 04, 10:04 PM
TerryB

"JS" > wrote in
:

> Anybody know how to get them off? I've got a 66 in need of new tie
> rod ends and ball joints. Are there any Bug specific presses I should
> look into? Or some kind of homemade device?
>
> TIA,
> John

Take it from someone who like to do it their self, take them somewhere and
let a pro do this. I did mine myself with a press we have(uses a hyd.
jack) and it was a very scarry process as it took loads of pressure to move
them and when they did move it sounded like someone set off a small
explosive device in your face. READ DANGEROUS

Pressing them back in was a breeze. Mine were 68 vintage and probably had
never been changed.

--
Terry B
AKA VDUBBS

Lower ball joints scapa Honda 1 December 30th 04 12:27 AM
2002 Caravan Ball Joints Ken Kociolek Chrysler 20 December 7th 04 03:37 PM
Saturn Lemons- epidemic flaws, engine cracks, ball joints misterfact Antique cars 0 January 6th 04 07:04 PM