E30 rear discs

Old January 31st 05, 06:52 PM
David Haggas

Default E30 rear discs

Had some new rear discs and pads fitted (E30 325 Sport 1990) and there now
is an intermittent grinding/thumping noise coming from the near side rear
wheel. I can stop it by applying the handbrake one notch but the situation
is unsatisfactory. Anyone know the possible cause of the fault?

David

Old January 31st 05, 07:08 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
David Haggas > wrote:
> Had some new rear discs and pads fitted (E30 325 Sport 1990) and there
> now is an intermittent grinding/thumping noise coming from the near side
> rear wheel. I can stop it by applying the handbrake one notch but the
> situation is unsatisfactory. Anyone know the possible cause of the fault?

The handbrake on these is a separate drum brake inside the disk. Could be
there's muck in there, or problems with the shoes - although they've
usually got a long life. But it could be other things - I'd take it back
to whoever fitted them and complain. ;-)

First, though, there's a procedure for bedding in the shoes - it's in your
handbook. Apply the handbrake until it's just working and drive for a mile
or so at low speed.

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 1st 05, 10:04 AM
David Haggas

"Dave Plowman (News)" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> David Haggas > wrote:
> > Had some new rear discs and pads fitted (E30 325 Sport 1990) and there
> > now is an intermittent grinding/thumping noise coming from the near side
> > rear wheel. I can stop it by applying the handbrake one notch but the
> > situation is unsatisfactory. Anyone know the possible cause of the

fault?

> The handbrake on these is a separate drum brake inside the disk. Could be
> there's muck in there, or problems with the shoes - although they've
> usually got a long life. But it could be other things - I'd take it back
> to whoever fitted them and complain. ;-)
>
> First, though, there's a procedure for bedding in the shoes - it's in your
> handbook. Apply the handbrake until it's just working and drive for a mile
> or so at low speed.

It is going back on Monday. Looks like there is a problem with the drum
brake. Do new handbrake parts come with a new set of discs or would they use
the old bits? This is a BMW dealer doing the work! They told me nothing
about the bedding in procedure for the handbrake parts which i would have
thought was fairly important - the same goes for bedding in the discs. They
are so busy these days (having turned into something resembling a car
supermarket) they probably don't have the time to bother...

David

Old February 1st 05, 07:54 PM
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
David Haggas > wrote:
> > First, though, there's a procedure for bedding in the shoes - it's in
> > your handbook. Apply the handbrake until it's just working and drive
> > for a mile or so at low speed.

> It is going back on Monday. Looks like there is a problem with the drum
> brake. Do new handbrake parts come with a new set of discs or would they
> use the old bits?

As I said, the handbrake shoes are rarely very worn, so possibly no need
to change them with the discs. But they should be bedded in afterwards.
But if they'd fitted new ones you'd have been charged for them.

> This is a BMW dealer doing the work! They told me
> nothing about the bedding in procedure for the handbrake parts which i
> would have thought was fairly important - the same goes for bedding in
> the discs. They are so busy these days (having turned into something
> resembling a car supermarket) they probably don't have the time to
> bother...

Welcome to the world of UK BMW dealers. Near useless, the lot of them - or
at least those I've used. If you find a good one, treat them like a rich
relative about to pop his clogs...;-)

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *