2004 sebring 2.4l 16 v engine 118000 kms on clock

Old November 13th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aquatame

Default 2004 sebring 2.4l 16 v engine 118000 kms on clock

I have recently bought a 2004 Sebring with the 2.4L 16 V engine.
I really like the car but have noticed a ticking noise which is worse
when the car is warmed up. I am quite sure it is a cam follower.
The car has been dealer serviced and the oil has been changed every
5000 kms.... Oil is still a golden colour.
Last oil change done by canadian tyre......
The previous owner had it since new and has all the reciepts.....
Is there much chance that canadian tyre could have used the wrong
viscosity oil which is causing the noise?
Are these engines prone to this problem?
Would this be an expensive thing to replace?
Could i do it if i get a manual?
I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Jon

Thread archive: http://www.AutoBoardz.com/2004-sebri...ict250241.html
Old November 13th 08, 11:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

aquatame wrote:
> I have recently bought a 2004 Sebring with the 2.4L 16 V engine.
> I really like the car but have noticed a ticking noise which is worse
> when the car is warmed up. I am quite sure it is a cam follower.
> The car has been dealer serviced and the oil has been changed every
> 5000 kms.... Oil is still a golden colour.
> Last oil change done by canadian tyre......
> The previous owner had it since new and has all the reciepts.....
> Is there much chance that canadian tyre could have used the wrong
> viscosity oil which is causing the noise?
> Are these engines prone to this problem?
> Would this be an expensive thing to replace?
> Could i do it if i get a manual?
> I would really appreciate any advice.
>
> Thanks
> Jon

Don't know if this relates to your car or not, but receipts don't prove
anything regarding oil/filter changes. It is not uncommon at all for
consumers to be charges for such services and the work not done - and
that includes from dealers. I have personally witnessed this with oil
and filter changes more than once (these places rely on the consumer
being ignorant or just not checking behind them), as well as videos
being available from sting/exposé operations proving same. Again - not
saying that is the case for yours, but it wouldn't at all be unusual.

You might do a cleanout using Marvel Mystery Oil. Put 8 ozs. in with an
oil change, and repeat forever for a gradual controlled cleanout and
future preventative. Change the oil and filter again at 1500 miles the
first time after you add the MMO. The noise could be from a lifter with
a piece of dirt in it that might purge itself out with some cleaning

Also consider that accessory belts and their idler/tensioner pulleys can
mimic valve train noises - the pulley bearings do wear out and should be
replaced periodically (I do mine every other belt change).

How many miles on the engine? The timing belt is due for change at 60k
miles, and the engine is interference, meaning that if it breaks, there
will be very expensive engine damage. Water pump is timing belt driven
and should be replaced at the same time. It is possible that the timing
belt or its tensioner are making noise too.

Find out if there are any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) on it for
valve train noise/issues.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 13th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KirkM

On Nov 13, 4:16*am, Bill Putney > wrote:
> aquatame wrote:
> > I have recently bought a 2004 Sebring with the 2.4L 16 V engine.
> > I really like the car but have noticed a ticking noise which is worse
> > when the car is warmed up. I am quite sure it is a cam follower.
> > The car has been dealer serviced and the oil has been changed every
> > 5000 kms.... Oil is still a golden colour.
> > Last oil change done by canadian tyre......
> > The previous owner had it since new and has all the reciepts.....
> > Is there much chance that canadian tyre could have used the wrong
> > viscosity oil which is causing the noise?
> > Are these engines prone to this problem?
> > Would this be an expensive thing to replace?
> > Could i do it if i get a manual?
> > I would really appreciate any advice.

> > Thanks
> > Jon

> Don't know if this relates to your car or not, but receipts don't prove
> anything regarding oil/filter changes. *It is not uncommon at all for
> consumers to be charges for such services and the work not done - and
> that includes from dealers. *I have personally witnessed this with oil
> and filter changes more than once (these places rely on the consumer
> being ignorant or just not checking behind them), as well as videos
> being available from sting/exposé operations proving same. *Again - not
> saying that is the case for yours, but it wouldn't at all be unusual.
>
> You might do a cleanout using Marvel Mystery Oil. *Put 8 ozs. in with an
> oil change, and repeat forever for a gradual controlled cleanout and
> future preventative. *Change the oil and filter again at 1500 miles the
> first time after you add the MMO. *The noise could be from a lifter with
> a piece of dirt in it that might purge itself out with some cleaning
>
> Also consider that accessory belts and their idler/tensioner pulleys can
> mimic valve train noises - the pulley bearings do wear out and should be
> replaced periodically (I do mine every other belt change).
>
> How many miles on the engine? *The timing belt is due for change at 60k
> miles, and the engine is interference, meaning that if it breaks, there
> will be very expensive engine damage. *Water pump is timing belt driven
> and should be replaced at the same time. *It is possible that the timing
> belt or its tensioner are making noise too.
>
> Find out if there are any Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) on it for
> valve train noise/issues.
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')- Hide quoted text -

The 2.4L in my Stratus just reached 90,000 miles. I am planning on a
timing belt change at 95,000.

Since the OP has a 2004, it would have the newer "wind up" timing belt
tensioner. Other than a timing belt change, I can't think of anything
else this engine would need.

-KM
Old November 13th 08, 10:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aquatame

thanks for the advice Bill.
Where would one go to find the TSB"S?
the engine has 118000 kms which is around 70,000 miles I think.

Old November 13th 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

KirkM wrote:

> The 2.4L in my Stratus just reached 90,000 miles. I am planning on a
> timing belt change at 95,000.

Some reason you are ignoring the recommended 60k mile change interval
given in the Gates book (I assume it is the correct info.)? You do
realize what happens if the belt craps out? Perhaps yours is a
California car, which has a 100k interval?

> Since the OP has a 2004, it would have the newer "wind up" timing belt
> tensioner. Other than a timing belt change, I can't think of anything
> else this engine would need.
>
> -KM

The part that goes bad on tensioners regardless of how they are adjusted
are the bearings for the tensioner pulley. I can't tell if you are or
are not planning on replacing that with the belt, but you definitely
should. Also - the water pump is driven by the timing belt (again, if
the Gates Timing Belt Guide is correct). It would be wrong not to also
replace the water pump when you replace the belt, particularly at close
to 100k miles since you will already be in there. Again, the
consequences of the water pump going out (say, locking up) would be
expensive, as people have often found out on cars with the water pump
stupidly driven by the t-belt (or chain, as in the 2.7L Chrysler engine).

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 14th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article <1215362_c5aa2259d3a5f832fc5c7e33129e2d8d@autoboar dz.com>,
aquatame > wrote:

> The car has been dealer serviced and the oil has been changed every
> 5000 kms.... Oil is still a golden colour.
> Last oil change done by canadian tyre......
> The previous owner had it since new and has all the reciepts.....
> Is there much chance that canadian tyre could have used the wrong
> viscosity oil which is causing the noise?

The last place I'd get an oil change is Canadian Tire (CTC).

Also I recommend a higher grade of oil, such as Castrol GTX.
What oil type was the dealer using, synthetic?
Old November 14th 08, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
KirkM

On Nov 13, 3:28*pm, Bill Putney > wrote:
> KirkM wrote:
> > The 2.4L in my Stratus just reached 90,000 miles. I am planning on a
> > timing belt change at 95,000.

> Some reason you are ignoring the recommended 60k mile change interval
> given in the Gates book (I assume it is the correct info.)? *You do
> realize what happens if the belt craps out? *Perhaps yours is a
> California car, which has a 100k interval?
>
> > Since the OP has a 2004, it would have the newer "wind up" timing belt
> > tensioner. Other than a timing belt change, I can't think of anything
> > else this engine would need.

> > -KM

> The part that goes bad on tensioners regardless of how they are adjusted
> are the bearings for the tensioner pulley. *I can't tell if you are or
> are not planning on replacing that with the belt, but you definitely
> should. *Also - the water pump is driven by the timing belt (again, if
> the Gates Timing Belt Guide is correct). *It would be wrong not to also
> replace the water pump when you replace the belt, particularly at close
> to 100k miles since you will already be in there. *Again, the
> consequences of the water pump going out (say, locking up) would be
> expensive, as people have often found out on cars with the water pump
> stupidly driven by the t-belt (or chain, as in the 2.7L Chrysler engine).
>
> --
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> address with the letter 'x')

The change interval for the timing belt in the owners manual specifies
101,000 miles. I am planning to do it at 95,000.
As you indicate, I will have them change the water pump at the same
time. I had a 1990 Dodge Spirit with a 2.5L engine.
The change interval for the timing belt was specified was for 50,000
miles.

When my 2.4 had 53,000 miles, I had to have headgasket changed. It was
a common problem for early 2.4's. I asked the
shop if it would make sense to go ahead and change the timing belt.
They assured me that it was still in good condition, and
would most likely make it to the recommended 101,000 change interval.

Is my owner's manual incorrect?

Thanks,

KM

Old November 14th 08, 10:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

KirkM wrote:

> Is my owner's manual incorrect?

I'm sure your owner's manual is correct. The Gates manual shows 90k,
100k, and 105k for the Stratus 2.4 depending on year, and you don't say
what year.

For the OP's engine, I had looked at the wrong engine in the Gates
guide. The OP's change interval is 90,000 miles according to Gates.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old November 14th 08, 06:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

KirkM wrote:

> The change interval for the timing belt in the owners manual specifies
> 101,000 miles. I am planning to do it at 95,000.
> As you indicate, I will have them change the water pump at the same
> time. I had a 1990 Dodge Spirit with a 2.5L engine.
> The change interval for the timing belt was specified was for 50,000
> miles.

Which is patently bizarre. If the timing belt on a 1990 2.5 were to
break, the engine spins harmlessly to a stop with all the pistons
clearing all the valves. New belt and you're on your way. Conversely, if
the belt breaks on a 2.4, you're in for new valves (at least) and maybe
a complete overhaul. 2.5s weren't notorious belt-breakers, either.

Old November 14th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe Pfeiffer

Steve > writes:

> KirkM wrote:
>

>> The change interval for the timing belt in the owners manual specifies
>> 101,000 miles. I am planning to do it at 95,000.
>> As you indicate, I will have them change the water pump at the same
>> time. I had a 1990 Dodge Spirit with a 2.5L engine.
>> The change interval for the timing belt was specified was for 50,000
>> miles.

> Which is patently bizarre. If the timing belt on a 1990 2.5 were to
> break, the engine spins harmlessly to a stop with all the pistons
> clearing all the valves. New belt and you're on your way. Conversely,
> if the belt breaks on a 2.4, you're in for new valves (at least) and
> maybe a complete overhaul. 2.5s weren't notorious belt-breakers,
> either.

Not sure why that makes it bizarre -- I look at those figures and see
that either timing belt materials are improving or Chrysler is getting
less conservative with its change interval.

The change interval should be set on making sure it's changed before
it breaks, not on how much damage happens if it does break.

2004 Sebring Touring Oil Changes... The Henchman[_2_] Chrysler 9 November 20th 07 10:36 PM
Diagnostic code P 73 on 2004 sebring W Chrysler 0 September 21st 06 11:55 PM
Set Clock 2004 CRV news Honda 1 December 27th 05 02:07 AM
2004 Sebring 4 cyl questions Jeff Falkiner Chrysler 5 June 16th 05 08:44 PM
Setting the clock in a 2004 Civic stock radio inhot Honda 1 May 16th 05 03:55 PM