96/7 vw golf 8v non starter help me before i go bald

Old May 5th 05, 10:34 PM

Default 96/7 vw golf 8v non starter help me before i go bald

Hi all
help me please
ive got a 96 golf 1800 8v
its been in a garage for 3 weeks no names mentioned
they have tried a new coilpack/amplfier
a new distributor
they have sent away the computer ecu thingy for testing and it came
back fine ive put plugs,cap and rotor im myself
and it still wont spark does anyone have a clue what my problem can be.
ive got it back after a big bill from the garage but they had to hold
there hands up i cantafford a main dealer at 85 per hour after all this
please help me someone
thanks

p.s i dont think my next car will be a golf

Old May 5th 05, 10:53 PM
beerismygas

no spark at all?

check the earth strap ( $1 )

Old May 6th 05, 08:39 AM

schrieb:

> ive got a 96 golf 1800 8v
> its been in a garage for 3 weeks no names mentioned
> they have tried a new coilpack/amplfier
> a new distributor
> they have sent away the computer ecu thingy for testing and it came
> back fine ive put plugs,cap and rotor im myself
> and it still wont spark does anyone have a clue what my problem can

be.

You problem is your garage. Find one which knows what they are doing.

Did they checked the hall sensor? There will be no sparks if it is
dead.
Did they read out the fault codes the ecu thingy could possibly be
reporting?
Did they checked if the ECU is getting the power (+12V volts) at all?

> p.s i dont think my next car will be a golf

Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Old May 7th 05, 02:54 AM
Woodchuck

85 per hour, I'm sure they would have found the issue already. The A3's will
start with the distribuor diconnected. Lately I have seen a rash of A3's
which have ECU harness wiring problems in that the ECU and other realted
sensors and things have no ground.

oups.com...

Old May 7th 05, 06:23 PM

Woodchuck wrote:
> 85 per hour, I'm sure they would have found the issue already. The

A3's will

Could be, but "expensive" nowadays does not necessary mean "competent".

> start with the distribuor diconnected. Lately I have seen a rash of

A3's

Distributor? You mean hall sensor which lives in it?
In this case doubt it In 1.8 8V monomotronic here is no other sensor
to tell the ECU that engine is turning

Old May 8th 05, 11:37 AM
Woodchuck

Maybe so, I didn't see the 1.8l thing. Here in the USA the 2.0l will run
with it unpluged... as the only purpose is to know where #1 TDC is for timed
injection.

oups.com...