98 EB SOHC, AC problem

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 22nd 05, 02:01 AM
No Email Address

Here is my two-pennyworth.

1998 will probably be R134a material (mine is both 1998 AND R134a). This the
home-fixer can add with ease. Its about $7 a can from Wal-Mart and you will
need a hose adapter ($5). Don't buy a pressure gauge.

Try topping it up with plain R134a first - no oil, no leak detector. Borrow
a manual if you never tried it before, a Haynes from your local library
tells you how. Most important that you find the low pressure side of the
system to add refrigerant to, but on the 98 the hose adapter don't fit the
high pressure side.

When connected to low pressure side, and hose valve open, turn engine on,
turn a/c on and turn can upside down.

Expect to put 1 to 4 tins of refrigerant in.

Total cost? $7 to $28.

Maybe costs $7 a year thereafter.

--
Kindest regards