Chrysler hemi and air pollution

Old June 21st 05, 07:11 PM
Art

Default Chrysler hemi and air pollution

I was looking at EPA figures for mileage for the 300C (trying to convince my
spouse to consider the Dodge Charger despite rising oil prices) and noticed
that the hemi is a much cleaner engine than the engine in the Avalon and
Ford 500.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:36 AM
tim bur

gee go figure a hipo engine and it's cleaner burning!!! isn't efficient
combustion
a cool thing

Old June 22nd 05, 04:30 PM
Steve

Dual spark plugs and a LOT of computer simulation into combustion
chamber and induction/exhaust design- a very cool thing indeed! One of
the big issues with bringing back the Hemi head was keeping emissions
under control. The original Hemi had a lot of trouble both with NOx
(from high compression) and HC (from the fact that parts of the chamber
tended to be shrouded until the piston had moved down a significant
distance). The new Hemi head addressed both of those issues very well.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:59 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 10:30:04 -0500, Steve wrote:

> Dual spark plugs and a LOT of computer simulation into combustion
> chamber and induction/exhaust design- a very cool thing indeed! One of
> the big issues with bringing back the Hemi head was keeping emissions
> under control. The original Hemi had a lot of trouble both with NOx
> (from high compression) and HC (from the fact that parts of the chamber
> tended to be shrouded until the piston had moved down a significant
> distance). The new Hemi head addressed both of those issues very well.
>

>>>I was looking at EPA figures for mileage for the 300C (trying to convince my
>>>spouse to consider the Dodge Charger despite rising oil prices) and noticed
>>>that the hemi is a much cleaner engine than the engine in the Avalon and
>>>Ford 500.

However be prepared for really terrible fuel economy. The 300C combines
the performance of a rocket with the fuel economy of a rocket. I bought a
300C AWD a few weeks ago, I'm getting 15MPG. I agonized over the lousy gas
mileage before I bought it but decided that with the number of miles that
I drive, I've consistently averaged 12,000/year for the last 30 years,
that I could afford to feed it. The fuel cost difference between a 300C
and an Acura TL (which is the other car that I was considering) is only
$600/year at todays prices. Even if gas goes to $5 a gallon it's still
only $1250 a year more. If you can afford the extra $1000/year (and anyone
who can afford $40K for a car, which is what a 300C AWD goes for, can
afford the extra $10,000 in gas that the car will burn over it's life)
then go for it. You would have to spend $75K for a big Mercedes before you
found a comparable driving experience. I tested most everything below
$50K, Acura TL and RL, Infinity M35, Cadillac CRX, Lexus ES330, Lincoln
LS, Toyota Avalon and the Hybrid Honda Accord (a truely awful car). All of
the others were boring, most were competent especially the Acura TL, but
none stood out. The 300C feels like an incredibly powerful extension of
your body. It has incredible handling and of course it accelerates like it
has afterburners. One other thing that I noticed after I got it, it has a
very small turning radius for a car it's size, you point it somewhere and
it's there immediately.

Old June 22nd 05, 11:51 PM
NJ Vike

Which version?

I haven't seen the 6.1 out yet; limited supply?

I've seen the R/T but no Daytona yet. I also noticed that some came equipped
with racing stripes (several in cool vanilla, I believe) but when you build
and price them on the Dodge web site, there are no photos with the car like
this. Is this a dealer add on? I also noticed that one of the models even
had a little emblem on the side that said 340HP. Another add-on or factory?

I really like this car.

--
"Now Phoebe Snow direct can go
from thirty-third to Buffalo.

ink.net...

Old June 23rd 05, 01:50 AM
tim bur

turn off the traction control and it radius gets smaller going sideways

Old June 23rd 05, 10:40 PM
Bill Putney

Steve wrote:
> ...One of
> the big issues with bringing back the Hemi head was keeping emissions
> under control. The original Hemi had a lot of trouble both with NOx
> (from high compression) and HC (from the fact that parts of the chamber
> tended to be shrouded until the piston had moved down a significant
> distance). The new Hemi head addressed both of those issues very well.

Hmmm. There has been periodic discussion on the 300M Club forums over
the years in which it was convincingly claimed that many engines,
including the LH engines (3.2, 3.5, possibly the 2.7), are no less
hemi-head engines than ones that are "officially" designated by DC as
Hemi's. (Kind of reminds me of the Oldsmobile "Rocket V-8" debacle
wherein Oldsmobile got in legal trouble for substituting non-"Rocket"
engines in their cars when they temporarily ran out of them on the assy.
line, and the only difference between them and the non-"Rocket" GM
engines was a larger oil filter and a "Rocket V-8" decal. But I digress...)

What say you (and others in the know) on that claim?

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old June 24th 05, 01:31 AM
Art

Actually in the case of GM, they were accused of putting Chevrolet engines
in Oldsmobiles and if you got one of those cars, you couldn't even get your
oil filter changed at the Oldsmobile dealer. Oldsmobile didn't even make
the size engine that was in their cars. Really ticked customers off.

Old June 24th 05, 02:43 AM
Bill Putney

Hmmm - It's been a few years since I read the details, but my
recollection is that the "Rocket" engines were identical to the Cheby
engines except for the oil filter and the "Rocket" decal on the air
filter - and - oh yeah - I think the engine was painted a different
color. My strong recollection is that they really were the same engine
other than those things. I could be wrong - probably a Google search
would resolve our differing recollections.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old June 24th 05, 03:56 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Bill Putney wrote:

> Hmmm - It's been a few years since I read the details, but my
> recollection is that the "Rocket" engines were identical to the Cheby
> engines except for the oil filter and the "Rocket" decal on the air
> filter

Er...*NO*, Bill.

The Olds engines were completely different -- down to every nut, bolt and
screw -- from the Chev engines, even though certain of them (e.g. the 350)
had the same piston displacement.

> My strong recollection is that they really were the same engine other
> than those things.

Your strong recollection is strongly incorrect. Perhaps you're
misremembering that starting in 1977, GM began installing various
divisions' engines in various divisions' cars without informing customers.
Had I ordered a '77 Olds with a 350 engine and received not the Olds
engine but the grossly inferior Chevrolet item, I'd've been ****ed enough
to sue, too.