Alloy Wheels

Old July 2nd 04, 02:24 PM
MarkK

Unfortunate turn of phrase there :-)

> >>However, my TSpark is 4 stud
> >> and the 3.0 was 5 Stud. Stupidly, I assumed that 164s would all have

the
> >> same wheel fixings. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to wheels, so

can
> >> anyone tell me:
> >>
> >> a) why they have different stud patterns on these models

> > Because they do?
> > 5 stud wheels are considered better on fast cars?
> > Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
> > function?
> > I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
> > studs. Well not odd, just silly.
> >>
> >> b) if there's anything I can do to get these wheels on my car.

> > Fit 5 stud hubs.
> > Preferably from the same car as the wheels came from.
> > Are they the same size?
> >

> After much searching, new hubs seems to be the answer. It all depends on
> whether I will need new discs and calipers with the new hubs. A bloke at

my
> local garage reckoned it would cost a fortune, but if I can get the hubs

off
> a scrap 164 V6 it shouldn't be too hard to swap them over should it?
> (assuming that the discs and calipers aren't a problem).

You'll need new discs - they each have the right number of bolt holes,
funnily enough. Is it that hard to pop a wheel off? You'd have got all the
answers without having to broadcast your buying error all over usenet :-)

If you do change the hubs, discs and wheels, don't forget to tell your
insurer...

Mark

Old July 2nd 04, 02:35 PM
Tom Boltwood

> From: "MarkK" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
> Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:24:11 +0100
> Subject: Alloy Wheels
>
> "Tom Boltwood" > wrote in message
>>

>>> From: Colonel Tupperware >
>>> Newsgroups: alt.autos.alfa-romeo
>>> Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 16:21:10 +0100
>>> Subject: Alloy Wheels

> the

> can

>>> Because they do?
>>> 5 stud wheels are considered better on fast cars?
>>> Or the usual Italian answer; because the Italians prefer form over
>>> function?
>>> I find it odd that the same basic model has a different number of
>>> studs. Well not odd, just silly.

>>> Fit 5 stud hubs.
>>> Preferably from the same car as the wheels came from.
>>> Are they the same size?
>>>

>> After much searching, new hubs seems to be the answer. It all depends on
>> whether I will need new discs and calipers with the new hubs. A bloke at

> my
>> local garage reckoned it would cost a fortune, but if I can get the hubs

> off
>> a scrap 164 V6 it shouldn't be too hard to swap them over should it?
>> (assuming that the discs and calipers aren't a problem).

> You'll need new discs - they each have the right number of bolt holes,
> funnily enough. Is it that hard to pop a wheel off? You'd have got all the
> answers without having to broadcast your buying error all over usenet :-)

Well you know what they say about assumption, but surely you can't blame me
for assuming that different variants of the same model from the same
manufacturer would have the same stud pattern?

Getting those bloody wheel trims on and off without snapping them is such a
bloody arse as well. It wasn't till I checked the spare wheel that I
realised.

Old July 2nd 04, 09:02 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:05:48 +0100, "MarkK" >
wrote:

>"Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
.. .

>> >Stupid answer. It has to do with the torque that the studs have to cope

>with
>> >(excuse my english) That's the reason that 3.0v6 has 5 and the 2.0 Tspark
>> >has 4.

>> Sorry but thats bollox.
>> The only torque the studs have to cope with is that which is applied
>> through the nuts.

>Perhaps you could explain to us exactly how you think the torque from the
>engine gets to the tyre's contact patch?

It doesnt go through the studs.
The nuts clamp the wheel to the hub. That is all they do.
The hub transfers the torque to the wheel because it is clamped on to
the hub. How it is clamped is largely irrelevent, just that it is.

The studs do not transfer turning force to anything as they are not
being turned axialy.

Look at other vehicle types and see how they attach the wheels to the
hubs. I'm thinking of, for example, formula 1 with 1 nut and old type
US truck wheels, with 6 clamps on the rims.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997
Old July 2nd 04, 09:44 PM
Arjan Renting

On 2-7-2004 22:02, Colonel Tupperware wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 14:05:48 +0100, "MarkK" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
. ..

>>with

>>>Sorry but thats bollox.
>>>The only torque the studs have to cope with is that which is applied
>>>through the nuts.

>>Perhaps you could explain to us exactly how you think the torque from the
>>engine gets to the tyre's contact patch?
>>

> It doesnt go through the studs.
> The nuts clamp the wheel to the hub. That is all they do.
> The hub transfers the torque to the wheel because it is clamped on to
> the hub. How it is clamped is largely irrelevent, just that it is.
>
> The studs do not transfer turning force to anything as they are not
> being turned axialy.

Yep, though I can only recall that my cars had bolts instead of studs
and nuts. The bolts will contain:
* torque which is applied through a wrench (as you said). Does this
force last in time?;
* tensile stress (as a result from the torque applied through a wrench);
* shear force (if it is not all taken by the friction between the wheel
and the hubs);
* bending stress (if it is not all taken by the friction between the
wheel and the hubs);

> Look at other vehicle types and see how they attach the wheels to the
> hubs. I'm thinking of, for example, formula 1 with 1 nut and old type
> US truck wheels, with 6 clamps on the rims.

Still, 5 studs can still stand more force in total then 4 studs with of
the same size and distance from the heart of the wheel can stand.

Arjan
Old July 4th 04, 10:28 AM
SS

I'd agree.
predominatly Shear and maybe some Bending.

SS

Bubbly Wheels Halmyre Alfa Romeo 2 June 30th 04 08:49 PM
GT Wheels on a 156 Graeme Cosgrove Alfa Romeo 1 May 15th 04 05:08 PM
Best place to buy Alfa 147 17" wheels (UK) Extra Alfa Romeo 0 April 27th 04 05:06 PM
156 Wheels for sale... Pacman Alfa Romeo 0 April 26th 04 12:30 PM