A1 alternator, need advice

Old December 29th 04, 07:39 AM

Well, I did something with the alternator tonight. I went with the
easy route. I replaced my 65 amp unit with a rebuilt 65 amp unit. My
dash amp guage still reads a little over 13V and dips heavily with loud
music on account of the new audio components. But it does sound better
at high volume than before. I added some fluids to my battery that
seem to help it give at least some starting power. The said fluids are
left over fluids from a new motorcycle battery. That is, when I bought
a motorcycle battery a while ago, I had to fill it with a battery acid
solution, but was left with more than necessary. I put some of this
extra in my car battery. Adding this seemed to help the battery, but
the climate is warm now; it is about 10 degrees above freezing here in
southern Minnesota. I might know if my battery is up to the cold in a
week.

Peter Parker wrote:
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
> >What vehicle should I best be getting the alternator from? And what
> >steps can I expect when retrofitting it into my 82 vw pickup with

AC?

> You need to follow this flowchart like so many other people on this

NG.

http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~siva...-flowchart.jpg

Old December 29th 04, 03:03 PM

You only add electrolyte when the battery is a dry battery. Most auto
batteries are delivered wet. If youneed to add fluid you go to the
store and buy a jug of distilled water to top off.

http://www.trojan-battery.com/custom...erymaint5.html

wrote:

>Well, I did something with the alternator tonight. I went with the
>easy route. I replaced my 65 amp unit with a rebuilt 65 amp unit. My
>dash amp guage still reads a little over 13V and dips heavily with loud
>music on account of the new audio components. But it does sound better
>at high volume than before. I added some fluids to my battery that
>seem to help it give at least some starting power. The said fluids are
>left over fluids from a new motorcycle battery. That is, when I bought
>a motorcycle battery a while ago, I had to fill it with a battery acid
>solution, but was left with more than necessary. I put some of this
>extra in my car battery. Adding this seemed to help the battery, but
>the climate is warm now; it is about 10 degrees above freezing here in
>southern Minnesota. I might know if my battery is up to the cold in a
>week.
>
>Peter Parker wrote:
>> In article .com>,
>> > wrote:
>> >What vehicle should I best be getting the alternator from? And what
>> >steps can I expect when retrofitting it into my 82 vw pickup with

>AC?
>>
>> You need to follow this flowchart like so many other people on this

>NG.

http://www.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~siva...-flowchart.jpg

>> --
>> Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...