530i front suspension

Old May 5th 06, 11:15 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default 530i front suspension

I have a bad shudder noise coming from front right suspension over
small and large bumps. I know the car needs new shocks, but this
affects steering -- like bump-steer and redirection over unevenness.
Any known issues with this vehicle, or just due for a
steering/suspension overhaul?

If it's the latter, is there any way to improve the handling while
retaining ride height and quality, or is the factory set up pretty much
as good as that gets?

Old May 5th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

> wrote
>I have a bad shudder noise coming from front right suspension over
> small and large bumps. I know the car needs new shocks, but this
> affects steering -- like bump-steer and redirection over unevenness.
> Any known issues with this vehicle, or just due for a
> steering/suspension overhaul?
>
> If it's the latter, is there any way to improve the handling while
> retaining ride height and quality, or is the factory set up pretty much
> as good as that gets?
>This is a '95, 5-speed, unmodified, elderly driver.

It almost certainly needs new upper and lower control arms (ball
joints). They almost always need replacement in the 100-125K miles
range. Might as well replace the strut cartridges while you're at it.
Best method of tightening the car up is to go for stiffer cartridges
than the Boge OEM.

If you have the original 205/65R15 tires, go to the 225/60R15 size, too.

FloydR '91 525i
Old May 5th 06, 11:59 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

http://www.bmwe34.net/

the 2 best sites for your exact car.
front end parts are often problematic for an e34, search there for your
issue, you will find tons of info, we talk about your exacty issue at least
twice a week!

Old May 6th 06, 05:04 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Blown front shocks, or more specifically, one blown front shock, will cause
a violent shudder when hitting bumps.

Start there, as you already acknowledge that they are bad, and go further if
you have to.

Brett Anderson
KMS - Koala Motorsport

ups.com...

Old May 6th 06, 06:40 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

BTW - You can take Brett's info as gold, he has enough experience to know!