Noisy Vehicle Law

Old March 8th 05, 08:08 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

Default Noisy Vehicle Law

You'll be happy to know that an Oregon state legislator, Mitch Greenlick
(D-Portland) introduced a bill that would make the production of
unnecessarily loud noise on a vehicle an offense, punishable by a fine of up
to $720.

If you're interested, it's House Bill 2822.

Old March 9th 05, 01:27 AM
Daniel J. Stern

> You'll be happy to know that an Oregon state legislator, Mitch Greenlick
> (D-Portland) introduced a bill that would make the production of
> unnecessarily loud noise on a vehicle an offense, punishable by a fine
> of up to $720. If you're interested, it's House Bill 2822.

Uh-huh. Except that laws which contain terms like "unnecessarily loud" or
"unnecessarily bright" or "unnecessarily glaring" are unenforceable,
'cause there's no objective standard of what constitutes "unnecessary".

DS
Old March 9th 05, 02:47 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

>> You'll be happy to know that an Oregon state legislator, Mitch Greenlick
>> (D-Portland) introduced a bill that would make the production of
>> unnecessarily loud noise on a vehicle an offense, punishable by a fine
>> of up to $720. If you're interested, it's House Bill 2822.

> Uh-huh. Except that laws which contain terms like "unnecessarily loud" or
> "unnecessarily bright" or "unnecessarily glaring" are unenforceable,
> 'cause there's no objective standard of what constitutes "unnecessary".

That's just a logistics problem--when and if it passes out of committee, all
they'll need to do is set a decibel level threshold. Thurston County in
Washington State did this in the 1980s and enforced it assiduously.

We've already decided what's unnecessary here on the board

Old March 9th 05, 03:43 AM
N8N

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> > You'll be happy to know that an Oregon state legislator, Mitch

Greenlick
> > (D-Portland) introduced a bill that would make the production of
> > unnecessarily loud noise on a vehicle an offense, punishable by a

fine
> > of up to $720. If you're interested, it's House Bill 2822.

> Uh-huh. Except that laws which contain terms like "unnecessarily

loud" or
> "unnecessarily bright" or "unnecessarily glaring" are unenforceable,
> 'cause there's no objective standard of what constitutes

"unnecessary".

> DS

Well, there's already standards, or at least guidelines for
"unnecessarily glaring..."

Oh, right. I'll shut up now.

nate

Old March 9th 05, 06:04 AM
zmike6

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:08:41 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>You'll be happy to know that an Oregon state legislator, Mitch Greenlick
>(D-Portland) introduced a bill that would make the production of
>unnecessarily loud noise on a vehicle an offense, punishable by a fine of up
>to $720.
>
>If you're interested, it's House Bill 2822.

What's the fine for a neighbor's loud barking dog in Oregon? That's
much more annoying than the temporary noise of a loud vehicle driving
by. If the fine for vehicles is $720, I'd make the fine for barking
dogs $720 per day (or per bark).
Old March 9th 05, 03:04 PM
Cory Dunkle

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> You'll be happy to know that an Oregon state legislator, Mitch Greenlick
> (D-Portland) introduced a bill that would make the production of
> unnecessarily loud noise on a vehicle an offense, punishable by a fine of

up
> to $720.
>
> If you're interested, it's House Bill 2822.

Interesting. Truckers may get into trouble with this one if it is equally
and fairly enforced. Also, hopefully those rude people who think it's fun to
honk the horn every time they lock their car will get plenty of fines. Or
heck, maybe the liberals will grow a brain and perhaps decide it would be
best to grow up about this stuff and maybe... just maybe, like in a country
where we have some freedoms left. I doubt that'll ever happen though.

Old March 9th 05, 04:15 PM
TCS

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 19:27:08 -0500, Daniel J. Stern > wrote:

>> You'll be happy to know that an Oregon state legislator, Mitch Greenlick
>> (D-Portland) introduced a bill that would make the production of
>> unnecessarily loud noise on a vehicle an offense, punishable by a fine
>> of up to $720. If you're interested, it's House Bill 2822.

>Uh-huh. Except that laws which contain terms like "unnecessarily loud" or
>"unnecessarily bright" or "unnecessarily glaring" are unenforceable,
>'cause there's no objective standard of what constitutes "unnecessary".

bull****.

I bet if I were to fit a firetruck's air horn to my car and pull up to your
driveway and hit it at 6am, you'd have a pretty good idea if it was
"unnecessarily loud."

There a gray area where you can't draw the line, but it's simple to detect when
on the other side of the gray area.