Nav System mod

Old July 6th 06, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Michael D. Henderson

Default Nav System mod

I am about to purchase a Town & Country with the navigation system.
I understand that this system will not allow input while in motion,
even by the passenger. Is there a modification or key sequence that
will bypass this "feature"? I was able to find a "secret key sequence"
that allows me to override the lockout on my Lexus nav system.
Hopefully, there is also one for the Chrysler system.

Thanks,
mdh
Old July 6th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
damnnickname

That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
funtions while driving.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old July 6th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Richard

"damnnickname" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
> It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
> funtions while driving.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

This is more big brother than safety essential. Did it not pop into anyone's
mind that the passenger would be and should be able to program the GPS while
underway?

Richard.

Old July 6th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:44:28 -0400, Richard wrote:

> "damnnickname" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
>> It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
>> funtions while driving.
>>
>> Glenn Beasley
>> Chrysler Tech

> This is more big brother than safety essential. Did it not pop into anyone's
> mind that the passenger would be and should be able to program the GPS while
> underway?
>
> Richard.

The Alpine system in Chrysler's was designed by lawyers not engineers. In
addition to the annoying lockout it requires that you accept it's EULA
every time you start the car.

Old July 6th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Richard" > wrote in message

> "damnnickname" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
> > It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
> > funtions while driving.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> This is more big brother than safety essential. Did it not pop into

anyone's
> mind that the passenger would be and should be able to program the GPS

while
> underway?
>
> Richard.

Ah yea it did..... but if there is no passenger in the car would it not pop
back into your mind that now the driver would do it??

Old July 6th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Michael D. Henderson

damnnickname wrote:
> That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
> It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
> funtions while driving.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

That "safety feature" is not a safety feature when the programming
is done by the front seat passenger/navigator/copilot.

mdh

Old July 7th 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"Michael D. Henderson" > wrote in message
. ..
> damnnickname wrote:
> > That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
> > It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
> > funtions while driving.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> That "safety feature" is not a safety feature when the programming
> is done by the front seat passenger/navigator/copilot.
>
> mdh

And that is why it cant be programmed by the front seat
passenger/navigator/copilot when the vehicle is in motion!!

Old July 7th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Michael D. Henderson

maxpower wrote:
> "Michael D. Henderson" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> damnnickname wrote:
>>> That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
>>> It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
>>> funtions while driving.
>>>
>>> Glenn Beasley
>>> Chrysler Tech

>> That "safety feature" is not a safety feature when the programming
>> is done by the front seat passenger/navigator/copilot.
>>
>> mdh
>>

> And that is why it cant be programmed by the front seat
> passenger/navigator/copilot when the vehicle is in motion!!

Because it's not a safety feature? Your logic is flawed.

mdh

Old July 7th 06, 12:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Michael D. Henderson" > wrote in message
. ..
> damnnickname wrote:
> > That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
> > It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
> > funtions while driving.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler Tech

> That "safety feature" is not a safety feature when the programming
> is done by the front seat passenger/navigator/copilot.

Yet your "about to buy it" anyway. So in other words, your basically
telling Chrysler that you really like the nav feature of it not being
programm
able. That is called voting with your feet.

Why not just buy the van without the nav thing and buy an aftermarket
nav thing? Or, better yet, get free road maps from AAA.

Ted

Old July 8th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Michael D. Henderson

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Michael D. Henderson" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> damnnickname wrote:
>>> That saftey feature is there for a reason. Would you watch TV and drive?
>>> It will not let you program a destination but will allow to use other
>>> funtions while driving.
>>>
>>> Glenn Beasley
>>> Chrysler Tech

>> That "safety feature" is not a safety feature when the programming
>> is done by the front seat passenger/navigator/copilot.
>>

> Yet your "about to buy it" anyway. So in other words, your basically
> telling Chrysler that you really like the nav feature of it not being
> programm
> able. That is called voting with your feet.
>
> Why not just buy the van without the nav thing and buy an aftermarket
> nav thing? Or, better yet, get free road maps from AAA.
>
> Ted

That's right. I am "about" to buy it. That means the decision
isn't final. That's why I am checking to see if it could be made to fit
my needs. If so, then I "will" make the purchase; If not, then I'll
find something else that works for me, perhaps the van with an
aftermarket GPS, just you suggested. You and I are in perfect agreement
about voting with one's feet. I wish everyone felt the same and acted
accordingly.

Thanks,
mdh

New radio for C4 or fix Bose system Empty3 Corvette 8 May 24th 06 02:55 PM
RSC warning system, my final thread and summary Jeff Reid Simulators 29 September 3rd 05 04:22 AM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
2002 L300 Wagon 37000 miles Ed Saturn 9 January 6th 05 01:16 PM
'01 Stratus heater issues [email protected] Chrysler 10 December 17th 04 12:14 AM