Fuel Pump Wont Pressurise

Old December 8th 04, 05:30 AM
Evan

Default Fuel Pump Wont Pressurise

Lately when I go to start my car the fuel pump will not turn on. I know
its the pump because I cannot hear the 2-3 second hum it should make.
Sometimes it will go after I turn the key from on to off several times,
other times it takes 5-10 minutes for it to finally go. It seems worse
when cold because in the afternoon it is not usually a problem. The
pump it self seems to work okay after it finally turns on, but has cut
out two or three times since it started acting up. The engine is from a
91 5.0 and has been placed into a 66.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Please describe throughly
as the relays and such are not located where they would be on a 91.

Old December 8th 04, 06:38 AM
Backyard Mechanic

Evan opined in oups.com:

> Lately when I go to start my car the fuel pump will not turn on. I know
> its the pump because I cannot hear the 2-3 second hum it should make.
> Sometimes it will go after I turn the key from on to off several times,
> other times it takes 5-10 minutes for it to finally go. It seems worse
> when cold because in the afternoon it is not usually a problem. The
> pump it self seems to work okay after it finally turns on, but has cut
> out two or three times since it started acting up. The engine is from a
> 91 5.0 and has been placed into a 66.
>
> Does anyone have an idea of what it could be? Please describe throughly
> as the relays and such are not located where they would be on a 91.

Well that makes it even better! You're going to have to find the EEC relay,
make sure it comes on, then the fuel pump relay... probably close to the ECM,
Do you hear a click when you turn it on?
Do you have an external fuel pump? If you do, start there and see if it is
getting power and ground

What do you mean "cut out"? while driving?

Do you have a check engine lite? Does it come on with key on??
If you dont have a CEL, then you will have to look for another sign of life
for the ECM, like putting a noid (injector test lite) to see if the injectors
fore while cranking

The ignition key on, turns on the EEC relay, which powers the ECM which
primes the pump for two seconds by switching on the Fuel relay

Old December 9th 04, 03:47 AM
KEITH MCCUMBER

The fuel pumps sometimes just wear out. I'm on my third one in my 88GT.

oups.com...