98 beetle speedometer

Old December 12th 04, 03:08 AM

what is with you guys. You seem sensitive as hell when it comes to
negative opinions towards vw. I own an 82 vw pickup and deal with its
pains, but I do think that this 98 beetle has been much too much
trouble for what it cost. And her vw dealer is a *******. I have seen
and dealt with the people there. I know. You people dont. The dealer
her and I deal with is *******ly. Give me this: yes, or no. Is it
necessary to pull the tranny to replace this gear? And what is the
technical name for it?

I have come to the conclusion that vw has significant problems now. I
dont like the heavy marketing and I really disapprove of the Phaeton.
This car is contradictory of vw heritage. The company name says it
all. I do appreciate the very aesthetic body styles out now. And I am
a huge proponent of vw diesel. If vw could really get on top if its
quality control, I would have no significant complaints.

Some people are going to feel obligated to reply. I would just hope
that this thread stay as far away from sarcasm and definately avoid
flaming. What do you think?

Biz wrote:
> "Woodchuck" > wrote in message
> > I told him how to do it!

> You're a better man than me. I would've given him a swift kick in

the

Old December 17th 04, 08:24 PM
William Maslin

In article .com>,
wrote:

> My girlfriend has a 98 beetle with an erratic speedometer. At highway
> speeds, the needle bounces back and forth about 5mph. That means she
> cant use the cruise. Very annoying. The ******* dealer said that they
> would need to pull the tranny to replace the slipping speedo gear.
> They want $700 to change a $20 part. I dont have a bentley for this
> car. Can this be done without pulling the tranny? I would rather do
> this myself because the dealer has taken her to the cleaners more than
> once. Personally I keep telling her to unload this car and get a cheap
> late 90's GM car. They are not as cute, but at least they arent ****.
> And you dont have to depend on a damb dealer.

Well, it does seem like you do have a bad dealer, and I know how you
feel because I'm been there, too. Fortunately, our VW dealer is
excellent (Quality VW of Tuscaloosa AL).

Along with mild to moderate quality control problems, I think VW's
greatest problem in the US is bad dealers. But this, to some extent,
comes from the top down with VWOA's "screw the cutomer attitude." (the
power window issue comes to mind, amomg other things). But VW is not
alone, as most auto manufacturers have a similar attitude (like Mazda),
and at least VW has greatly improved in this respect. And it does seem
like the early Beetles have more than their share of problems, typical
for a new design (the pioneers get the arrows).

So in my opinion you are justified in what you said about the dealer and
the car. However, I think everyone assumed you were referring to all
dealers in your post, which carefully re-reading indicates that you were
not. Woodchuck, an exceptionally helpful VW mechanic who works for a
great dealer, has given you the answer which sounds like it ain't gonna
be an easy job. I suspect a Bentley manual will be essential for this
job. $80 retail, $50 from Amazon.

By the way, is the trans manual or auto? Refilling the auto trans is a
tricky proposition ordinarily requiring VAG-COM software and a computer.
However, I saw a well illustrated web page about a year ago detailing a
"manual" technique for refilling the auto trans in a Beetle. Well, it
just occurred to me that someone may have posted instructions for
replacing the gear in a Beetle. Check
www.vwvortex.com. And another
thing occurred to me, too: is this gear covered by the 100K powertrain
warrranty? It might be worth calling VWOA.

Bill
78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93
95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02

--

Take out the invalid if replying by email
Old December 17th 04, 08:24 PM
William Maslin

Old December 18th 04, 03:17 AM

hey, thats great stuff. ill check that site. thanks.

****.

Old December 18th 04, 03:17 AM

William Maslin wrote:
> [...]

> By the way, is the trans manual or auto? Refilling the auto trans is

> tricky proposition ordinarily requiring VAG-COM software and a

computer.
> However, I saw a well illustrated web page about a year ago detailing

> "manual" technique for refilling the auto trans in a Beetle. Well,

it
> just occurred to me that someone may have posted instructions for
> replacing the gear in a Beetle. Check
www.vwvortex.com. And another

> thing occurred to me, too: is this gear covered by the 100K

powertrain
> warrranty? It might be worth calling VWOA.
>
> Bill
> 78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93
> 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
>
> --
>
> Take out the invalid if replying by email

Have Mexican Beetle, anyone else? Javier VW air cooled 8 January 15th 05 03:59 AM
Hondo civic, speedometer sensor fuse blowing up [email protected] Honda 3 January 15th 05 02:48 AM
FA: VW Beetle Reborn novelty clock Al Rock VW air cooled 0 January 3rd 05 10:57 PM
New Beetle Tim murphy VW air cooled 9 January 1st 05 04:54 PM
92 saturn SL-2 speedometer deast90 Saturn 2 July 18th 04 03:38 AM