94 Grand Am-Possible starter prob, heeelp!

Old March 14th 05, 11:27 PM
Kevin

Default 94 Grand Am-Possible starter prob, heeelp!

Hey folks -- 94 Pontiac Grand Am v6 3.1L

I am almost positive that I'm having a starter problem.

Going back months, I'd get into the car and go to start it. It would
start, and I'd release the keys, but the car still sounded like I was
cranking it. I'd immediately put my foot on the break, and put it in
gear, and the phantom crank would go away. This happened several times,
but not enough to worry a broke college student.

Fast forward to 1/2 way through February. I went to start the car, and
the phantom crank returned, but it would not stop. God, this was
painful to listen to. I had no tools, I could not disconnect the
battery. The phantom crank continued until it eventually faded out. The
car started the next day. I drove across campus, did my business, and
came back. The car wouldn't start. I disconnected the battery (I had my
tools), reconnected it. Nothing. After more tinkering the car started.
The next day, nothing, and my car didnt start for weeks. Last Thursday,
while passing my car, I decided to try and start it like I had several
times before, and it started. I turned it off, and it started again.
The next day I drove my friend to court, and after returning to campus,
I attempted to start my car. Nothing. It didn't work the next day, and
I haven't tried since.

I have a new starter, but I can't install it here bec I can't find jack
stands (the starter is accessable from underneath the car).

Can someone tell me if I've diagnosed this correctly, and tell me why
the car started after weeks of non-useage, but now won't work again?
Also, any pointers on taking out/installing the new starter would be
appreciated...Never done it before.

Thanks.

-Kevin

Old March 15th 05, 01:49 AM
Spud Demon

"Kevin" > writes in article .com> dated 14 Mar 2005 14:27:05 -0800:
>Going back months, I'd get into the car and go to start it. It would
>start, and I'd release the keys, but the car still sounded like I was
>cranking it.

I think the problem is the starter solonoid. It's a relay, controlled by
the ignition, which sends battery voltage to the starter. If it's working
properly and you turn the key back out of the start position, there should
be no voltage on the starter and therefore no cranking sound.

It sounds like this solonoid was getting stuck "on", and now it's getting
stuck "off" too. It's a cheaper, easier repair than the starter motor.

All this abuse could have fried the starter motor too, but I would recommend
replacing the solonoid first.

>Also, any pointers on taking out/installing the new starter would be
>appreciated...Never done it before.

You can find the starter solonoid by following the thickest cable from the
positive terminal of your battery. Then there's another thick cable going
from there to the starter motor, and also a thin one going to the ignition
switch.

-- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.
Old March 15th 05, 04:54 AM
« Paul »

Kevin wrote:

> Hey folks -- 94 Pontiac Grand Am v6 3.1L
>
> I am almost positive that I'm having a starter problem.
>
> Going back months, I'd get into the car and go to start it. It would
> start, and I'd release the keys, but the car still sounded like I was
> cranking it.

Possible stuck ignition switch.
I don't recall if 94 has the kind of switch that catches on fire.
You might want to do some diagnosis instead of randomly replacing parts.