Need to change mileage on Sebring

Old June 20th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Default Need to change mileage on Sebring

Hello guys. I have a big dilemma. In my 97 Sebring convertible BCM (body
control module) went bad so I had to go to junk yard to buy another one. I
installed BCM and now instead of 90k it shows 25k. I need to sell the car
but the mileage is different and I can't sell it because the mileage is not
accurate. I have the old BCM and called Chrysler dealer they estimated to
fix the problem $1000. I was told that I have to buy a new BCM which cost
$800 plus $200 for labor. I would like to know if I can connect BCM memory
IC directly to my pc and download and upload all the data from old IC to a
new IC. I have a good experience soldering IC's in the past but never had a
problem like that. I'm not asking for step by step info just someone can
point me to the right direction such as datasheets, software, etc.

Old June 20th 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

Their is a space for milage on the pink slip
and a box to mark if the milage is incorrect.
Just make note of milage at the time of sale

Old June 20th 06, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

-Almazick- wrote:
> Hello guys. I have a big dilemma. In my 97 Sebring convertible BCM (body
> control module) went bad so I had to go to junk yard to buy another one. I
> installed BCM and now instead of 90k it shows 25k. I need to sell the car
> but the mileage is different and I can't sell it because the mileage is not
> accurate.

Most people would love to have this problem.

Old June 20th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

-Almazick- wrote:
> Hello guys. I have a big dilemma. In my 97 Sebring convertible BCM
> (body control module) went bad so I had to go to junk yard to buy
> another one. I installed BCM and now instead of 90k it shows 25k. I
> need to sell the car but the mileage is different and I can't sell it
> because the mileage is not accurate. I have the old BCM and called
> Chrysler dealer they estimated to fix the problem $1000. I was told
> that I have to buy a new BCM which cost $800 plus $200 for labor. I
> would like to know if I can connect BCM memory IC directly to my pc
> and download and upload all the data from old IC to a new IC. I have
> a good experience soldering IC's in the past but never had a problem
> like that. I'm not asking for step by step info just someone can
> point me to the right direction such as datasheets, software, etc.

you can't change the mileage,it's against the law.(even if it is wrong)

On the title there is a box for mileage discrepancy,as long as you disclose
the correct mileage to the buyer there is no problem.

Old June 21st 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

I sold a motorcycle a few years ago and accidentally checked that
'incorrect mileage' box. The buyer had to send me the paperwork to
change it back to be unchecked again, what a pain!
Frenchy

Old June 21st 06, 08:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"sqdancerLynn" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Their is a space for milage on the pink slip
> and a box to mark if the milage is incorrect.
> Just make note of milage at the time of sale

Do you think that the buyer is going to believe "It really has 90K miles
on it but I changed the BCM with one from a wrecking yard and so it
only looks like it has 25K" Most buyers would not.

I might believe him but even if I was buying the car I would tell the buyer
that I cannot trust that it doesen't have 90K miles on it, that I think it
is more likely it has 130K miles or even more. Why - because I know every
other
dumbass buyer that cannot inspect a car mechanically would think that,
and would not offer him what the car was really worth. Why be magnamimous
and offer him more than what everyone else would, even if I believed him?
This is just business.

The US average for miles driven per year is 14K miles, that is from the
US DOT. This is a 9 year old car. per US DOT if it has average mileage
it is gonna have 126K miles. And this is a convertible which is a sporty
car and those are typically driven more anyway. The seller shows a very
good grasp of the used car market when he thinks that the odometer
discrepancy is going to impact the sale price - it is!

What the seller needs to understand is that yes - he is gonna probably take
at least a $1K hit on the car price because of this - but he already got
that
$1K back when he got out of paying for a new BCM and used the wrecking
yard BCM. In other words there ain't no free lunch.

One of the sad facts of life is that when you do your own wrenching your
work isn't going to have market value if you ever decide to sell the car.
For
example in my case, last year I did my own transmission swap with a new
rebuilt
transmission. Do I have receipts showing that the rebuilt transmission I
bought
actually went into my van? No! I have a receipt showing I bought a rebuilt
transmission, and that is it. For all a buyer knows my van has some
wrecking
yard transmission that is 2 shakes from death's door and the receipt is for
a trans that went into some other van.

If you do your own wrenching you have to accept that it's going to impact
the resale value, that is life. If you don't like it, then pay others to
work on
your car.

Ted

Old June 21st 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

As others have said make note in the appropriate space on the title.
Especially if your state has pollution inspections because the state dmv
will know based on that.
Coasty

Old June 22nd 06, 05:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

> "sqdancerLynn" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
>> Their is a space for milage on the pink slip
>> and a box to mark if the milage is incorrect.
>> Just make note of milage at the time of sale
>>

> Do you think that the buyer is going to believe "It really has 90K miles
> on it but I changed the BCM with one from a wrecking yard and so it
> only looks like it has 25K" Most buyers would not.

Of course they'll believe it. You think they'd prefer to think it's got 25K
on it? It's not worth enough to rip anybody off with.

Old June 22nd 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

> On the other hand, Ted, I doubt that there are many cars in the used
> market with the kind of high miles that are on yours and mine when we sell
> them that aren't DIY maintained. Any buyer in that market is gonna assume
> that. > Bill Putney

You're exactly right. I've certainly not been tempted to boost my car's
value by paying mechanics. We all know that's a losing proposition.

Old June 22nd 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler

"TNKev" > wrote in message
reenews.net...
> -Almazick- wrote:
>> Hello guys. I have a big dilemma. In my 97 Sebring convertible BCM
>> (body control module) went bad so I had to go to junk yard to buy
>> another one. I installed BCM and now instead of 90k it shows 25k. I
>> need to sell the car but the mileage is different and I can't sell it
>> because the mileage is not accurate. I have the old BCM and called
>> Chrysler dealer they estimated to fix the problem $1000. I was told
>> that I have to buy a new BCM which cost $800 plus $200 for labor. I
>> would like to know if I can connect BCM memory IC directly to my pc
>> and download and upload all the data from old IC to a new IC. I have
>> a good experience soldering IC's in the past but never had a problem
>> like that. I'm not asking for step by step info just someone can
>> point me to the right direction such as datasheets, software, etc.

> you can't change the mileage,it's against the law.(even if it is wrong)
>
> On the title there is a box for mileage discrepancy,as long as you
> disclose the correct mileage to the buyer there is no problem.

Actually, when you check that box, you have absolved yourself completely of
that disclosure.