tranny swap vw

Old May 3rd 05, 03:10 AM
MUADIB®

With minor Mods, one can put the motor from the 72 in the 65. With
some major mods, one could put both pieces in.

>was wondering if one could take a motor and tranny from a 72 super
>beetle and put it in a 65’ beetle.if so what would you have to
>do.thanx

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old May 3rd 05, 03:11 AM
shaneh

Default tranny swap vw

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/VW-Aircool...ict118432.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=574845

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 3rd 05, 03:15 AM
Lynn Martin

I think you'd have a lot of work to do. Especially since you're trying to
fit a tranny that is designed for Independent Rear Suspension (IRS), to a
swingaxle car.

Lynn
1974 Superbeetle

Old May 3rd 05, 04:16 AM
shaneh

"MUADIB1" wrote:
> With minor Mods, one can put the motor from the 72 in the 65.
> With
> some major mods, one could put both pieces in.
>

> >was wondering if one could take a motor and tranny from a 72

> super
> >beetle and put it in a 65’ beetle.if so what would you have

> >do.thanx

> Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
>
> MUADIB®
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html
>
> one small step for man,.....
> One giant leap for attorneys.

thats what i kindof thought about the rear ends of both vehicle but
just wanted to make sure.what kind of mods would i have to make to put
the engine in my 65’.my 65’ is 1200cc and the 72’ is 1600cc.will it
bolt up to the tranny for the 1200cc?

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/VW-Aircool...ict118432.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=574932

http://www.usenet.com
Old May 3rd 05, 05:33 AM
Anthony W

shaneh wrote:
> "MUADIB1" wrote:
>
> thats what i kindof thought about the rear ends of both vehicle but
> just wanted to make sure.what kind of mods would i have to make to put
> the engine in my 65’.my 65’ is 1200cc and the 72’ is 1600cc.will it
> bolt up to the tranny for the 1200cc?

I put a 70 1600 single port engine and gear box in my 66 Baja Bug. I
had the tranny shop modify the differential from the swing-Axle gear box
to take the later ring gear. What I ended up with was a 1970 swing axle
gear box that bolted right up to my 66. The axles tubes and brakes were
goos so I reused them.

It was well worth the cost of the ticket. Previously if I had to down
shift to 3rd on a hill I'd be lucky to make 35 MPH the rest of the way
up. With the later engine and trans, I could do 55 at the top of 3rd up
some pretty steep hill. If you've ever been to Newberg, Oregon, it
would fly up Rex Hill at 55 then I'd shift into 4th at the crest and
pull away at 65 MPH.

That engine was trashed by some asshole putting dirt down my carb. I'm
building a 1.7L dual port engine that should beat the crap out of the
old one.

Tony

Old May 3rd 05, 09:30 PM
shaneh

"shaneh" wrote:
> thats what i kindof thought about the rear ends of both
> vehicle but just wanted to make sure.what kind of mods would i
> have to make to put the engine in my 65'.my 65' is 1200cc and
> the 72' is 1600cc.will it bolt up to the tranny for the
> 1200cc?boinggg

well the reason i ask these ?s is because i might be getting a 72
beetle from some guy.i just wanted to use the engine from it but was
concerned if i had to make adjustments for the swap.could i buy a new
tranny that would work without having to modify much or anything at
all.what mods would i have to make to my old tranny from my 65’ to
work with the1600cc.would it even make a difference with the 1600cc
motor with the old tranny as far as power and top speed.sorry if my ?s
seem silly but ive never done something like this.was also
wondering,if for some reason its a regular beetle would everything
match up fine then(referring to the 72)the guy never stated if it was
a super or not.i just assumed.thanx
Old May 4th 05, 03:45 AM
shaneh

"shaneh" wrote:
> well the reason i ask these ?s is because i might be getting a
> 72 beetle from some guy.i just wanted to use the engine from
> it but was concerned if i had to make adjustments for the
> swap.could i buy a new tranny that would work without having
> to modify much or anything at all.what mods would i have to
> make to my old tranny from my 65' to work with the1600cc.would
> it even make a difference with the 1600cc motor with the old
> tranny as far as power and top speed.sorry if my ?s seem silly
> but ive never done something like this.was also wondering,if
> for some reason its a regular beetle would everything match up
> fine then(referring to the 72)the guy never stated if it was a
> super or not.i just assumed.thanx

r there any conversion kits someone could buy to fit the tranny from
the 72 into the 65’?or what needs to be done to make the 1600cc fit
with the old tranny?boinnnggg
Old May 5th 05, 04:56 AM
MUADIB®

I don;t see why you couldn;t use the same approach as Anthony. He
could probably walk you through some of the (what seems to be minor )
modifictions. Sounds like a good idea to me.
Hoever, It is very simple to do the tranny mod for the upgrade (if you
can clal it that) you can likely get a photo of what part of the
transmission to grind out for the extra diameter of the 12volt
flywheel. Jan has some pics somewhere, i am pretty sure he has posted
them before.He may be a bit busy right now though. Kidd just left to
go to see him............
Be patient and keep an eye out for more info.