Has anybody seen....

Old December 6th 04, 01:33 AM
Matt Macchiarolo

http://www.lambocars.com/lm/lm.htm

The "HUMMWV" look to it is no accident, if memory serves Lamborgini designed
it around the specs for what would become the military hummer...proved to be
too expensive and complicated (even by Pentagon standards) to get Lambo the
contract, nevermind the thought of the Army tooling around in Italian
vehicles...so they sell them primarily to Middle Eastern oil tycoons.

I saw one of these up close when I was in college. The are a LOT bigger than
they look.

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Why is that a surprise? Ferrari with Maserati plan to build 4X4s:

http://www.fantasycars.com/1/News/Ma...ati_to_build_4
x4_.html
> And Lamborghini does: http://www.lambocars.com/lm/lm.htm
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> Joseph P wrote:
> >
> > Funny you should mention that, apparently Enzo Ferrari was once quoted

as

Old December 6th 04, 04:24 AM
A.B.

Respectfully, that’s not entirely correct. Lamborghini never intended
for the LM to be a military vehicle. It’s hand built (I believe only 300
were made), it has a v12 petrol engine out of the Diablo sports car,
luxurious interior, One of a kind specially made Pirelli tires designed
by Pirelli with camel foot like edge that sells for more than $1000 a
peace, it has an expensive and elaborate filtering system to provide
very clean for the delicate engine and a phenomenal price tag. This car
was built for just one audience: The Middle Eastern oil tycoons.

Believe it or not its off-road performance wasn’t that exceptional. It
was too heavy and too cumbersome. It speeded up hills and dunes like a
rocket as long as it got a good grip. As soon as it hit loose sand and
looses a bit of grip, its heavy weight and that powerful motor would
make it spin and dig itself in a fraction of a second. A Jeep wouldn’t
go as fast but it will definitely reach the destination first.

Old December 6th 04, 04:24 AM
A.B.

Old December 6th 04, 08:53 AM
Dave Milne

looks like they did with the LM002..

"The Lamborghini LM002 has never reached it's full potential, the
Middle-Eastern armies didn't order large numbers of it, and an attempt to
sell it to the United States wasn't met with the enthusiasm needed to boost
sales"

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old December 6th 04, 08:53 AM
Dave Milne

Old December 6th 04, 10:25 AM
Preston Kemp

A.B. wrote:

> Respectfully, that’s not entirely correct. Lamborghini never intended
> for the LM to be a military vehicle.

According to a book I've got on LMs, the original rear engined V8 LM
was designed as a fast border patrol vehicle for desert use. I suspect
the V12 Countach engined models were destined for a different market.

They even built one model around the 7 litre V12 Lambo engine used in
off-shore powerboat racing - bet that's fun in the dunes!

--
Preston.

http://www.muddystuff.co.uk
Off-road classifieds

Old December 6th 04, 10:25 AM
Preston Kemp

Old December 6th 04, 12:24 PM
DougW

Dave Milne did pass the time by typing:
> looks like they did with the LM002..
>
> "The Lamborghini LM002 has never reached it's full potential, the
> Middle-Eastern armies didn't order large numbers of it, and an attempt to
> sell it to the United States wasn't met with the enthusiasm needed to boost
> sales"

IIRC, they didn't sell any to the Saudi's because it was too heavy and
sank in the sand.

--
DougW

Old December 6th 04, 12:24 PM
DougW

Old December 6th 04, 12:58 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

That's probably what I was remembering...I remember reading about it a long
time ago...

.uk...